Matchplay semi final tomorrow-Almost beaten before I start!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear

So are another who whinges and cries about people manipulating the system to gain a false handicap in order to win but when it’s a mate bottle it ?

And yes in regards HC I did have an issue with a golf buddy when they were playing of “looking for .1’s “ to get his handicap higher - it was addressed as I had to be fair and impartial.

Golf is about integrity- if someone has no issues with a mate cheating then there is the integrity gone
Hahaha. Have a day off Phil. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

So is the general concesus that if you prev played off a low handicap you should have that as your handicap???

if so Homer should be playing off 4 :LOL::LOL:

I think my last valid handicap would have been about 16-18 before giving up the game.

Then got given a 10 handicap on returning. I would rather have had my old handicap!! :)

For any system there is always going to be problems, especially if people aren't fully honest.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think my last valid handicap would have been about 16-18 before giving up the game.

Then got given a 10 handicap on returning. I would rather have had my old handicap!! :)

For any system there is always going to be problems, especially if people aren't fully honest.
Thats the problem and as i put in Tashys Thread, the issue is people think the handicap system is there to help them win things, its not.

everything scratch would sort it once and for all;):LOL:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm clearly missing your point or you're missing mine. Those manipulating their handicaps is their issue not mine, I play to be as low a handicap golfer as possible, why would it bother me about someone else, they ain't winning nothing off of me, I play for myself.
So it doesn't bother you that other people are cheating?

User20204

Visit site
So it doesn't bother you that other people are cheating?

I'm not overly impressed with it, who would be but as I have said, I play for myself, my handicap, if others are cheating to win I'll draw my own opinion of them but it makes no odds to my game cause they aren't taking anything off of me. As it happens, I gave up playing match play due a 21 capper I played against last year, not suggesting he's a cheat but it's not for me given how he played that night.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Again you can monitor that as well - clubs don’t have that many matchplay events over qualifying comps and I’m my time I haven’t come across anyone who just enters matchplays plus the bare minimum.

There are obvious high profile cases where people have been banned from national comps due to HC sandbagging

We certainly have at least one that is known. Only entered 3 qualifiers last year and none currently this year so far. Committee tried to address somewhat on annual review with a 2 shot reduction. But he did just play our recent HC club champ in the 1/4 final singles and beat him 6&4 if any indication.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How many times have I played with a 13-16 handicapper for the first time - and pretty quickly been able to ask 'I'm thinking you've played off much lower in the past?' And I get a response of form - yup - have been pretty good single figures but have taken 10yrs off with moving house and family growing up - played only a few times a year - just getting back into it'

And I was one of these golfers. Some aspects of my game - short game especially - were pretty quickly back to my previous level - and handicap to to single figures fairly quickly - though getting back to where my best has been is still a work in progress.

What got me down to my 'best' was a swing that was grooved - but that came out of the groove (actually fell off the knife-edge) in my time away from regular golf - it was actually very flawed so I am having to find a better way.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well our semi final went well, shook hands on the 11th 🙄.
Ok me and my mate didn't pull up any trees but the lad off 21 was 4 over through 11 holes, we just couldn't compete.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I fear there is not a lot of honesty in many people's golf & it shows greatest in Matchplay :(:( unfortunately, as that's is one of the finest forms of the game.

User20204

Visit site
Ok me and my mate didn't pull up any trees but the lad off 21 was 4 over through 11 holes, we just couldn't compete.

Similar to my match 15 handicapper 5 over after 14. Cannot live with these people

Sorry but I disagree, I don't believe it is similar. A 15 only being +4 thru 14 isn't a huge surprise and probably happens at most clubs regularly however a 21 only being +4 thru 11 I do think has a certain aroma to it.

To quantify that, yesterday I played with an 8 who hits it further than me (I'm not the longest but no slouch) that 8 man played off of 15 last year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe you should have spoken to the handicap committee about your mate who is deliberately manufacturing his HC high after all - I guess his cheating is prospering

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has this guy played similarly well in previous rounds? I'm all for the "every dog has its day" and accept that as handicap golfers we can chuck a low one in, but if this guy is doing it a few times it does set alarm bells ringing. Sadly there are players out there who will work the system

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are these guys holding their handicap for these knock out comps.

Surely if they can score like that they would scoop up a few prizes in normal comps.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has this guy played similarly well in previous rounds?

There's been patches but it's been a couple of months since we've played together and only then in pairs/4ball team games. It's really hard to judge as he never really plays in the weekend comps like regular members do, he's away mon-fri but plays most nights where he stays.
He actually said earlier, he's been prioritising pairs comps over Q comps this year so...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's been patches but it's been a couple of months since we've played together and only then in pairs/4ball team games. It's really hard to judge as he never really plays in the weekend comps like regular members do, he's away mon-fri but plays most nights where he stays.
He actually said earlier, he's been prioritising pairs comps over Q comps this year so...

Given what you've said, and while "prioritising pairs comps" could sound iffy, perhaps he really did just have a "day out" and one of those rounds. Sadly there are some that deliberately manipulate handicaps to target certain competitions but sometimes you can come across someone having these one off days and just have to admire the quality of the golf. Does the guy play when he's away?