Merge in turn

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I believe I asked a sensible question, albeit in quasi-Spanish, about your weird post #81. A Manuel style query seemed better than simply 'WTF'!
Or should I simply refer the entire ridiculous non-conversation to Mods!

The Mods response is for the both of you to grow up and stop wasting our time

If you have nothing to add, then please add nothing ?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Correct way is to use all available lanes when approaching a merge point. Simple as that.

If there’s 100 vehicles queuing in the left lane and zero in the right lane, 50 of them are driving incorrectly. 50 of them should be in the right hand lane. And if they were, the queue wouldn’t be as long, everyone would get through quicker and hey presto, number 101 wouldn’t be able to “push in”.

I’ve long thought there should be official “public information” adverts on TV about this kind of stuff.
People have it so ingrained in their head that they absolutely MUST join a queue if they see one that they will never change unless the info comes from an “official” source.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Correct way is to use all available lanes when approaching a merge point. Simple as that.

If there’s 100 vehicles queuing in the left lane and zero in the right lane, 50 of them are driving incorrectly. 50 of them should be in the right hand lane. And if they were, the queue wouldn’t be as long, everyone would get through quicker and hey presto, number 101 wouldn’t be able to “push in”.

I’ve long thought there should be official “public information” adverts on TV about this kind of stuff.
People have it so ingrained in their head that they absolutely MUST join a queue if they see one that they will never change unless the info comes from an “official” source.

Although probably cause a bit of chaos if the traffic is flowing through the pinch point at 40mph though or if the traffic is pretty lite and cars moved out to the emptier lane just to use all available lanes

I know you didn’t mean use all available lanes in all circumstances but just illustrating its not quite simple ;)

Use all lanes up to the lane closure only works when traffic is slow enough and heavy enough... and its those two measures (what is slow enough and busy enough) that are variable in the minds of each driver which is why some Q and others use empty lane

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Although probably cause a bit of chaos if the traffic is flowing through the pinch point at 40mph though or if the traffic is pretty lite and cars moved out to the emptier lane just to use all available lanes

I know you didn’t mean use all available lanes in all circumstances but just illustrating its not quite simple ;)

Use all lanes up to the lane closure only works when traffic is slow enough and heavy enough... and its those two measures (what is slow enough and busy enough) that are variable in the minds of each driver which is why some Q and others use empty lane
It's only a problem when traffic is slow and/or heavy, so nobody shoud cares if traffic is flowing well through the pinch point. Those in the 'empty' lane will naturally fear/realise that they have to merge significantly before the pinch point, otherwise they will be stuck in the empty lane until some kind person allows them in.

It's different in the, far more normal, instances where the pace of the 'full' lane is slow (5mph or so). That's when both lanes should be used equally and 'merge in turn' applied as directed!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's only a problem when traffic is slow and/or heavy, so nobody shoud cares if traffic is flowing well through the pinch point. Those in the 'empty' lane will naturally fear/realise that they have to merge significantly before the pinch point, otherwise they will be stuck in the empty lane until some kind person allows them in.

It's different in the, far more normal, instances where the pace of the 'full' lane is slow (5mph or so). That's when both lanes should be used equally and 'merge in turn' applied as directed!

I know its far more normal.
I'd even say that almost exclusively; at peak rush hour all lanes will be in use ahead of a merge, that's not the problem either. 5am Sunday or Monday evening rush hour, everything works as expected

What I'm suggesting is the perceived Q jumper problem generally happens when its transitioning from a quiet road and is getting a bit busier/slower

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What I'm suggesting is the perceived Q jumper problem generally happens when its transitioning from a quiet road and is getting a bit busier/slower
Perhaps, but that's because it's not a problem if it's a 'quiet' road. It becomes a problem 'when it transitioning....' and from then on - when folk don't obey the instructions/think others are 'not playing fair', when it's actually 'them' that are 'the problem'!

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Getting drivers to act with any sense has no chance: most people can't negotiate a supermarket with a 4-wheeled trolley at 3mph.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Perhaps, but that's because it's not a problem if it's a 'quiet' road. It becomes a problem 'when it transitioning....' and from then on - when folk don't obey the instructions/think others are 'not playing fair', when it's actually 'them' that are 'the problem'!

No doubt
That happens because drivers are left to make their own judgement about what is 'too slow/too busy' i.e when is the conditions right to move into using all lanes

(lets face it the already merged traffic will never unmerge itself so we're actually reliant on the empty lane 'pioneers' to aid the transition to use all lanes... they just don't have to be so smug about it :ROFLMAO:)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No doubt
That happens because drivers are left to make their own judgement about what is 'too slow/too busy' i.e when is the conditions right to move into using all lanes

(lets face it the already merged traffic will never unmerge itself so we're actually reliant on the empty lane 'pioneers' to aid the transition to use all lanes... they just don't have to be so smug about it :ROFLMAO:)
All lanes shoud always be 'in use'!

What makes you think they are 'so smug about it'?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All lanes shoud always be 'in use'!

What makes you think they are 'so smug about it'?

Re bold, are you still talking about merging? That isn't right. I've already said that a handful of free flowing cars don't have to use all lanes to merge in turn

Re smug. its a joke... although.... If they were really honest a fair few ‘empty lane users’ would have to admit that the very last thing they want to see when they arrive on scene … is all lanes in full use :LOL:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Re bold, are you still talking about merging? That isn't right. I've already said that a handful of free flowing cars don't have to use all lanes to merge in turn
So what/doesn't matter - as it's 'free flowing', so it's not important and I don't care 1 way or the other.
Re smug. its a joke... although.... If they were really honest a fair few ‘empty lane users’ would have to admit that the very last thing they want to see when they arrive on scene … is all lanes in full use :LOL:
And you know that how?
If I encountered that, it would only be disappointing because the wait was likely to be longer (than normal).

D

Deleted member 23270

Unfortunately you are wrong. The slowing down is caused by cars merging in, the traffic flows quicker when there is only 1 lane. Join the back of the open lane and the traffic continues to flow.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortnately you are wrong....
Er, No he's not. And his 'Correct way...' is exactly what 'Merge in Turn' means!
.... The slowing down is caused by cars merging in....
Perhaps/Agreed. But that's irrelevant. 'Merge in Turn' means exactly that - not 'Leave <whichever> Lane Empty'! That merely causes a longer tailback! And folks will simply use the empty lane anyway!
...the traffic flows quicker when there is only 1 lane...
Perhaps - for the open lane, but the overall throughput is likely equal, or at least more controlled, when 'Merge in Turn' is obeyed! My experience of the slowest instances of MiT and use of single lane is when some sod, often a lorry, blocks the 'free' lane while also occupying the 'tailback' one!
...Join the back of the open lane...
You mean 'Disobey the specific instruction'?
... and the traffic continues to flow.
As it should/does when 'Merge in Turn' is performed as directed!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's more of a problem is where two lanes approach traffic lights but only one lane exits. It's a pinch point and very dangerous.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What's more of a problem is where two lanes approach traffic lights but only one lane exits. It's a pinch point and very dangerous.
There's worse! Try navigating Place de la Concorde. Room for 6 cars across...no/pick your own lanes and mopeds zipping everywhere!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Er, No he's not. And his 'Correct way...' is exactly what 'Merge in Turn' means!
Perhaps/Agreed. But that's irrelevant. 'Merge in Turn' means exactly that - not 'Leave <whichever> Lane Empty'! That merely causes a longer tailback! And folks will simply use the empty lane anyway!
Perhaps - for the open lane, but the overall throughput is likely equal, or at least more controlled, when 'Merge in Turn' is obeyed! My experience of the slowest instances of MiT and use of single lane is when some sod, often a lorry, blocks the 'free' lane while also occupying the 'tailback' one!
You mean 'Disobey the specific instruction'?
As it should/does when 'Merge in Turn' is performed as directed!

Er,,...Are you sure you covered all points here? I think also (perhaps/ possibly) a bit more (expression! *+/_) may be needed!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Er,,...Are you sure you covered all points here? I think maybe/perhaps/ possibly a bit more (expression! *+/_) may be needed!
FTFY :D
Btw...WRT the bold bit...Yes!
So many different things were wrong in DaveRs post that they had to be separated to make any sense. Try reading/trying to understand the post you quoted as you quoted it and you will see why!

Last edited: