Membership Rebate

D

Deleted member 17920

Paid for a 3.5 month introductory membership at a club on 15th December for £225 (lasts until end of March). This is around pro rata of the annual membership (£790). Managed to get a couple of rounds in during the winter period before government shut us down. May not be able to play again if the government keeps us shut down. Unless the club get money through Business Interruption, looks like that is too bad on me. They do not appear to be willing to extend that introductory membership to account for all this lost time.

I get the position they are in in terms of how to the entire membership. But, although full members have lost about 4 months of playing time, they've at least had the benefit of 8 months of golf, during the best playing period. My £225 has got me 2 rounds of golf over a fortnight (an annual equivalent fee of over £6,000. I guess I should be happy I got 2 rounds in. I'd hate to have joined start of January, not played at all, and effectively handed my money over to the club for nothing except keeping their bank balance healthy.
Where are you moving to?

That seems a tad harsh to me for a trial membership.

Swango1980

Visit site
Where are you moving to?

That seems a tad harsh to me for a trial membership.
I certainly wouldn't name the club on a public forum, I wouldn't want to give them negative publicity. Yes, frustrated at the situation I am in, but also understand the dilemma golf clubs are in themselves. All in all, I've always been impressed by the club and facilities,, so I'll see how it plays out over the coming months.

I'm still a member of my original club, and as it is very affordable my plan was to always continue to be a Home member there, but be a member of a second club for a bit of variety. I would have hoped that as this was an introductory trial membership, they could have simply extended that for a couple of months / reduced the annual fee a little if I was to extend my membership. Certainly was never wanting / asking for a refund.

D

Deleted member 3432

I certainly wouldn't name the club on a public forum, I wouldn't want to give them negative publicity. Yes, frustrated at the situation I am in, but also understand the dilemma golf clubs are in themselves. All in all, I've always been impressed by the club and facilities,, so I'll see how it plays out over the coming months.

I'm still a member of my original club, and as it is very affordable my plan was to always continue to be a Home member there, but be a member of a second club for a bit of variety. I would have hoped that as this was an introductory trial membership, they could have simply extended that for a couple of months / reduced the annual fee a little if I was to extend my membership. Certainly was never wanting / asking for a refund.

Not much of a trial membership if you couldn't use it.

If they are serious about recruiting new members i would be expecting them to extend it, if they don't they are simply money grabbing.

Clubs are in a difficult position in a lot of cases where members are wanting rebates and can see both sides of the argument. In this case, you have taken a trial membership with a view to maybe joining full time. How can you make a decision without having using the trial?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not much of a trial membership if you couldn't use it.

If they are serious about recruiting new members i would be expecting them to extend it, if they don't they are simply money grabbing.

Clubs are in a difficult position in a lot of cases where members are wanting rebates and can see both sides of the argument. In this case, you have taken a trial membership with a view to maybe joining full time. How can you make a decision without having using the trial?
You feelings match mine. That is the issue, if they refuse to extend the membership my only conclusion is they are not interested in new members, they were just more interested in making a quick few quid. However, perhaps they've simply not made a final decision yet, and so their current response is overly cautious so as not to offer me any false promises.

D

Deleted member 17920

Seems a shame they wont extend the trial membership.

Joining a 2nd club for variety is always good and if its the club I think it is then its a lovely course and the facilities are very nice.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have been offered 70 quid off our subs. You can decline the offer, take the cash, add it to your bar card, pro shop account or join the 100 club for a year. The club have also removed the £50 bar levy on the subs.

Boomy

Visit site
Haven’t heard anything from my first club yet.

Just received the following info from my second club:

*proposal that fees for 2022 be frozen at the current level. This will need to be passed by the membership at the next AGM, but it is our aim that there is no increase.
*All members will be given 2 Fourball vouchers to enable you to bring guests/friends/business associates etc. for a game of golf.
*Free use of balls on the driving range until the end of May.
*Thank you BBQ, in the summer once restrictions allow.

Nice gestures, and the BBQ is a fab idea to get the club spirit going.

Personally, I’m happy if the money is being invested into the club/course as we’ll get the benefits going forwards. Also I’m hoping to play enough golf in the remainder of the year to cover my subs, so compensation or refund wasn’t on my mind.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had an email saying £65 back,£50 on bar bill, £12 worth of balls. Free half hour if you buy an half hour lesson off assistant pro. Plus a comp and free buffet after At Norwood hall. last year I paid £675 for 5 days. This year £725.
i Would of expected that everyone gets the same percentage back re 5 day, 7 day, joint membership but that has not been the case.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
No increase in subs this year, which would have been 5%, extra £50 on bar card, 6 guest passes, bacon butty and a cup of coffee when golf returns. This amounts to about £250 of value per member. I think they have done the right thing by the members and the club so am happy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Mine has emailed to say that there will be no refunds. They will invoice at 2019 rate and give some freebie guest rounds

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Drainage mainly, plus general tidying up, greens,surrounds and bunkers.

Ours originally said that they wouldn't give anything back and were going to do more drainage with any money they had, but yesterday said they couldn't do any refunds and there was no mention of drainage. I dont want to see us go under so I guess I'll pay up, I just hope that they survive as I dont want to pay over £1k and lose out again.
Also, health wise I want to be sure I'll be fit to play for the year as, again, they surely wont rebate if I had to pack up.