MLR K1...pace of play

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, I'd never thought of that. :confused:

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know some young players are slow but most of the slower players are older/seniors/ retired so all the time in the world to play but as I said before, it would only affect the slowest players in the club so 2 or 3 tee times
Again you're not recognising or aware of some of the realities. Amongst my fellow seniors there are those who have fixed childcare/ school run duties for their grandchildren; some have voluntary commitments to the community; some are carers for their spouses; some are still working. We mostly are a bit slower walking between shots but mostly don't hang around pretending to be versions of Kevin Na. I regularly check how long our four balls have taken and it's usually around 3 hours 30. In the medals I have played in this year, my group has always been up with the game in front. In short, none of it is as simple and straightforward as you maybe think it is.

In a slight digression, I have often noticed in events I have refereed involving a largely younger adult or youth field that time-wasting isn't confined to the putting green. There often seems to be an inordinate amount of nothing happening on the tee. With us seniors in club golf, we reach a tee and someone is straight up with club and ball and getting on with it. And as soon as he has played, the next one is on the tee getting on with it.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Just in the defence of Seniors, as we are generalising here, in my experience they are often among the quickest players. At my club, groups of Seniors play early mornings at weekends, and absolutely fly round. The Seniors that play main club comps are also quick. Perhaps experience has helped them learn efficiency?

Most of the slowest are some younger low handicappers, that walk a full 360 round every single putt. Or younger guys who have learnt their pre shot routine by watching Cantlay on TV, whilst also texting between every shot, or checking social media.