Membership cost increase

D-S

Visit site
I could probably find the answer to this if I trawled all 70 plus pages of this thread, but I'd be interested to hear how other clubs handle price increases. Can you say which of the three options below most accurately fit what happens at your club. The board/committee can...

1) Set whatever price increase they wish without any member input or vote
2) Increase the price by a set amount and only increases over this level require a vote
3) Can only increase prices at all with a membership vote

In the case of 2) it would be useful to know what is used as the set amount; CPI, RPI, a fixed % etc and also what % of members have to vote in favour for it to be carried

In my clubs case, it's 2), membership fees can increase by CPI with any additional rise needing a vote with a 66% majority. Our board are currently trying to change from CPI to something else because they feel it underestimates the clubs real inflation, certainly in recent years.

It would be useful if you could mention whether you are a members club or privately owned, though I imagine very few of the latter would give their members any input on prices.
Members Club, Board have the option to raise prices up to 10% with no vote. Not sure what the vote % would be needed if members voted against a higher than 10% increase as it has never happened in the last 25+ years to my knowledge (we increased 10% last year and 4.3% this year). I would assume a straight majority - AGMs are rarely contentious and we normally only just about get a quorum.

Visit site
Members Club, Board have the option to raise prices up to 10% with no vote. Not sure what the vote % would be needed if members voted against a higher than 10% increase as it has never happened in the last 25+ years to my knowledge (we increased 10% last year and 4.3% this year). I would assume a straight majority - AGMs are rarely contentious and we normally only just about get a quorum.
Thanks, useful insight. Are members generally happy with the condition of the course and clubhouse, obviously aside from the recent freak weather conditions and course closures? Out of curiosity, which club? (mine as I think you know is Minch and things here in the past few years have been a bit more contentious)

D-S

Visit site
Generally the members are happy enough with most things, we had a major refurbishment of the clubhouse a few years ago and we have made a lot of developments on the course (new tees, drainage, tree planting, scrub clearance, wall rebuilding etc.). We also have just done up and extended the Pro Shop and built an indoor studio as well as improvements to range, short game area and grass practice area. The club is Bristol and Clifton.

Visit site
Thanks. Sounds like your extra fees are being spent productively. I think we had an exchange on this, our place is also developing a fair bit, though I recall you didn't notice much happening, but our increases are way more than yours.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. Do you never get dissent if set too high (in some people's opinion) or are they generally reasonable for most? What were last year and this year's increase?
Not that I've heard off, been on Board for 5 years now and we've gone from £1085 to £1166 in 2023 and this year up to £1250. We had a new course manager 2 years ago who is doing wonders with the course so members very happy and over 100 on the waiting list. We did up the clubhouse lounge in 23 ahead of the EG under 14 and 16 girls Championship and have a new irrigation system to fund along with bunker renovations over the next few years which will mean more increases but believe we have the backing of the members as they can see the money is being well spent and taking our club forward

The Lion

Visit site
Not that I've heard off, been on Board for 5 years now and we've gone from £1085 to £1166 in 2023 and this year up to £1250. We had a new course manager 2 years ago who is doing wonders with the course so members very happy and over 100 on the waiting list. We did up the clubhouse lounge in 23 ahead of the EG under 14 and 16 girls Championship and have a new irrigation system to fund along with bunker renovations over the next few years which will mean more increases but believe we have the backing of the members as they can see the money is being well spent and taking our club forward
That sounds really positive. Which club are you at btw?

Albo

Visit site
I’m a member at 2 courses, both option 1 as far as I’m aware one members club, one privately owned.

I have no idea how the members feel about the costs going up as I tend not to talk to many if any other members at either club

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_2024-04-26-13-45-42-00_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b~2.jpg

Must say very surprised.

It's steadily increased due to opening the back 9 in 2020, didn't charge us during COVID and then went up due to the cost of living .. slowly but surely went from £80 odd a month to £120 a month (5 days)

But staying the same is very welcome

Considering they are constantly working on the 3rd 9 (yet to open) it's very surprising