Membership Rebate

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a great deal! I'd love that (and so would many people). Commercially it seems odd for a club to offer this.
Had a word with him and he said they had a big waiting list.
So came up with a 5 day membership dawn to 4pm.
A lot of retired seniors took that at the time.
So from 4 pm to dusk and weekends they had members who work 9/5 pm and play in the comps, mostly younger men and a few ladies.
They actually get more money than having the full member but only half the people.
More over the bar , but more rounds played
Win win imo.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
So from 4 pm to dusk and weekends they had members who work 9/5 pm and play in the comps, mostly younger men and a few ladies.
That sounds like an excellent idea. I'm retired and would love to get a discount playing before 4PM on weekdays.
I need the light to see my ball sail into the rough...
Bravo to whoever came up with that idea.

sunshine

Visit site
Had a word with him and he said they had a big waiting list.
They actually get more money than having the full member but only half the people.
More over the bar , but more rounds played
Win win imo.

It's an attractive proposition, I'm just amazed the club is offering it. Most clubs in this situation will offer 5 day membership to the retired seniors, and then full 7 day to the people who want to play at weekends / evenings, safe in the knowledge that most of these people will never (or hardly ever) turn up during normal working hours.

As Chellie commented earlier, people who go to work are usually disadvantaged. The winners are usually retired people... who then often get a discount on top!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fees are going up £150 but you get this back if you were a full member last year ( with an option to defer this payment) .
I'm still undecided and likely to ask if I can move to the associate membership where it a pay and play as I have no idea how often I will play this year.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Received £300.00 credit to our card for every month the course was closed during the first lockdown and the same offer during the current lockdown but only if you stay out with the local authority area that prevents you from playing the course, which I do.

The fee's were due in Jan and remained the same as last year so I think it was a good deal all round, hopefully get back to playing at the end of this month.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Received £300.00 credit to our card for every month the course was closed during the first lockdown and the same offer during the current lockdown but only if you stay out with the local authority area that prevents you from playing the course, which I do.

The fee's were due in Jan and remained the same as last year so I think it was a good deal all round, hopefully get back to playing at the end of this month.

Wow! How much are your annual subs?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's an attractive proposition, I'm just amazed the club is offering it. Most clubs in this situation will offer 5 day membership to the retired seniors, and then full 7 day to the people who want to play at weekends / evenings, safe in the knowledge that most of these people will never (or hardly ever) turn up during normal working hours.

As Chellie commented earlier, people who go to work are usually disadvantaged. The winners are usually retired people... who then often get a discount on top!
Yes but it’s quite fair to both sets of players .
And although discounted actually gets more people on the course without them all being there at the same times.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand your thoughts...

There’s been no word of a rebate for us and the agm suggested there wouldn’t be. However, we’ve had regular email updates on the works around the course, there’s a serious amount going on. Returfing, fine tuning irrigation with new sprinkler heads, tee box steps etc etc. I’m happy not to have a rebate given the improvements that are going on.

The flip side is I have friends at other clubs that aren’t getting a rebate and nothing but regular course maintenance. I don’t agree with that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3K + but for that you get 3 top class courses to play and unlimited access to the practice range with free balls and they have just added a reciprocal deal that gives us free access to the 3 courses @ Gullane, giving us the best of both Parkland & Links course in Scotland.

Sounds fantastic - where is it please?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I do think it is worth the extra cost. It is a great club and the courses are fantastic. I have heard about the goings ons at Bangor and it does seem like there is some unrest. We have managed to pick up quite a few members from other clubs recently and we had a waiting list for a while but it seems since the renewals came out there has been a drop (understandably I guess with the current situation) but I assume this will pick up again.

A lot of work has also being going on over the lockdown so the courses should be brilliant when we return!
Currently over 100 in the waiting list, I applied in November so only had maybe 5-10 people in front of me I was told, now the resignations are all in at most clubs, leavers will be looking around and applying now so I am glad I was proactive. Another of our fourball is also in plus I know a few lads already there so it wont be too bad. I hope they remove the time for life rule though as they seem ultra current in all other ways of running the club, realising that a 30 year member and a 5 year member both pay the same subs and shouldn't give one person time rights over another. By all means give the long standing member a minor discount or a carriage clock but not tee time privileges.

D-S

Visit site
Currently over 100 in the waiting list, I applied in November so only had maybe 5-10 people in front of me I was told, now the resignations are all in at most clubs, leavers will be looking around and applying now so I am glad I was proactive. Another of our fourball is also in plus I know a few lads already there so it wont be too bad. I hope they remove the time for life rule though as they seem ultra current in all other ways of running the club, realising that a 30 year member and a 5 year member both pay the same subs and shouldn't give one person time rights over another. By all means give the long standing member a minor discount or a carriage clock but not tee time privileges.
What is a ‘time for life‘ rule?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
What is a ‘time for life‘ rule?
It means members have a qualifying season permanent tee time assigned each Saturday (here in NI, Saturdays are the main competition day). Its a common occurance in clubs here that is slowly changing. Members with a permanent tee time need to take their names off the timesheet (was BRS now Intelligent Golf) so other members can get playing in their place. One problem Ive heard is that some older members keep their time but only play 9 holes then walk off which is poor form as they can play any time of the week but choose to kill off some spaces. Id imagine some sort of penalty for this would soon sort it.

sunshine

Visit site
It means members have a qualifying season permanent tee time assigned each Saturday (here in NI, Saturdays are the main competition day). Its a common occurance in clubs here that is slowly changing. Members with a permanent tee time need to take their names off the timesheet (was BRS now Intelligent Golf) so other members can get playing in their place. One problem Ive heard is that some older members keep their time but only play 9 holes then walk off which is poor form as they can play any time of the week but choose to kill off some spaces. Id imagine some sort of penalty for this would soon sort it.
:eek: That’s outrageous

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

How many members are there?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
How many members are there?
Approx 1250 members but unsure how that breaks down to full, 6 day,5 day, junior, male/female etc. There are two courses and they fill the time sheets during peak times easily form what I can see. I'll be in a better position to comment though once we are back playing.