MGS...again.

D

Deleted member 25172

A golfer that hasn’t lost a ball in 2 years. Has he been in contact with Guinness Book of records?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find it odd that Callaway don't have their own ball factory. They bought Spalding (topflight) in order to have a ball facility.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So how the heck do you make a ball with the core not in the middle? It doesn't take much in the way of tooling to get it right. Why would you not bother making the tooling correctly? Tooling is tooling, whether right, or wrong, it costs the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
“Straightest hitter in golf” is quite a statement.
Is he also a “short game wizard?”
Obviously not off 12. That or he putts like Stevie Wonder. I agree and call BS though because every player makes a mistake, short or not. Even our old boys who hit 150 yards low and straight will nobble one somewhere and lose at least one ball in 2 years

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They haven't released all their info yet but in their podcast vid they talked about companies using other people's balls with their own logo they also said they have cut open balls and found non centred cores, found cores with metal in them.

This was beng pointed at those companies who don't have full control of their manufacturing and only 3 do and it's not Taylormade or Callaway.

They also cut open a box of a dozen balls and found they all had different cores, that's s box stamped as being a dozen "x" make balls.

In summary, buy anything other than Titleist/Srixon or Bridgestone you're likely to have inconsistent balls (oh err missus)

Titleist have full control of their ball manufacturing, but buy a Titleist wood or hybrid and the sticker obn the shaft will, if I remember correctly, tell you that the head and shaft are made in China.

So is it so important to have full control over your ball manufacturing or could that be outsourced?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How far down the line is full control. I bet Titleist don't make their own rubber compound. They probably specify it, but I doubt they make it themselves.

Hitdaball

Visit site
How far down the line is full control. I bet Titleist don't make their own rubber compound. They probably specify it, but I doubt they make it themselves.

Exactly this.

In any case having full control of QA/QC doesn’t mean you must have a better quality product. It just means you are more responsible for quality , be that good or bad.

Sorry to derail the thread from deciding whether hackers like me should use anything other than Sports Direct Dunlop’s 😆

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I worked for a company making copper tube , we had full control over all processing.
Some of the things that were passed as ok were abysmal.
So much so that I wouldn’t put it in my extension when building it.
Full control dosnt mean anything.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
So how the heck do you make a ball with the core not in the middle? It doesn't take much in the way of tooling to get it right. Why would you not bother making the tooling correctly? Tooling is tooling, whether right, or wrong, it costs the same.
It’s like Masterchef when they try Scotch Eggs.

But seriously, are the having to half shells the bake/glue together or are the putting core into a liquid which then turns solid? I imagine this to be one of the harder steps in building a ball.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plays 2/3 times a week, straightest hitter in golf, no sure what all this has to do with MGS and companies saying they produce balls when they don't as we seem to have digressed somewhat.

He must be related to Moe Norman!
Or, maybe he uses these?