Matchplay semi final tomorrow-Almost beaten before I start!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends on how long they were out for

We had someone who was off 4 , left and went abroad for 7/8 years - came back 2 years ago and was given 12 with his cards and has stayed around there

It all depends on how long someone was out for , how long they were off 5 for and what the strengths of their game is
And their age!

Bad Luck TOTT, but well done getting so far.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends on how long they were out for

We had someone who was off 4 , left and went abroad for 7/8 years - came back 2 years ago and was given 12 with his cards and has stayed around there

It all depends on how long someone was out for , how long they were off 5 for and what the strengths of their game is

I get that, but OP said he forgot to fill all the information in on the form, surely he would've remembered to fill that in?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It does smack a little of a recent thread we had on here. If a form asks for previous handicap information I don't see how "forgetting" is acceptable. It asks a direct question and the guy, based on what we've been told failed to disclose the information willingly to get a far higher handicap than ability. Ten years isn't a huge period of time and it isn't beyond the realms to think he has continued playing, even as a nomad, and still hit balls at ranges in that time

Siolag

Visit site
It does smack a little of a recent thread we had on here. If a form asks for previous handicap information I don't see how "forgetting" is acceptable. It asks a direct question and the guy, based on what we've been told failed to disclose the information willingly to get a far higher handicap than ability. Ten years isn't a huge period of time and it isn't beyond the realms to think he has continued playing, even as a nomad, and still hit balls at ranges in that time

I agree, even if the guy couldn't specifically remember his handicap, he had a responsibility to say "I have played before and would score x generally". He would also know that having played before.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

This^^ it is a recurring theme and is discussed on here regularly. ☹️

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He played the 6th to 14th holes in 2 over. It could have been 1 over as he had a 5 footer for 2 on 14th(par3 190 yards)but I had 4.

He played extremely well and he certainly deserved to win. Difficult to say much as it would sound like sour grapes. However I would expect him to have mentioned he had played at our Club before on the application form.

If people rest easy at night having been category 1 that is their prerogative. All I could do is wish him well in The Final!

D

Deleted member 15344

He played the 6th to 14th holes in 2 over. It could have been 1 over as he had a 5 footer for 2 on 14th(par3 190 yards)but I had 4.

He played extremely well and he certainly deserved to win. Difficult to say much as it would sound like sour grapes. However I would expect him to have mentioned he had played at our Club before on the application form.

If people rest easy at night having been category 1 that is their prerogative. All I could do is wish him well in The Final!
Has this person rejoined the club he was previously a member of ? Why would he need to tell them

I see he was away for a decade ? Did he just stop playing for ten years ?

If someone had told me that they used to play off 5 over ten years ago then it wouldn’t matter - the handicap he would gain would be the one he got from his three cards and then monitored.

You are right it’s coming across as a little bit of sour grapes.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has this person rejoined the club he was previously a member of ? Why would he need to tell them

I see he was away for a decade ? Did he just stop playing for ten years ?

If someone had told me that they used to play off 5 over ten years ago then it wouldn’t matter - the handicap he would gain would be the one he got from his three cards and then monitored.

You are right it’s coming across as a little bit of sour grapes.
Phil I have never responded to any of your argumentative comments as I have better ways to spend my time.

However may I respectfully suggest the posts I have added have added nothing but praise for the guy who won today. I was totally outplayed by a far superior player. Hopefully you have taken the time to read my comments as I take exception to your final sentence.

He would need to tell the Club as it states on the form. Have you played golf anywhere before and if so what was your handicap? Whether he responds is his prerogative.

That is a simple question which requires a simple answer

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil I have never responded to any of your argumentative comments as I have better ways to spend my time.
Argumentative ??? I just asked you a couple of questions in regards the persons Handicap and then gave you my view in regards someone who has been away from the game for a long period ( from an ex Handicap Sec POV )
However may I respectfully suggest the posts I have added have added nothing but praise for the guy who won today. I was totally outplayed by a far superior player. Hopefully you have taken the time to read my comments as I take exception to your final sentence.
?
But you kept mentioning his previous HC - you mentioned he never declared his handicap ? hence why i asked has he rejoined the same club as before - so the club should already have potential previous details but its ten years

And then you mentioned people "resting easy at night having been Cat 1"

And then you mentioned sour grapes but reading through your posts it does look like sour grapes.
He would need to tell the Club as it states on the form. Have you played golf anywhere before and if so what was your handicap? Whether he responds is his prerogative.

That is a simple question which requires a simple answer

He has been away ten years from the sport - if he was a member at the same club ten years before then someone would know him from the administration ? But even then its still ten years and a lot can change in that period

Was a Cat 1.... so Cat 3 is totally ridiculous …. should have been given 10 at the very most then reviewed..... he's been gifted a h/cap & that's shocking

Its not ridiculous because you have to judge on a case by case basis

We have had it with people returning after 8 years or even 15 years - its a long time to be out of the game so you judge by the cards they put in and then monitor - can just given someone a handicap based on previous history without seeing how they score

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there proof he never mentioned his previous handicap or just hearsay ? Just because who exactly would have access to the form to tell everyone

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Related to playing my own game and not dwelling over things that have happened. I think positively about my opponent's play when he plays a great shot - in my head I will almost celebrate his good shot. I don't let myself feel down when my opponent does something excellent as I can't influence what has been done. If I start feeling down at his good play I struggle to be positive about my own. When my own play is OK or good then I try to cultivate positivity in my approach and thinking - and do all I can to protect that feeling.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Replying to post 31 LP let me say first you really need to copy the whole post rather that extracts for your benefit.should have realised that is was remiss of me to query any of your comments but we all live and learn.

If you had bothered post 17 said
Well beaten 5 and 4 by a much better player. His short game was superb, nailed 5 putts from 10 feet. He was level par for the 5 holes we played on the back 9. Thoroughly deserved victory for my opponent.
Post 26

He played extremely well and certainly deserved to win. Not much sour grapes in there but who am I to have a different opinion.

The guy would have been 5 or 6 over after 14. Well played to him

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Disagree whole heartedly
If his excellent previous golfing abilities don't matter, why is the question even on the form?

D

Deleted member 15344

Replying to post 31 LP let me say first you really need to copy the whole post rather that extracts for your benefit.should have realised that is was remiss of me to query any of your comments but we all live and learn.

If you had bothered post 17 said
Well beaten 5 and 4 by a much better player. His short game was superb, nailed 5 putts from 10 feet. He was level par for the 5 holes we played on the back 9. Thoroughly deserved victory for my opponent.
Post 26

He played extremely well and certainly deserved to win. Not much sour grapes in there but who am I to have a different opinion.

The guy would have been 5 or 6 over after 14. Well played to him

i didnt "extract" anything - it was your whole post but broken down so that i could reply to each point you made

Yes you did say he played very well but have you not also pointed out a number of times about his previous time at the club and being on a different HC at one stage ?

Im not sure why you have reacted as you have, if you didnt have an issue with his previous HC then im not sure why you have mentioned it

Disagree whole heartedly
If his excellent previous golfing abilities don't matter, why is the question even on the form?

Its a generic form just like ours is - put every single HC sec is able to search through CDH to find history which i have done on many occasions mainly as people seem to forget CDH numbers etc - a decent HC sec ensures history is there. But as said after 10 years it doesnt matter because without playing for ten years then someones ability changes - so you give them the HC they gain with the three cards but just monitor

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I think, to be fair to the OP, he has been reasonably magnanimous in defeat, and probably by his own admission, his opponents ability had got in his head before the match commenced and whilst he's appreciating he was well beat by a better player, it's hard to shake the thoughts in your head from before the event (ie, this is a really good player, he's going to beat me, he's so good he shouldn't even be playing in this comp etc.). We all have a way that we justify our losses - this is it. There's no more sour grapes here than there was from before the match commenced.

Which really is why TOTT posted originally - how do you mentally approach the match in the first place?

D

Deleted member 1418

You've reached a semi final so just continue to do what you've done in previous rounds - it's obviously worked! 😉👍

So dont take any advice off anyone on here who a) may not have played a match play comp this year; or b) have and got knocked out early!!! 😉😂😂😂

D

Deleted member 1418

You've reached a semi final so just continue to do what you've done in previous rounds - it's obviously worked! 😉👍

So dont take any advice off anyone on here who a) may not have played a match play comp this year; or b) have and got knocked out early!!! 😉😂😂😂

Sorry didn't read the whole thread before I posted! Sorry to hear you lost. Chin up - well done for reaching the semi.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you're probably right on the fact they should be playing of a lower handicap.

However just my thoughts:

1. I think you've handled it better than most with being complementary about his game and taking the defeat, but I can see LiverpoolPhil's point that the comments on handicap, play etc. is effectively throwing shade on the win and can come across as sour grapes. I'd just prefer it if people accepted any handicap decisions and played without comment to a degree, but that's more my overriding view on how easily bandit is thrown around in jest or for real rather than this case.

2. Doesn't it depend on what stage in life he is as to how ridiculous a high handicap is (or other circumstances). E.g. Teenager playing every day off 5, then going away 10 years drinking 20 pints and weighing 20 stone, may not have the same ability. I'm very different but as a kid played to 16 - good short game, low distances but pretty straight, 4 years at uni and ever since - grew so significant power, much more yardage but still around 16 as short game goes as i play so infrequently. Can have hot patches of even through 9 holes (sadly never 1-9 or 10-18) but my medal and stableford scores reflect my inconsistency.