Membership cost increase

shane3003

Visit site
They're a way of trying to ensure that you're not going to leave in 1-2 years..clubs like people who hang around.
If the subs are, say 1200 quid and the joining fee is 800 then if you leave after a year it makes it an expensive one.
Leave after 16 years and it's cost you 50 quid a year.

That makes sense and I’m probably that guy, thanks for the explanation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That makes sense and I’m probably that guy, thanks for the explanation.
Our joining fee is £1200 plus £1200 green fee.
So it’s very expensive outlay.
It’s a sort of ransom to ensure loyalty.
But certain category’s don’t pay it ,under 30 males or females so the club must only expect loyalty from Men over 30 yrs of age.
Imo it’s a by product of days when clubs only wanted affluent members.
They charge it because they can and get it most of the time.

Albo

Visit site
It’s pretty much to help clubs retain members and make the most out of people in the good times. When golf in on a downward trajectory joining fees are less frequent (though plenty of places have them regardless), when times are good they are more frequent.
I hate the idea of paying them too as like you prone to move so very reluctant to pay them. It just means certain clubs are out of my options list.
The money I believe goes into the club to be used for improvements or whatnot

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ours is done in a way that, if you do leave early, you're not penalised too severely.
For the first 5 years of membership we pay an extra £200 a year, effectively as a joining fee.
If you leave after a year you're only 200 quid down as opposed to the 1000 that it could have been.
After 5 years subs reduces to the Members Loyalty Rate - £200 quid cheaper.....

D-S

Visit site
I certainly wouldn’t pay a joining fee for a proprietary run for profit club where my money might be simply taken by the owner or used to improve/run other clubs in the group.
However a member’s club where all fees are used solely for the running and improvement of the club and where the vast majority of previous and current members have like wise contributed is a different matter.

HPIMG

Visit site
Last year when I joined my first club I payed the joining fee and decided after one year I really didn’t like the club so left. Joined a new club and another joining fee but I do really enjoy the new club a lot better.
I am guessing clubs have never had a option if you didn’t like the club, you get the joining fee back if you decide to leave in the first year ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m just looking at joining a club / changing club (currently PMG points member at Whittlebury Park) after moving to Loughborough.
What I am noticing in my initial searches, are most have joining fees. Now I’m not sure if these are being reintroduced or not, but when I was looking previously I didn’t see much of this although a different area.

Not to start anyone off, but what do you get for the joining fee or where does that money go?
I have a conflict with paying a joining fee which could be a lack of understanding or knowing I’m probably going to move within the next 12 months.

Looking at two of the better clubs in that area, one charges a joining fee the other doesn't. The one that doesn't charges a significantly higher annual fee and you would recoup your money inside around two years by joining the club that does charge a joining fee. In my view, the one charging the joining fee has the better golf course.

Last edited:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I don't agree with joining fees at all.
It's a discriminatory practice from a bye gone age akin to formal interviews & a pre joining round with the Captain & Chairman.

Golf clubs should modernise, the industry needs new players coming along who will enjoy golf as a leisure pursuit like any other hobby or pass time, the majority aren't interested in joining a stuffy old man's club with rules dating from the last century.

On the subject of annual fees, it's really down to where you live & how much you are prepared to part with against how often you play.

Our fees have gone up by 7%
So now in the region of £1200.00 (South West UK) Inc £50.00 bar levy.
If I was working Mon - Fri & only playing on a W/end & the odd summer evening, I'd do a flexible membership.
But as I'm retired now, I get full use out of my 7 day membership & my golf rounds work out at around £5.50 per round

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a discriminatory practice from a bye gone age akin to formal interviews & a pre joining round with the Captain & Chairman.

Golf clubs should modernise, the industry needs new players coming along who will enjoy golf as a leisure pursuit like any other hobby or pass time, the majority aren't interested in joining a stuffy old man's club with rules dating from the last century.
In a way it is a discriminatory thing..it bumps up the costs to a point that may be out of reach for some.
But........
Having a joining fee encourages those who do join to stay.
A member who pays his subs, stays a year and leaves to find the next cut price deal is a PITA to a club.
They need to recruit 2 new members to move forward.
The joining fee means members are less likely to leave after a year or 2
It's easier for the club to budget.
I get your point though and, if I'm honest, I've never been a fan of them either.

D-S

Visit site

On the subject of annual fees, it's really down to where you live & how much you are prepared to part with against how often you play.

Our fees have gone up by 7%
So now in the region of £1200.00 (South West UK) Inc £50.00 bar levy.
If I was working Mon - Fri & only playing on a W/end & the odd summer evening, I'd do a flexible membership.
But as I'm retired now, I get full use out of my 7 day membership & my golf rounds work out at around £5.50 per round
If all current and previous (for over a hundred years) members have paid them how is it discriminatory? Surely scrapping them would be discriminatory against existing members?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If all current and previous (for over a hundred years) members have paid them how is it discriminatory? Surely scrapping them would be discriminatory against existing members?

.....is what our Board say in response to that question! Everyone here has paid it. Also stops membership churn.

Joining fees are dead easy to avoid.

Captain_Black.

Visit site

That's exactly the problem I describe.
Clubs stuck in the past & not moving with the times.
Society changes & ideas change all the time, hopefully for the better (although not always I'll admit)
You could say the same about fairness when the Gov keep moving on the state retirement age, that it is discriminatory, but that doesn't stop it happening.
I'm sure there are loads of othe examples of rules & accepted practices changing, but sometimes they have to change for the better.

I get that clubs want to retain their members, which should encourage the club to be the best it can & offer the members a great golfing experience, the majority will then be satisfied to stay at their current club especially in an area like mine where the price differential between clubs is negligible.
To me, those clubs who are charging a joining fee are insecure about the quality they are offering & are wary of members leaving for a club that is offering something better.

D

Deleted member 15344

The joining fees paid over the last 3 years helped us provide a fairway irrigation system - anyone joining knows there is one but it’s structured over a 5 year period and the level of joining fee depends on your age -

As with anything people have a choice , there are always clubs around that don’t charge a joining fee but in our area their yearly fees will be higher or the quality of the golf courses will be lower

shane3003

Visit site
Looking at two of the better clubs in that area, one charges a joining fee the other doesn't. The one that doesn't charges a significantly higher annual fee and you would recoup your money inside around two years by joining the club that does charge a joining fee. In my view, the one charging the joining fee has the better golf course.

I think I’m going to try and play a round at a few and see which one I enjoy more, then look at the costs side etc. There is a strong chance I won’t be staying in the area so have to give that some thought with the joining fee etc.

D

Deleted member 23270

To me, those clubs who are charging a joining fee are insecure about the quality they are offering & are wary of members leaving for a club that is offering something better.
Try finding a top 100 club that doesn't have a joining fee.

Mandofred

Visit site
Try finding a top 100 club that doesn't have a joining fee.
Very likely true, but then again I'm the kind of person who wouldn't be comfortable at a top 100 club. Never been to one.....so maybe they are all laid-back easy going places and I have it wrong. ;)

Think I've mentioned it before, but I think only one course within 10 miles of Harrogate area has a joining fee. Down South however......

D

Deleted member 15344

Very likely true, but then again I'm the kind of person who wouldn't be comfortable at a top 100 club. Never been to one.....so maybe they are all laid-back easy going places and I have it wrong. ;)

Think I've mentioned it before, but I think only one course within 10 miles of Harrogate area has a joining fee. Down South however......

Why would a top 100 club be any different in how they make people feel ? Been comfortable at any top 100 club I have visited - always make you feel like you’re a member for the day which is how every club should work towards visitors

Mandofred

Visit site
Why would a top 100 club be any different in how they make people feel ? Been comfortable at any top 100 club I have visited - always make you feel like you’re a member for the day which is how every club should work towards visitors
I've always envisioned the top clubs to be pickier about standards, not about whether they are nice or not.......am I wrong (easily could be I guess)? If the clubs around here had the same rules as they had 20+ years ago (no sport shoes in the clubhouse, no shoe changing in parking lot etc etc) I'd have stopped playing golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've always envisioned the top clubs to be pickier about standards, not about whether they are nice or not.......am I wrong (easily could be I guess)? If the clubs around here had the same rules as they had 20+ years ago (no sport shoes in the clubhouse, no shoe changing in parking lot etc etc) I'd have stopped playing golf.

I guess if where you can change your shoes and being able to wear trainers is key to your enjoyment of the sport then there will be lots of clubs top 100 or not that won’t be to your liking but I don’t know really know what clubs can allow you to change in the car park as I always change in the changing room where I can get a wash etc