Membership cost increase

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£83 in 2021 just by cost of living should be £99 today, so still way over cost of living.

Like I stated tho. Not charging us during COVID. The investment in building a 3rd 9..

Have to say for 5 days membership, 7 day gym membership at that course I don't feel short changed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We received an email from the club chair yesterday. The club have received applications to re-join from ex-members who were on a pay over 12 months scheme and left late last year, cancelled their direct debits and failed to pay the full fees. This occurred when the rain started and course closures started to kick in.

The club wrote to inform everyone one that anyone who left under these circumstance will be barred from re-joining until they have made good the debt.
Would they also insist that they pay the membership in full, upfront? I would, in their situation. You clearly can not trust those members so you need to treat them accordingly.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our membership has gone up £40, to £950+VAT. Happy with that, and happy to be in Lincolnshire where membership seems to be great value compared to other areas in the UK.

Also, club plan to bring in contractors in the Autumn, spending a lot of money to improve drainage.

Springveldt

Visit site
We received an email from the club chair yesterday. The club have received applications to re-join from ex-members who were on a pay over 12 months scheme and left late last year, cancelled their direct debits and failed to pay the full fees. This occurred when the rain started and course closures started to kick in.

The club wrote to inform everyone one that anyone who left under these circumstance will be barred from re-joining until they have made good the debt.
That's fairly generous of your club, I'd have told them to go find somewhere else to play.

Swango1980

Visit site

I assume your club does not have a joining fee?

I suppose that might be one method to get them. Sure, you can rejoin, but you have to pay the full joining fee as you are not currently members.

Direct Debit payments are probably quite common these days, and so I'm sure clubs have to deal with some members simply stopping these payments midway through the year. Out of interest, what protection do clubs have for this, especially if they do not have joining fees? Do they have conditions within their membership, that can deal with such situations?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Will be keeping an eye on membership numbers in coming weeks...will be interesting to see how the pricing changes affect membership levels....typically....pre-covid we typically had around 450 men and 20-30 women. In 2020/21 we increased to around 620 men and 50 women which, had it continued would have simply put an unsustainable demand on the course. We dropped back to more normal levels in the last two years as those folk have gone back to playing their other previously banned activities/sports (we managed to pick up a huge batch of cricketers in the summer of 2020!!).... looking at the EG website we are currently at 430 men and 47 ladies....there has been quite a bit of disquiet with proposals to sell some of the course for property development and converting to a 9 hole course...but that is now all in the past....i'm sure some will have already committed to moving elsewhere when their current membership expires at the end of March.
Following on from the post I made back in December following our announced 36% increase for 7 day membership...

As I said above on 26 Dec, our membership numbers were 430 men and 47 women. Over the time period up until 31st March, our male membership rose to 470 as we gathered new members from other clubs in the area who had put in place price rises effective in January. When we cleared our membership database in early April following the annual renewal date, our male member numbers dropped to 395. Some of this would be natural churn, some of this would be golfers not happy with the proposed increases and voting with their feet. Lady membership has remained at an unchanged level.

So... we had 430 men paying £920 a year, now we have 395 men paying £1250 a year....that's a 25% increase in subscription fees received by the club which can only be a good thing.

We are seeing development all over the course, especially in the area of renovating and restoring our bunkers (including building a couple of new ones) which were frankly more of an eyesore than a hazard, enhanced warm up and practice facilities, the migration to the Intelligent Golf platform including the introduction of an online tee booking system. There is increased sponsorship being generated by the club from local businesses. Further plans to fully renovate all remaining bunkers are in place, relandscaping of the 18th hole. We even now have a full time starter on the first tee which is helping with pace of play and ensuring groups tee off at appropriate times.

Lots of things now going on and there is an air of positivity about the place which was pretty much non existent last September, when it looked like we would be selling off vast tracts of land and moving to a 9 hole course. The new club management deserve a lot of credit for the positive changes and the vision they have for the club going forward. The increased membership fees was a hard sell to many members (too hard for some) but the early signs of investment are already apparent to those who committed to the club and hopefully will continue into the future.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

And people were asking me why my club only takes monthly payments via Fairway Credit. I think this is the reason!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And people were asking me why my club only takes monthly payments via Fairway Credit. I think this is the reason!

My mate left but at the end of the year last year. He was annoyed at the rise and also was away all summer

He then found that all other courses didn't compare and he was still playing once a fortnight with me. So he decided to rejoin. Normally you pay £500 (rose to £550 that year) so they said pay the £50 difference and he had lost his £200 that was on his bar card (that is where £200 of the £500 goes) and they left it at that

He was happy to come back and won't leave again lol 😆

Visit site
Following on from the post I made back in December following our announced 36% increase for 7 day membership...

As I said above on 26 Dec, our membership numbers were 430 men and 47 women. Over the time period up until 31st March, our male membership rose to 470 as we gathered new members from other clubs in the area who had put in place price rises effective in January. When we cleared our membership database in early April following the annual renewal date, our male member numbers dropped to 395. Some of this would be natural churn, some of this would be golfers not happy with the proposed increases and voting with their feet. Lady membership has remained at an unchanged level.

So... we had 430 men paying £920 a year, now we have 395 men paying £1250 a year....that's a 25% increase in subscription fees received by the club which can only be a good thing.

We are seeing development all over the course, especially in the area of renovating and restoring our bunkers (including building a couple of new ones) which were frankly more of an eyesore than a hazard, enhanced warm up and practice facilities, the migration to the Intelligent Golf platform including the introduction of an online tee booking system. There is increased sponsorship being generated by the club from local businesses. Further plans to fully renovate all remaining bunkers are in place, relandscaping of the 18th hole. We even now have a full time starter on the first tee which is helping with pace of play and ensuring groups tee off at appropriate times.

Lots of things now going on and there is an air of positivity about the place which was pretty much non existent last September, when it looked like we would be selling off vast tracts of land and moving to a 9 hole course. The new club management deserve a lot of credit for the positive changes and the vision they have for the club going forward. The increased membership fees was a hard sell to many members (too hard for some) but the early signs of investment are already apparent to those who committed to the club and hopefully will continue into the future.
I think your example demonstrates the risks and opportunities of the current situation on fee increases. It occurred to me that part of the problem is that, unless there is clear investment for improvement occurring, we have until recently not been used to anything other than token increases, given the low interest rate, low inflation conditions. Now all that has changed.

Clearly some increase has to happen. Inflation for golf clubs has arguably been running higher than consumer inflation, certainly for 22/3, if less so now. I think where clubs can have a problem is where increases are not leading to demonstrable improvement of the overall product, or maybe sometimes, where money is spent on improvement projects that are not important to many if not most members. Rather like the NHS, a golf club can never run out of things to spend money on!

My membership fees have gone up roughly the same as yours, although to be honest, without the same discernible enhancement you have enjoyed. We are a 2 course club and have very many more members per course than you, about 620 per course. So there is little or no scope to increase that, especially given we have many members trying to play 3 or 4 times a week.

I think our board have been protected somewhat by us being full and with a long waiting list, well over 200, but I hear that an analysis of that list indicates a very large number are not actively seeking to join. We might be down to a waiting list of 70-80. How long before that becomes zero and what happens then? You only need your case's % reduction in membership and we would be in a lot of trouble. If I was running a golf club right now, I'd be battening down the hatches, especially around the clubhouse/hospitality side of the business which is usually the areas that loses money. Otherwise there is a risk of increases that people either can't afford or equally, cannot justify.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think from our clubs point of view, we have gone from being a cheap club, easily one of the cheapest in the area, where the previous management tried to keep fees (both membership and green fees) down in the hope of getting more footfall, and additionally offering deals and underselling the value of membership or a round of golf in order to generate revenue streams. Unfortunately, running the club on such tight margins, doesn't allow for any cushion should said revenue streams dry up, and without spare cash, doesn't allow for any course development, and restricts maintenance to pretty much the bare minimum, resulting in declining course standards in recent years.

Obviously wider economic issues and Covid have added further "stress" to club finances. Add in the fact that we are a short course and the outside perception is that short and cheap equals crap (though societies that return year on year would indicate otherwise) which has a resulting knock on effect that may prevent folks from even considering playing the course.

The new management have come in with a different outlook....price the membership in line with maybe the "2nd tier" of pricing in the area, maybe just a little bit below our immediate local competitors (I think the price hike now sees us as the 5th most expensive in the area), increase the green fees (now £50 to play weekend and bank holiday mornings, £45 for the afternoons...we used to be £30), actively seek sponsorship (we now have every hole sponsored by a local business) etc etc...hell we've even introduced a joining fee and for the first time in memory (and I've been a member for 23 years now) we have intermediate categories for under 17's and under 25's.

Its just a more progressive attitude that, at least in the short term, appears to be reaping benefits.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Would they also insist that they pay the membership in full, upfront? I would, in their situation. You clearly can not trust those members so you need to treat them accordingly.
I assume your club does not have a joining fee?

I suppose that might be one method to get them. Sure, you can rejoin, but you have to pay the full joining fee as you are not currently members.

Direct Debit payments are probably quite common these days, and so I'm sure clubs have to deal with some members simply stopping these payments midway through the year. Out of interest, what protection do clubs have for this, especially if they do not have joining fees? Do they have conditions within their membership, that can deal with such situations?
Good question. There is no mention of having to pay the full fee up front. As it is a warning to all, I would imagine that if it was their intention to do so, it would have been stated.

No, we haven't had a joining fee for years. It was done away with a couple of years after I joined in the early 90s. As for Direct Debits I suspect that they are fairly common throughout the club, and I would guess that there have been one or two defaulters throughout the years but not enough to create a headache. The weather conditions over the last 8 months will have been the catalyst for, if not mass desertions, then certainly enough to create a problem.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Most clubs accepting direct debit, do so via a finance company, so it's a loan and if you cancel it's not the club chasing you, but the loan company.
Our DD facility is in house and runs over 10 months. It is offered to encourage those who can't afford to pay the full wack up front to maintain a membership, there is also an option to make two payments half-yearly.

While doing it in house saves the member interest charges, they do have to pay a small premium over the fee paid by those paying the full price up front.

We also offer a Lifestyle membership. Reduced annual fee, but a small green fee every time you play. There is also a facility for members facing some kind of hardship, but the details of that are only known to the club and the recipient of any assistance; confidentiality.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our DD facility is in house and runs over 10 months. It is offered to encourage those who can't afford to pay the full wack up front to maintain a membership, there is also an option to make two payments half-yearly.

While doing it in house saves the member interest charges, they do have to pay a small premium over the fee paid by those paying the full price up front.

We also offer a Lifestyle membership. Reduced annual fee, but a small green fee every time you play. There is also a facility for members facing some kind of hardship, but the details of that are only known to the club and the recipient of any assistance; confidentiality.

Apparently one member of our club pays yearly , wasn't an option offered to me

It's just a direct debit system 12 monthly

Suits me

Swango1980

Visit site

My last club just asks for membership up front, but has various grades

Full is £950 (very very few take that up)
Green Fee is £595, then you pay £4 for every round at weekends, £3 weekdays
Budget is £350, then you pay £7 for every round at weekends, £5 weekdays

Definitely suits golfers that don't really play more than once a week, and a lot of Seniors who don't play weekends. A lot of cash crosses the till, but I guess they got quite a big hit during Covid.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My last club just asks for membership up front, but has various grades

Full is £950 (very very few take that up)
Green Fee is £595, then you pay £4 for every round at weekends, £3 weekdays
Budget is £350, then you pay £7 for every round at weekends, £5 weekdays

Definitely suits golfers that don't really play more than once a week, and a lot of Seniors who don't play weekends. A lot of cash crosses the till, but I guess they got quite a big hit during Covid.

No surprise option 1 isn't popular, the others look great value in comparison
I don't know the numbers but with the cost of everyday items like a big mac or a starbucks, you'd think a fiver for pack 2 and tenner for pack 3 would still be good value and make option 1 more popular for the regulars