Meningitis in dogs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our 16 month old GSP was a bit lethargic yesterday so took him to the vets, had a high temperature, so vet gave him some antibiotics and sad they should bring the temp down and should be better in the morning. well didn't touch his dinner, he loves his food, was lying in his bed shaking most of the night( i sat up with him). took him back this morning and they have given a thorough check up xrays, blood tests etc.

vet just rang to say they think its Meningitis, i dIdn't even know dogs could get it!!! not uncommon in young dogs under 2 apparently .
needs a lumbar puncture, the vet in Inverness can't do it and have referred him to the RVC in Edinburgh, then steroid treatment for up to 7 months.

The wife and i are devastated, esp after only losing Baldrick not that long ago.

trawling the net looks like he might recover, if its all done correctly..

Wish him luck

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry to hear that.
Might be worth a second opinion before you commit to RVC, is misdiagnosis a possibiity?

i think the only way to confirm is with the LP and only RVC can do that according to the vet.

symptoms appear to match more or less , from what ive researched on the web. He was running around without a care in the world yesterday morning:cry:

U

User62651

i think the only way to confirm is with the LP and only RVC can do that according to the vet.

symptoms appear to match more or less , from what ive researched on the web. He was running around without a care in the world yesterday morning:cry:

Sure they're right, just some of the symptoms sounded like chocolate poisoning for example.
Best of luck.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hope Rupert gets sorted Patrick.
Back at the vet again this afternoon. His temp was down last night he was over 40, but dropped to 38. Need to check his temp again today then if ifs back up again arrange the appointment to RVC in Edinburgh as the Lumbar puncture is the only definitive way of saying its Meningitis for sure, though all the symptoms say its pretty certain. given the right steroids for 6/7 months he should make a full recovery

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thinking of you Patrick.
An old Jack Russell of mine was diagnosed with cancer of the spleen with a very negative prognosis.
We had the operation done and got several more years out of him.
Stay positive mate, stay positive. (y)