Membership Rebate

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Still awaiting our renewals but having been emailed today form my second club with news of a 10% increase I’ve decided 1 club only for now.
I don’t begrudge getting no refund from either course, but don’t think an increases that substantial is justified.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still awaiting our renewals but having been emailed today form my second club with news of a 10% increase I’ve decided 1 club only for now.
I don’t begrudge getting no refund from either course, but don’t think an increases that substantial is justified.

Surely depends on what the 10% equates too? 10% of not very much equates to nit very much of an increase.....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Surely depends on what the 10% equates too? 10% of not very much equates to nit very much of an increase.....

The overall cost isn't huge. But last year it cost me on average £50 a round due to the lockdowns, the green fees aren't that high.

That being said haven't seen any real works that I'm warrant the increase for current memenrs.

Mandofred

Visit site
We've had a little change to ours. We received an email last week telling us what next years cost would be......raising it 5.5%. That makes sense to me. They have given us 2 numbers....that full amount, and another amount that would take off £185 if we choose. Since I had "donated" a couple of months of money last year while a lot of people paid nothing, I will be taking the cost with £185 off.
I don't mind the 5.5%, some of the clubs income from selling food/drinks and people renting out the facility are pretty well gone and I can't see it coming back any time soon.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The overall cost isn't huge. But last year it cost me on average £50 a round due to the lockdowns, the green fees aren't that high.

That being said haven't seen any real works that I'm warrant the increase for current memenrs.

Saying it's a 2/3 year project. I've asked to move to the flexible membership, I'd imagine that will be quite popular, if it's allowed.
there's quite a few on the list at yours now.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Saying it's a 2/3 year project. I've asked to move to the flexible membership, I'd imagine that will be quite popular, if it's allowed.
there's quite a few on the list at yours now.
Yeah I've seen that their projections.....

If it all goes ahead I'm happy to pay extra to return.

D-S

Visit site
I’m not sure I like the “ a rebate is there if you want to take it but we hope you won’t” approach that some clubs appear to be taking. Surely if the club seems that a rebate/discount is appropriate and affordable they should give it to all. If members want to give extra then that is always their right, as it is every year, but management should have courage of their convictions and act accordingl.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure I like the “ a rebate is there if you want to take it but we hope you won’t” approach that some clubs appear to be taking. Surely if the club seems that a rebate/discount is appropriate and affordable they should give it to all. If members want to give extra then that is always their right, as it is every year, but management should have courage of their convictions and act accordingl.

Yeah, it looks like a loyalty test.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yeah, it looks like a loyalty test.
That's kind of how I feel. I don't mind if they just raise the price and everybody has to pay it....but there is some serious guilt action going on. I've occasionally thought about trying to participate in club committees, but being a "foreigner" and having somewhat unorthodox methods of...well...about everything..... golf isn't something that likes different ways of thinking.

D

Deleted member 18588

That's kind of how I feel. I don't mind if they just raise the price and everybody has to pay it....but there is some serious guilt action going on. I've occasionally thought about trying to participate in club committees, but being a "foreigner" and having somewhat unorthodox methods of...well...about everything..... golf isn't something that likes different ways of thinking.
I'm afraid that last comment smacks of a cop out.

I have heard it so many times over the years; " Oh they wouldn't accept my ideas. So no point in me getting involved."

How does anyone know if they don't try?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently over 100 in the waiting list, I applied in November so only had maybe 5-10 people in front of me I was told, now the resignations are all in at most clubs, leavers will be looking around and applying now so I am glad I was proactive. Another of our fourball is also in plus I know a few lads already there so it wont be too bad. I hope they remove the time for life rule though as they seem ultra current in all other ways of running the club, realising that a 30 year member and a 5 year member both pay the same subs and shouldn't give one person time rights over another. By all means give the long standing member a minor discount or a carriage clock but not tee time privileges.

I don't think there is a real waiting list at the moment, maybe about 10 but with renewals up they should get in no problem

It is a tough situation for the tee times. I only joined 5 years ago as I got a time and wouldn't join a club I couldn't get a Saturday time for, that was part of my requirements looking for a new club and would be pretty silly for people not to look into that before joining. They got 170 new members at the end of the last lock down and decided to open the tee sheet for the winter. Was absolute carnage and did not work at all. There needs to be a balance and at the moment there is one open tee time a month and that is for the monthly medal. That may be opened to 2 a month but honestly cannot see the time for life being removed.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm afraid that last comment smacks of a cop out.

I have heard it so many times over the years; " Oh they wouldn't accept my ideas. So no point in me getting involved."

How does anyone know if they don't try?
Tried a little bit with our big group....got laughed at. I had the nerve once to suggest maybe we should play from the red tees one day.......you know, just to do something different. You would have thought I'd suggested incest or something. I've suggested changing the 3 clubs and a putter to just 3 clubs....nope, not the way we do it. I'll probably keep trying/suggesting little changes....but golfers really don't like change (in general).

Also.....committee meetings are in the evenings. I don't function very well in the evenings.... 7pm and later.....I understand why they are at that time, but I'm usually in bed just after 9:30pm and snoring away.....

D

Deleted member 18588

Tried a little bit with our big group....got laughed at. I had the nerve once to suggest maybe we should play from the red tees one day.......you know, just to do something different. You would have thought I'd suggested incest or something. I've suggested changing the 3 clubs and a putter to just 3 clubs....nope, not the way we do it. I'll probably keep trying/suggesting little changes....but golfers really don't like change (in general).

Also.....committee meetings are in the evenings. I don't function very well in the evenings.... 7pm and later.....I understand why they are at that time, but I'm usually in bed just after 9:30pm and snoring away.....
Fair enough, that's your choice which you have every right to make.

It's just me.

I believe members lose the right to criticise committee actions and decisions if those members are not, at least, prepared to stand for election.

If they are unsuccessful at the election then OK at least they stuck their heads above the parapet.

Mandofred

Visit site
Fair enough, that's your choice which you have every right to make.

It's just me.

I believe members lose the right to criticise committee actions and decisions if those members are not, at least, prepared to stand for election.

If they are unsuccessful at the election then OK at least they stuck their heads above the parapet.
No way I'd run for an elected position. I'd probably be ok with a committee position if needed. I've thought about just volunteering more for little things. I'm a fairly crap organizer though....the times I've had to really do things like that, I'm ok but not great. Being willing to stand for election shouldn't be a requirement for being able to criticize. I know plenty of people who aren't willing to do anything, and criticize a lot....and fair enough as long as they realize that they aren't willing to DO anything. If I renew membership in a month (probably will, but still thinking about trying another club) I might just ask if there are some little things I can do. We have a real badger problem for instance, just a time waster for the workers to take care of those messes....that's something I could do and almost enjoy it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good news from the club today - we're currently in a OK financial state and so able to keep subs increase to 3% - assuming some non-subs club income resumes 1st April - but no further rebate for golf lost this membership year about which I am OK (we got a pro rata rebate for golf lost last year)

Club has also noted that many members have substantial balances on their shop and clubhouse accounts (many - like myself - as a result of putting the rebate for golf lost last year onto our accounts) - and so we're not applying the £60 clubhouse card levy in the renewal. That more than balances off the 3% increase and so effectively my subs for 2021/22 remain the same as last year. Good news indeed.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having quit my membership before the pandemic last year, I am just going to hold fire and see how this pans out. Looking at it objectively, it may be April before the courses open and then you may be looking at 2 balls only until the wider population can meet in larger groups outdoors. That would, in many cases, see it limited to 9 holes only and getting a tee time at weekends when I can play would be pretty difficult.

I also want to see how the local clubs react and what position they are in. Some may be struggling financially, one, I suspect, may use this as an excuse to ramp up the cost of membership and aim for the 'exclusive' label that certain factions want whilst others may look at this as an opportunity to attract more members with flexible membership schemes.

I am actually looking forward to finding a new golfing home on a membership scheme that suits. Not been excited about playing for a while so this is good but I suspect that it will be later in the season or even next year before this all calms down (if clubs are not back to full, unrestricted golf by the end of August, I may as well leave as the weather then becomes a factor) and I feel like I want to sign up for somewhere.

Swango1980

Visit site
Paid for a 3.5 month introductory membership at a club on 15th December for £225 (lasts until end of March). This is around pro rata of the annual membership (£790). Managed to get a couple of rounds in during the winter period before government shut us down. May not be able to play again if the government keeps us shut down. Unless the club get money through Business Interruption, looks like that is too bad on me. They do not appear to be willing to extend that introductory membership to account for all this lost time.

I get the position they are in in terms of how to the entire membership. But, although full members have lost about 4 months of playing time, they've at least had the benefit of 8 months of golf, during the best playing period. My £225 has got me 2 rounds of golf over a fortnight (an annual equivalent fee of over £6,000. I guess I should be happy I got 2 rounds in. I'd hate to have joined start of January, not played at all, and effectively handed my money over to the club for nothing except keeping their bank balance healthy.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Received a very nice email from the club yesterday.

They have been talking for years about moving the due date for subs from 1st Jan to a slightly later date. They have taken the current situation as an opportunity and have informed us that as of 2022 the due date will be 1st March and as a consequence of the change and as loyalty bonus for enduring lockdown we will be getting 14 months this year. Jackpot.