Masters 2023

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Happens a lot in cricket - they have it during every T20 match including the final
Though I like it and it is fun, T20 isn't proper cricket. I think Rory talking mid-round is great for viewers but I just cannot believe he's doing this at the Masters. He always seems to go into this competition with a new thing/idea but if he just stuck to what he is good at and got his wedges and putter working, he would win.

I really do think we may have seen his last major win, which is just absolutely insane for how good he is.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a bad first day, having 3 tied for the lead is great, and a good mix of players for the viewers.

- It's quite amusing listening to the Sky guys do their best not to mention voldermort LIV, but it sneaks in occasionally.
- Masters app is brilliant
- McIlroy should ask Rotella for his money back
- Scheffler missed so many putts, and still posted a good score. Will be in contention come Sunday
- Great recovery by Rahm
- Absence of some shots by some players is disappointing... PM in particular had some tv worthy shots (watch in app!)
- McIlroy's short game (1st hole exception) and bunker play was 'mediocre'.
- In play interviews..... not to blame for anything, but will be interesting to see if Rahm or Scheffler agree to be micced up at any point (FWIW, I don't think so)
- Social media is awash with both anti PGAT and anti LIV commentary. At this point, don't think it matters which camp boasts a winner, there will be reasons why it has to be devalued which is unfair.
- Loving Sky's insight. McGinley, after McIlroy on 13: "That's okay, some birdie chances coming up for McIlroy, on 14, 15 and 16....(big pause).... and 17 and 18", so just the holes left to play then. Also struggling to name the 3rd back to back winner of the Masters, whilst sitting in a booth with Faldo. Embarrassing. But at least he's got an analytical mind....
- I want to be Hovland.
- Woods, great to see him, but wasn't disappointed when his round finished.
- I am absolutely hoping for shocking weather for the next 3 days and for Lowry to cope best with it.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, Brian. To put it into some sort of perspective, Iain Carter said on BBC Sport last night that McIlroy is renowned amongst journalists for ALWAYS refusing on-course interviews. He, too, expressed real surprise, not only that Rory had at last agreed to be interviewed during a round but more so that it was during the first round of the one Major he is so desperate to win.

I always considered Carter to be a decent journalist who knows his stuff. But by expressing that opinion he will have lowered himself in the eyes of some here to an amateur psychologist who fills his pants on the first tee during his club’s monthly stableford.

🙄

Interesting opinion from Carter considering Rory has already done this before earlier this season

Springveldt

Visit site
Though I like it and it is fun, T20 isn't proper cricket. I think Rory talking mid-round is great for viewers but I just cannot believe he's doing this at the Masters. He always seems to go into this competition with a new thing/idea but if he just stuck to what he is good at and got his wedges and putter working, he would win.

I really do think we may have seen his last major win, which is just absolutely insane for how good he is.
I don’t see the problem with it. It was a 5 hour round yesterday and he isn’t going to be concentrating for the full 5 hours.

It’s like people thinking that you just stop talking to your mates during your round if you are 5 under handicap and have a shot at winning.

Faldo even said before the coverage started that you need to treat them like any other event and not get too hyped too early with them.

Springveldt

Visit site
Number of shots off the lead by the winner since 1998 after round one

View attachment 47256
So Rory really has is work cut out. With the quality of players above him and with the forecast soft conditions I think even at this early stage 7 shots is too much to make up. He’s probably going to have to shoot a minimum of 3 67’s to have a chance imho.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
So Rory really has is work cut out. With the quality of players above him and with the forecast soft conditions I think even at this early stage 7 shots is too much to make up. He’s probably going to have to shoot a minimum of 3 67’s to have a chance imho.

Yes, I've gone a little further back to 1993 and in those 30 years nobody has come back to win after being more than 7 shots behind, and that was Tiger, just the once.

The weather could make things generally more interesting as it's due to be windy and wet, especially tomorrow. Although Koepka looks to have a good start time.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Koepka and Woodland sharing club help, now that is veeeeery suspect. Just because they break that rule all the time (I know, whaaat?!?!), doesnt mean he shouldnt have been sanctioned this time.

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
For those interested i've amended the previous list to show the number of shots behind for the winner in each year for each round back to 1993. It now shows how many shots they were in front by (if any). What's perhaps most striking is how many times the player with a one or more shot lead at the end of each round goes on to win.

Winner when leadiing at the end of 1st Round = Two times (6%)
Winner when leading at the dnd of 2nd Round = Six times (20%)
Winner when leading at the end of the 3rd Round = Ten times (33%) - and three of those were in the last 3 years.

Red = Shots behind leader at end of round
Green = Shots in front of field at end of round

1680874289898.png

D

Deleted member 21445

Brooks is looking superb at the moment.

Anybody who watched Liv Orlando saw that Brooks Koepka was in complete control of his golf ball and injury free for the 1st time since dislocating his knee heading to Augusta.

History says when he is in that place he turns it on in the majors.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody who watched Liv Orlando saw that Brooks Koepka was in complete control of his golf ball and injury free for the 1st time since dislocating his knee heading to Augusta.

History says when he is in that place he turns it on in the majors.

Always delighted when Brooks plays well, he started playing on the Challenge Tour and won the Scottish Hydro Challenge back in the day 😀