Merge in turn

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Why do some find it so hard to get merge in turn right? The dual carriage way in to my town always has people queuing down the left and I and others simply drive down the right and merge in. This often results in flashing lights, horn beeping and wanker signs but I don't care, once your at the merge keep close to the car in front and your fine, it's track position as I like to say to my F1 loving son.

Just use both lanes as intended

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why do some find it so hard to get merge in turn right? The dual carriage way in to my town always has people queuing down the left and I and others simply drive down the right and merge in. This often results in flashing lights, horn beeping and wanker signs but I don't care, once your at the merge keep close to the car in front and your fine, it's track position as I like to say to my F1 loving son.

Because some people are morons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Many years ago I had this issue every evening for about 6 months or more on the A21 from T Wells approaching the M25. I ended up finding a different way home that included a round of golf - and still got home earlier and more relaxed than I would have 'merging'.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I posted about this issue the other week. A lorry behind me blocked the lane off so I phoned the water company he worked for and gave his reg in as we was sat in traffic. Folk were mounting the central reservation going round him.

People just don’t like others gaining a perceived advantage.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just queue up like then rest of them!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe queueing is cultural here and for many it seems wrong for people to go past them as they're waiting.
Not making a defence just a suggestion as to why it happens.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe queueing is cultural here and for many it seems wrong for people to go past them as they're waiting.
Not making a defence just a suggestion as to why it happens.
Yes, that's certainly part of it. But so is 'whinge'ing about others getting a perceived 'unfair' advantage! Merge in turn, if practiced correctly, works well, but can certainly cause blood pressure to rise for some.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think the issue is pretty clear. There are two recommendations on merging in turn, one for slow stop/start traffic and one for free flowing traffic

For the former its to use all lanes and merge at the end (at lane closure) For the latter you should merge early to keep traffic flowing.
The problem crops up when traffic was free flowing (so folks have merged early) and ‘something’ happens to quickly turn it into stop/start traffic

That ‘something’ could be caused by a dozen different reasons but typically a ‘Q jumper’ leaving it too late to merge for free flowing traffic, cutting in too close to other vehicles and causing the free flowing lane to concertina and even stop

So now we have one lane with cars all positioned as if it was a free flowing merge but its now stop/start traffic, and the traffic never un-merges back into two lanes… now our Hero arrives…

They see its stop/start traffic and one lane is not really being used, so to them there’s no reason not to use the emptier lane and merge at the lane closure but perhaps also understandably the folks who’ve already correctly merged are kinda pissed at this perceived lack of road manners. In no time the shenanigans all start and no one wins the argument

In an ideal world what would happen is that when the merged single lane free flowing traffic begins to slow & is no longer free flowing, traffic should form two lanes again from the tail of the existing merged Q… everyone happy and everyone getting through in roughly the order in which they arrived… but it’ll never happen

D

Deleted member 23270

Option 1 is join the back of the queue.
Option 2 is push your way to the front.
Which option you take depends on how much respect you have for those around you.

D

Deleted member 23270

I think the issue is pretty clear. There are two recommendations on merging in turn, one for slow stop/start traffic and one for free flowing traffic

For the former its to use all lanes and merge at the end (at lane closure) For the latter you should merge early to keep traffic flowing.
The problem crops up when traffic was free flowing (so folks have merged early) and ‘something’ happens to quickly turn it into stop/start traffic

That ‘something’ could be caused by a dozen different reasons but typically a ‘Q jumper’ leaving it too late to merge for free flowing traffic, cutting in too close to other vehicles and causing the free flowing lane to concertina and even stop

So now we have one lane with cars all positioned as if it was a free flowing merge but its now stop/start traffic, and the traffic never un-merges back into two lanes… now our Hero arrives…

They see its stop/start traffic and one lane is not really being used, so to them there’s no reason not to use the emptier lane and merge at the lane closure but perhaps also understandably the folks who’ve already correctly merged are kinda pissed at this perceived lack of road manners. In no time the shenanigans all start and no one wins the argument

In an ideal world what would happen is that when the merged single lane free flowing traffic begins to slow & is no longer free flowing, traffic should form two lanes again from the tail of the existing merged Q… everyone happy and everyone getting through in roughly the order in which they arrived… but it’ll never happen
Spot on.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Maybe those in "the queue" have already merged as intended, but still others continue push down to the front to merge at the last moment. Can cause a bigger bottleneck as both lanes now jammed whilst they push in. It should work better if people don't all wait to do it at the last available point.

If they are in a long que, chances are they have merged too soon. Which is quite common. And in the view of some on here, will have pushed in. So why not go all the way to the front?