Membership cost increase

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes I know the reasons for it.
But it just dosnt quite seem right to me.

It’s a proven method that helps bring in new players to golf and to bring in people to golf clubs as members - unless you can think of another way to bring in the numbers

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a proven method that helps bring in new players to golf and to bring in people to golf clubs as members - unless you can think of another way to bring in the numbers

It all depends on the reasearch carried out which I rarely find has been undertaken. If there is a significant group of under 30s who want to play golf but find cost a prohibitve factor then it is a viable method. Same with juniors, ladies or any other defineable group. After that has been assessed and it has been calculated that this may benefit the club, the study needs to continue to assess how many remain members once the initial period of reduced fees has ended. Does someone join at age 29 and think it is a great thing at £500 still feel that it is value for money 12 months later when it is £800.00. Does it need a full year or, in some cases, up to a decade to decide that golf is worth the full price.

You also have to look at how the rest of the club feel about it. Basically you have the 40-50 year olds subisdising the rest of the club but playing the least golf. These are the working people who can only play at weekends and pay the most to play the lease whilst paying more to allow those who can play the most to play at reduced costs. If you are looking at pure membership numbers, I suspect that the club that did something to help that group would have people queing up to join.

My suggestion, cheap 2-3 month membership tied in with group lessons. That is ample time to see if someone enjoys the game enough to sign up for the rest of the year. Other option is that you have reduced fees up to the age of 18 then student discounts so as golf is cheaper whilst in education. Equally, discounts could also apply for those claiming any form of benefit so as to help those on low or apprenticeship wages. That would actually encourage all age groups and help all those who may find golf a bit expensive

D

Deleted member 15344

It all depends on the reasearch carried out which I rarely find has been undertaken. If there is a significant group of under 30s who want to play golf but find cost a prohibitve factor then it is a viable method. Same with juniors, ladies or any other defineable group. After that has been assessed and it has been calculated that this may benefit the club, the study needs to continue to assess how many remain members once the initial period of reduced fees has ended. Does someone join at age 29 and think it is a great thing at £500 still feel that it is value for money 12 months later when it is £800.00. Does it need a full year or, in some cases, up to a decade to decide that golf is worth the full price.

You also have to look at how the rest of the club feel about it. Basically you have the 40-50 year olds subisdising the rest of the club but playing the least golf. These are the working people who can only play at weekends and pay the most to play the lease whilst paying more to allow those who can play the most to play at reduced costs. If you are looking at pure membership numbers, I suspect that the club that did something to help that group would have people queing up to join.

My suggestion, cheap 2-3 month membership tied in with group lessons. That is ample time to see if someone enjoys the game enough to sign up for the rest of the year. Other option is that you have reduced fees up to the age of 18 then student discounts so as golf is cheaper whilst in education. Equally, discounts could also apply for those claiming any form of benefit so as to help those on low or apprenticeship wages. That would actually encourage all age groups and help all those who may find golf a bit expensive

When we did it - lots of research was done and England Golf have also done lots of research

Also any changes to our membership prices and categories have to be agreed at the AGM

the budget was also worked out to ensure that it was affecting the finances and it’s also monitored every year

The scheme has worked very well for us , it’s increased our membership levels below the age of 30 and 99% have stayed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
12.5% at my place
Ooof…That % would stick about £223 on my subs and crash through the £2,000 barrier ? But hopefully that won’t have to happen.

Though as our renewal in 5th April goodness knows what will happen as the government current energy price guarantee and ofgem energy price cap will change from end March. And on that I am confused about what’s due to happen. For residential customers the average bill from end March seems to be projected to be about £3000, whilst the ofgem energy price cap will go up to about £4300. No idea without researching further what might happen for businesses and so to golf clubs.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Membership is full
We have quite a healthy waiting list so don’t see the reason for discounts for anyone.
Especially based on sex. I thought that was illegal now, but members clubs seem immune.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Membership is full
We have quite a healthy waiting list so don’t see the reason for discounts for anyone.
Especially based on sex. I thought that was illegal now, but members clubs seem immune.

Not all members clubs give discount based on male/female. Ours doesn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know but ours does even though we’re full.
That’s how equality works.
We’re all full members but some pay more than others .

Is there any club where every single member plays exactly the same fees ?

Is it fair that a 70 year who plays 7 days a week pays less than a 50 year old who can only play on Saturday and Sunday ?

If a club was full of juniors and ladies then they wouldn’t need to offer deals but not many clubs are even with full clubs and waiting lists

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there any club where every single member plays exactly the same fees ?

Is it fair that a 70 year who plays 7 days a week pays less than a 50 year old who can only play on Saturday and Sunday ?

If a club was full of juniors and ladies then they wouldn’t need to offer deals but not many clubs are even with full clubs and waiting lists
Ours is though hence my post ,you don’t seem to have seen that statement.
I am talking about my club nobody else’s.

I know a few 70 yr olds still working who only play at the weekend.
But that’s not the point .
we should all pay the same if you want to be a member. Exc juniors.
It’s a luxury sport

Should the ladies get cheaper drinks, under 30s cheaper drinks / meals.?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club the same

Under 18 category
18 - 21 category

Then full member
Male, female, 22yrs old or 102yrs old....same price

i am in the middle on this one. No probs helping the younger workers and uni leavers etc staying in the clubs with a cheaper deal but one that moves towards full by mid to late twenties. Say 28 - 7 years post grad most will be earning good money and if manual workers fully trained, qualified and near peak earnings if plumbers, electricians, builders etc - no reason the rest of the club should subsidise anymore

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

By your clubs reasoning they should start offering discounts to middle aged male and senior male golfers as they're underrepresented in that demographic. ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Artisans were those who got free membership in return for labour on the course or premises
We still have an associated Artisans club albeit its membership is very limited….to maybe 30. Quite restricted tee times, but they run pretty independent of the club and have their own competitions. In return it’s members do fairly regular manual work sessions around the course such as pine-pulling and divot filling, the sort of stuff the greens team haven’t got the time to do.

In general I don’t mind paying a little more in my subs to subsidise younger members as a healthy and thriving club needs a broad range demographic, with depth of numbers in all age ranges. I am not in the slightest bit bothered about what anyone earns and their ability or otherwise to pay full subs. That is none of my business, nor is it the business of the club, and is irrelevant when the club is encouraging a younger demographic to join and stay joined.

If I am comfortable with my level of subs and happy to pay it, it is no interest to me what others are paying. I don’t need to create and foment resentments in my head relating to my main recreational activity.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
i am in the middle on this one. No probs helping the younger workers and uni leavers etc staying in the clubs with a cheaper deal but one that moves towards full by mid to late twenties. Say 28 - 7 years post grad most will be earning good money and if manual workers fully trained, qualified and near peak earnings if plumbers, electricians, builders etc - no reason the rest of the club should subsidise anymore

how much disposable income do you think a 28 year old has?

They may be on "decent money" though that may also not be true, average salary for a 28 year old is £24,000 across the UK. Which after student loan, pension contributions etc they are probably taking home £1,500pcm take out rent/mortgage, council tax, food, travel expenses, utilities etc they are not going to have a lot of disposable income, of course some will but you don't create a policy because a small minority fit into it.

D-S

Visit site
We offer free membership to Juniors whose parents, grandparents or guardians are full members. This has galvanised our Junior section, it has also been an incentive for younger mothers and fathers to encourage their children to play the game and helped retain some younger parents. As Junior subs are so low it was a small cost to the Club but broadly welcomed by members. Great way of encouraging Junior golf and seeing families in the game.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
We offer free membership to Juniors whose parents, grandparents or guardians are full members. This has galvanised our Junior section, it has also been an incentive for younger mothers and fathers to encourage their children to play the game and helped retain some younger parents. As Junior subs are so low it was a small cost to the Club but broadly welcomed by members. Great way of encouraging Junior golf and seeing families in the game.

I am looking to rejoin a club, and one offers free junior membership with a paying adult, and that is definitely a major positive that may even swing it so they get my business

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does any club offer reduced membership costs for people of benefits or low income in general. Plenty of posts about reducing costs for under 30s to make it affordable but not much in relation to making golf affordable for others. If the aim of reduced costs for certan groups is to put golf membership withing their grasp then surely clubs should also be looking at similar schemes for all low income individuals.