Matchplay semi final tomorrow-Almost beaten before I start!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was playing off 7 when I gave up at the age of 18 (wine, women and work). Thirty years later my wife suggested I took it up again and within two weeks of the restart I was breaking 80. A bit like riding a bike.
You mean you didn't stabilisers!!
Bet you didn't need 'water-wings' next time you were swimming....
IT'S A MIRICLE!!!!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3off the tee?

How did you find out he used to be off such a low handicap. Surely if he is bragging about that it would and should filter down to the handicap sec. If he knows someone at the club would they not say in front of other people to kind of shame him into coming clean.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What initial H/cap did you get on your return? Did you submit just 'any old cards' or choose 3 more appropriate ones?

Bit of track, I declared my junior handicap when i rejoined a new club formally but I reckon 8-9yrs had passed so they based it mainly on three cards. Think I was given 15.

I've got it down to 13 and then back up to 14 over the years (c.10 qualifying rounds a year at best) but it's just very sporadic. Can play well and go to 7/8 for 18, or blow up more and be 20 plus.

Slightly different to the topic as I was never a good single figure player so it may just be my level, but an example of how games change when in effect it should be easier for me to be lower now given distance is a big asset in golf. (Not massive distance 250/260 drives but a lot further than as a junior)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3off the tee?

How did you find out he used to be off such a low handicap. Surely if he is bragging about that it would and should filter down to the handicap sec. If he knows someone at the club would they not say in front of other people to kind of shame him into coming clean.

He was not bragging. I asked him the question during our round yesterday.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You knew about it before the match. I was wondering how.

If you knew then so should the handicap sec.
Gary

I said I asked him during our match, see above. In the original post I said I thought he had been down to 6/7.

I live in a smallish town around 10000 and it takes very little nous to ask around with other people in the area who are/ have been members at our Club.

Also I know the lad from local pubs and he is a distant relative of my wife.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gary

I said I asked him during our match, see above. In the original post I said I thought he had been down to 6/7.

I live in a smallish town around 10000 and it takes very little nous to ask around with other people in the area who are/ have been members at our Club.

Also I know the lad from local pubs and he is a distant relative of my wife.

Well for me hes a fraud and anyone that knows him should ridicule him till he plays off a more realistic handicap.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I went well over ten years without playing, before returning to Blackmoor. Must have been a long time as I had persimmon woods.:eek: Pro said I could have last club handicap or lowest one. Went for last, 11, and over the next year it went up to 12, and then came back down to 9, and now is 11 again. If I had the option of putting three cards in I would probably have been off about 16, and could have been dangerous in the comps. This was about 12 years ago, so before three cards ?:unsure:

We now have members that played as juniors off single figures, give up for less than 10 years, and are getting high teen handicaps. Strangely they are winning quite a few board competitions.:confused: Some within a year are getting back to their original handicap. Something is not right.

User20204

Visit site
We now have members that played as juniors off single figures, give up for less than 10 years, and are getting high teen handicaps. Strangely they are winning quite a few board competitions.:confused: Some within a year are getting back to their original handicap. Something is not right.

Why should you care ? Like so what if they are winning things, it means nothing to me, can't quite understand why someone else's handicap bothers others, I play for me and my handicap, not interested in anyone else.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went well over ten years without playing, before returning to Blackmoor. Must have been a long time as I had persimmon woods.:eek: Pro said I could have last club handicap or lowest one. Went for last, 11, and over the next year it went up to 12, and then came back down to 9, and now is 11 again. If I had the option of putting three cards in I would probably have been off about 16, and could have been dangerous in the comps. This was about 12 years ago, so before three cards ?:unsure:

A lot of it could be due to lack of knowledge, many clubs, especially proprietary club handicaps are run by volunteers who learn on the hoof and at times can be influenced by the wrong people.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

And yet that last paragraph Rich, to some it's just sour grapes, yet is widespread throughout golf. 🤔☹️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Why should you care ? Like so what if they are winning things, it means nothing to me, can't quite understand why someone else's handicap bothers others, I play for me and my handicap, not interested in anyone else.

Of all the comments I have read on this forum. This is one of the worst. In simple terms. The manipulation of others handicaps is helping them to win board competitions, money etc etc. They are beating you with your honest handicap, Richart with his and mine. Yet it does not bother you. Does integrity mean nothing.
My last comment on this thread. I am out.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some pick the game back up easily and it’s mainly juniors returning as young adults but it will also depend on how often they get to play etc , each case judge on its own merits.

Anyone who does return to golf should always be monitored early stages ( in fact anyone getting a new HC ) - and if it’s wrong it’s easily adjusted ( either way ) - just needs the right person being the HC sec

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Some pick the game back up easily and it’s mainly juniors returning as young adults but it will also depend on how often they get to play etc , each case judge on its own merits.

Anyone who does return to golf should always be monitored early stages ( in fact anyone getting a new HC ) - and if it’s wrong it’s easily adjusted ( either way ) - just needs the right person being the HC sec
Mid teens to cat 1 in 16 months is good going. Any adjustments might be a bit late.:unsure: Personally think anyone that has played as a junior with a low handicap, assuming still physically fit and not chrisd ancient, is going to get to a decent standard again pretty quickly. Perhaps take into account golfers age when they had last handicap ? Better to get given a handicap too low and work back up rather than other way round.

I would say it is a very very small minority, but can lead to some interesting discussions in the clubhouse.;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Whilst judging each case on its merits seems fair its ad hoc and open to committees not doing their job. Most committees I've come across try and do the best they can but are often made up of people who have jobs outside of golf. And ad hoc is open to bar room lawyers saying its not fair, it shows favouritism and is just plain wooly.

I'd much sooner see a committee set either a low-ish handicap to returning golfers or give them their old handicap. And then, as you say, manage it but manage it up rather than managing it down after 'the damage is done.'

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst judging each case on its merits seems fair its ad hoc and open to committees not doing their job. Most committees I've come across try and do the best they can but are often made up of people who have jobs outside of golf. And ad hoc is open to bar room lawyers saying its not fair, it shows favouritism and is just plain wooly.

I'd much sooner see a committee set either a low-ish handicap to returning golfers or give them their old handicap. And then, as you say, manage it but manage it up rather than managing it down after 'the damage is done.'

The formula used already produced a HC lower than what they shot in their HC cards they submit , and I’m sure during a presentation somewhere the majority actually go up in HC over their first year in comps - any decent HC committee should be monitoring the HC in the first 6 months at least and the first signs of the HC being too high get acted upon