MGS...again.

User20204

Visit site
So let me understand what some are saying here, an independent company have done multiple testing of multiple balls and concluded that 3 companies come out on top in the most comprehensive independent golf ball testing so far and they just happen to be the very same companies that have total control over their production, yet it doesn't mean anything to a few folk on some golfing internet forum :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man I love the internet...

experts-experts-everywhere-u9fucp.jpg

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I may be picking this whole thing up wrongly or o haven't read/seen the correct reviews by MGS however all I've seen/heard are "accusations" with no material to back it up??

Also it appear that Titleist are driving the ball test, not that they would have anything to gain!!!

🤷

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interestingly I think different, I play off 4 and probably lose more balls in a month than your average 28 handicapper does in a year, in my experience, they don't hit it far enough to lose many balls, a PP of mine plays off 12 and hasn't lost a ball in two years, he's not long enough to. In regards if they can afford it, again, I'd say the opposite, they should NOT play a top ball if they couldn't afford it.
A 'top' (ie. expensive) ball will spin more - exactly what most handicap golfer with negative handicaps dont want anyway. Handicap golfers should be playing the hardest, lowest spinning (and fortunately cheapest) ball they can get their hands on. They less it spins, the less their lack of control will send the ball off line.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 'top' (ie. expensive) ball will spin more - exactly what most handicap golfer with negative handicaps dont want anyway. Handicap golfers should be playing the hardest, lowest spinning (and fortunately cheapest) ball they can get their hands on. They less it spins, the less their lack of control will send the ball off line.
What about a 80yrd shot over a bunker with the clubhouse windows right behind the green?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they fire it at the window, they will break it regardless of the spin on the ball !;)
If they fire at the window , they may hit a car in the car park.
My main point is you need spin to get the ball in the air and to stop it.

Pro v1x has low spin on long shots and high spin on short shots. Apparently???
But how does it know.?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
But how does it know.?
Have a look at the Snell web page where they have videos explaining that. Something to do with long shots compress more and the different pieces of a multi piece ball that engage at different compression points.

Hitdaball

Visit site
So let me understand what some are saying here, an independent company have done multiple testing of multiple balls and concluded that 3 companies come out on top in the most comprehensive independent golf ball testing so far and they just happen to be the very same companies that have total control over their production, yet it doesn't mean anything to a few folk on some golfing internet forum :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man I love the internet...

experts-experts-everywhere-u9fucp.jpg
I didn’t see a great deal of anything there apart from he visited Titleist and they told/ showed him how terrible all the competition is. Kinda like an advert for Titleist.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I didn’t see a great deal of anything there apart from he visited Titleist and they told/ showed him how terrible all the competition is. Kinda like an advert for Titleist.

That's what I took from it. Hopefully more to come, I love a good scandal!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the Snell web page where they have videos explaining that. Something to do with long shots compress more and the different pieces of a multi piece ball that engage at different compression points.
It’s more to do with loft and grooves but the harder the ball the less it spins when the clubhouse windows are close.
I learnt the hard way when learning the game.
Most people don’t hit the ball hard enough to get a lot of spin even from premium balls.

User20204

Visit site

I took from it that Titleist pointed something out to them that they weren't aware of, so they started to do their own independent testing and found that they (Titleist) were right, probably best to wait for their full release but as the guy Tony says, it was the tip of the iceberg so I expect it to be a bit of a surprise to many and that the same 3 companies will come out better than the others as they did in their ball test.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn’t it funny when commentators and pundits on the golf say things like, “That one came out with top spin to keep it low”. 😁

User20204

Visit site
Another fascinating podcast from MGS, basically saying, anyone, you, me your mother can get in to the golf ball industry because, and I'm paraphrasing here, a company in Asia produce the balls. It almost seemed like a little dig at Snell and Vice but maybe I was reading to much in to it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Another fascinating podcast from MGS, basically saying, anyone, you, me your mother can get in to the golf ball industry because, and I'm paraphrasing here, a company in Asia produce the balls. It almost seemed like a little dig at Snell and Vice but maybe I was reading to much in to it.

Well considering Dean Snell was the brains behind the Pro V and the TM TP I'd suggest he kens a fair bit behind the process.

Sadly my disposable income doesn't stretch into setting up my own golf ball company.

It's also no difference to "bespoke" golf club companies buying blanks from forging houses and stamping them.

User20204

Visit site
Well considering Dean Snell was the brains behind the Pro V and the TM TP I'd suggest he kens a fair bit behind the process.

Sadly my disposable income doesn't stretch into setting up my own golf ball company.

It's also no difference to "bespoke" golf club companies buying blanks from forging houses and stamping them.

May be you ,missed the bit where I said a company are producing balls for anyone, but probably best you go watch the vid/listen to the podcast, sure they make a better job of explaining it to the online experts than I am. (y)

Springveldt

Visit site
If they fire at the window , they may hit a car in the car park.
My main point is you need spin to get the ball in the air and to stop it.

But how does it know.?
It’s more to do with loft and grooves but the harder the ball the less it spins when the clubhouse windows are close.
I learnt the hard way when learning the game.
Most people don’t hit the ball hard enough to get a lot of spin even from premium balls.
The harder the cover, the less it will spin.
I always thought with premium balls the Urethane cover is soft so the club groves can bite into it but the 2nd layer being harder will allow the ball to spin as it gives the club something to stop against so to speak.
When whacking it with a driver, there is enough energy to compress even the hard 2nd layer to make it all the way into the softer inner layer(s) to absorb energy from the driver to make the ball go further. With not a lot of loft or grooves to run up, the driver will obviously spin a lot less.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Why would you not want spin? Most handicappers struggle to get the ball in the air, they need more spin on their iron shots (especially with the jacked up lofts on GI irons just now), not less. No point hitting it further if you can't stop it on a green.

Since I switched to playing new premium balls exclusively instead of getting 2nd hand hard cover balls from eBay last June my handicap has come down from 12 to 9. Yes, it's more costly, I've spent £100 in the last year on balls rather than the £40 from eBay but I find them much more consistent and my scores show the same thing.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn’t it funny when commentators and pundits on the golf say things like, “That one came out with top spin to keep it low”. 😁

I totally agree.
I can get top spin ................................... but only when I top the ball, otherwise it's impossible, surely.