Membership Interview Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

As some of you may be aware. I’ve been applying for many different course memberships in the Liverpool/Southport area.

Finally, I’ve been granted an interview with the committee for the choice I favour most.

The course is quite prestigious and well known, mainly for its joining fee, I won’t say the name until the membership has gone through hopefully.

Just wondering if you’ve had an interview before and what questions was asked to you.

Cheers

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I just went through the process and wasn't as bad as imagined its more of about you what your golfing history is previous clubs and some background information, they will nodoubt show you around the facilities tell you what's on offer some info on comps and price lists ect,
good luck mate

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve done two interviews in the past and both were just a formal chat about the golf club, about your golfing history and a chance to ask some generic questions to show you are interested in the club.

I wore a tie to both and would recommend the same if the club is quite prestigious

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Dress appropriately. Try and remain as calm as possible. Good firm handshake with eye contact. Ask questions. Be polite. Etc

So it’s like meeting the father in law for the first time except this is more important :lol:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have only ever had one 'formal' interview and that was held over 18 holes of golf which was very relaxing in fact. It was more about what I do on the course eg do I follow the usual etiquette replacing divots repairing pitch marks etc.

Where I play they stopped doing any sort of interviews donkeys years ago. Mine was just a sort of meet and greet type evening with lots of other prospective applicants and all the club committee on a sort of revolving chat with each of them.

I too would go with jacket and tie for a prestigious club.

D

Deleted member 1740

Definitely wear a shirt and tie, ive always found interviews to be more informative rather than interragation. Make sure you ask them questions too.

Best of luck Titleist.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get there early .
If there are any members there have a chat.
Try just be yourself if you have any questions just ask don’t be shy,
(I.e.)
How are the comps booked ,?
Are any lockers available if not what’s the wait.?
just general day to day things!

good luck.

Suit and tie is a must.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get there early .
If there are any members there have a chat.
Try just be yourself if you have any questions just ask don’t be shy,
(I.e.)
How are the comps booked ,?
Are any lockers available if not what’s the wait.?
just general day to day things!

good luck.

Suit and tie is a must.

All sound advice. Ask about club matches, and social events (even if you have no real intention of attending). Be polite but remember it's a two way process and make sure the club you are joining is going to be right for you. I wouldn't join anywhere, irrespective of the course, its reputation and condition, if the welcome in the bar/club afterwards is cold and stale

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you for your advice.

Would it be rude of me if I asked if I could walk the course that evening (weather and light permitting) as I’ve never played there before

D

Deleted member 16999

Thank you for your advice.

Would it be rude of me if I asked if I could walk the course that evening (weather and light permitting) as I’ve never played there before
Without sounding daft, why do you want to join a course you’ve never played? Maybe that’s not something you should admit to, a little white lie extolling the virtues of the course being the reason you wish to join may come across better.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
GM did a piece a while back

Hope it goes well

Incidentally has anyway ever attending a golf club interview without a tie on and if so how did it go?

D

Deleted member 21258

I would recommend playing the course and then deciding if the course appeals to you, that you want to join and pay joining fees? (that is me personally. That said your case must happen fairly often, as when I asked about joining at a couple of clubs, they both asked if I had played the course before in the first conservations with the general managers).

For sure go in a jacket & tie, relax and turn the tables and ask all the questions and put them under the interview process. You need to do this to ensure the club fits you and you are paying for it, not the other way....

You need to think about when you play golf and how you play golf and then ask questions on that. Things like are there roll ups, can you book up tee times, how will you get to know other members, how busy are the tee times when you would normally play, how old are the membership in comparison to you, how often are comps and do they block out all the tee times, what is the setup with regards to the bar card/levy, any major works due on the course over the next 2-3 years planned, how often do they close the course and why, can you bring friends, can you pay the joining fees over a number of years and so on. Masses of questions, just think about everything connected to how you play golf.

If there is no joining fees, then many questions will fall away, as you can always look to leave if it is that bad after a year.:eek:

Best of luck and enjoy.:thup:

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My thinking about the interview to join pretty much any members club - but especially better known and certainly the more prestigious - is that I think it is good to put over a real enthusiasm for golf, it's history and traditions - and for being a member of a golf club - and what that actually means. I would always stress that for me the club and knowing it's members aspects of membership are as important as me being very keen to be playing the course.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Incidentally has anyway ever attending a golf club interview without a tie on and if so how did it go?

A few years back two mates of mine joined a club together. One of them turned up in shirt and tie, the other (who is a bit of a scruffy so-and-so sometimes) turned up in his casuals.

The guy working behind the bar took the scruffy one to one side, politely told him he'd need a shirt and tie for his interview and went and found one for him!

They both got in, anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Never had to do one but just in case I do in the future would you recommend I used my funeral tie, dark and serious, or my wedding tie, brighter and cheerier? They are the only times I wear a tie now. What would be the right tone to set :D?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Most clubs are looking for members that want to 'fit in' so ask about club teams, social events and such like. If you have represented any previous club teams then let them know.
The term 'interview' is a bit misleading these days, look on it as more of a two way chat where they find out about you and you find out about them. They should cover things like how to enter competitions, club noticeboards, reciprocals, how to use/top up your members card (if they have them).

And yes, you won't go wrong if you wear J&T but you may go wrong if you don't.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When is the interview. Interesting that the OP has never played the course before potentially parting with the cash. Not something I'd do, but that's just my own preference. I'd like to know what the course was like, what practice facilities were like, and what the amenities in the clubhouse were like before the interview.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So much depends on the club. At ours now it's more of an introduction than an interview. Details about the club, helping them to fit in, etc. No issues on smart or casual.
I've interviewed people who've never played the course but the website did it for them, and the reputation of the course as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.