Merge in turn

D

Deleted member 23270

They're not pushing in though, they are using the road as it was intended, take a section of a dual carriageway road that is reduced to a single lane with cones for roadworks. The risks to the workforce and road users will have been assessed and the place at which the traffic needs to merge into one lane decided upon and marked by the start of the cones. Failing to use both lanes and then merge causes a longer tailback of traffic which can then impact on traffic joining the affected road from the previous junction. for e.g.

There was exactly this scenario on my route into work for several months, despite there being a large temporary flashing sign saying "use both lanes then merge" every morning some clown would try to block both lanes to stop the traffic they perceived to be queue jumpers, which caused the slip road to back up, the roundabout above the main route to back up and all the feeder roads onto the roundabout to back up.
If you can see the merge ahead and joining the back of the queue doesn't impact any other junctions then just do it. That way the traffic keeps moving instead of being slowed down by cars merging. I've seen traffic carry on moving at good speed instead of becoming stop/start.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not at all, the frustration is where the arrows inform people to merge early and they ignore it.
Unless you've questioned every driver involved, I'd suggest you are making an invalid assumption - perhaps based on your own frustration!
Depending on how far from the 'merge point' the signs were, I'd be frustrated with whoever placed the sign - or failed to move it when the merge-point changed.

Btw. As I can't remember having seen actually seen the arrow signs you refer to (and assuming they are directives to 'do it now', the (mis-positioned imo) 'arrows' would be the most frustrating element of the queue/merge exercise.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have some newish local roadworks, and they do have merg in turn signs up and everything does work. However I have never seen them on motorways or main A roads where you just have the distance to signs counting down from 800 yds and these are the places that cause the annoyance because of those drivers who force their way to the cones instead of getting in an open lane long before like most others.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Its pushing in and you know it. Why shouldn't you wait in line like others.
Its not really pushing in though is it, as when I do this (rare) I don’t push in - I just drive through a gap in a queue of traffic going a different direction to me, with the cars both sides of the gap always going straight on and not the direction I’m heading - always as the cars before and after the gap would have turned to head in my direction of travel were they going my way.?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its not really pushing in though is it, as when I do this (rare) I don’t push in - I just drive through a gap in a queue of traffic going a different direction to me, with the cars both sides of the gap always going straight on and not the direction I’m heading - always as the cars before and after the gap would have turned to head in my direction of travel were they going my way.?
Didnt understand any of that but it's still bypassing the queue you should be in (pushing in)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Didnt understand any of that but it's still bypassing the queue you should be in (pushing in)
I’m certainly bypassing the queue, but I am never actually rejoining it. I also happen to know that most of the traffic that I am bypassing will be going straight on, because I usually sit in the queue - and it does…?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m certainly bypassing the queue, but I am never actually rejoining it. I also happen to know that most of the traffic that I am bypassing will be going straight on, because I usually sit in the queue - and it does…?
Irrelevant. You have no idea where they are going and should be waiting your turn.