Matchplay semi final tomorrow-Almost beaten before I start!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
He plays most nights while working away I believe, had lessons, club fitting etc.
Someone off 21 shouldnt be attacking pins with wedges hole after hole, chipping close every time and nailing lots of putts 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He plays most nights while working away I believe, had lessons, club fitting etc.
Someone off 21 shouldnt be attacking pins with wedges hole after hole, chipping close every time and nailing lots of putts 😂
Does sound fishy but we're back to the old question of how you deal with guys deliberately only playing the requisite number of qualifiers a year to keep the handicap going and potentially going up with those, and then playing regularly and better elsewhere and coming to these big events and shooting the lights out.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone can nail putts, putting is the one area where handicap doesn't come into it. Well, if you can read the greens properly. Experience of playing can help improve, but you can also be new to golf and put very well.

D

Deleted member 15344

The 21 handicapper hasn't played a qualifier all year to purposely keep his handicap high (it's a been a bit of a running joke but it's not really funny now),
It's also cheating in my opinion
Well yes but there's not a lot we can do about it.
Yes there is - if he has admitted it then the HC committee can sanction him for handicap manipulation and then DQ from any matchplays etc
I'm not dobbing in a mate ffs.

As you have already stated you don’t appear to want to do the action which would rectify the situation. You have a mate who is cheating by manipulating the handicap system , there is a process in place where you can approach the committee but you won’t because “you won’t dob in a mate” - so what do you expect to happen then ? Can you really grumble about him when you won’t do anything about it ?

I’m sure you will come back with something humorous but ultimately you are condoning it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does sound fishy but we're back to the old question of how you deal with guys deliberately only playing the requisite number of qualifiers a year to keep the handicap going and potentially going up with those, and then playing regularly and better elsewhere and coming to these big events and shooting the lights out.

I feel for him in a way, when he's back he can only play once a weekend due to family commitments, but at the same time he's avoided q comps like the plague. I think I mentioned before, non of their previous 4 matches in this comp have gone past the 13th hole, that takes some doing. I've spoken to people they've played in previous rounds and they are gobsmacked with how well he plays off 21, and they dont know what I do.

brfcfan

Visit site
Has this person rejoined the club he was previously a member of ? Why would he need to tell them

I see he was away for a decade ? Did he just stop playing for ten years ?

If someone had told me that they used to play off 5 over ten years ago then it wouldn’t matter - the handicap he would gain would be the one he got from his three cards and then monitored.

You are right it’s coming across as a little bit of sour grapes.

I am a handicap sec at my club and I do not blindly award a handicap based on his 3 cards, I take into account his previous handicap. Not only that but I assess newly awarded handicaps and if I feel I have awarded him a handicap that is too high then in discussion with him it may be adjusted. In this case I dont think 3offthetees handicap sec is doing his club any favours. We also require new members to play 6 comps before they can enter knockouts so that their ability can be assessed as often 3 cards can be submitted in less than perfect conditions.