Marker for competitions - who can?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rules for who can mark your card in a competition Says:

[FONT=&quot]"Each card must be marked and signed by a responsible person acceptable to the Handicap Committee". [/FONT]

At my club (and previous club), there is no issue with a visitor (member of another club with official handicap) marking a card for a member in a competition. Obviously i'm talking about roll-up events like midweek medals and pro shop stablefords rather than drawn events on a Saturday morning.

just wondered what other peoples views are?

i have no issue with it especially as it enables me to play midweek events when i might have struggled to get a member to play with me late after work etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't see why a club would insist on it being a fellow member, after all when you play in opens it is seldom with someone from the same club. Anyone who is a club member is good enough for me.

D

Deleted member 21258

When I got my handicap this time round, I just had to get the cards scored/signed by a member(did not have to hold a handicap). (same as the previous time many years ago at a different club)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's one of those things that clubs tend to document without huge consideration or debate, frequently for one specific purpose e.g. gaining a handicap, and then that definition gets carried on until there is an issue that causes review.
Member is frequently included for club internal competitions because they have a know reference point that can be contacted if required.Generally with open events the players are anticipated to be available if, and when, there's anything to query - worse can there are contact details from entry.
Member with handicap tends to arrive via a working definition for handicap cards shorthand for 'someone we can contact that should have some idea of scoring'.

Personally I favour 'fellow competitor unless specifically authorised by the committee' (which automatically includes people authorised to act on their behalf such as a starter or the professional team).
For handicap cards, including supplementals,there's a strong argument for any handicap holding member of any recognised golf club.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I asked a few weeks ago if one of my guest could to mark my card to allow me to play in our Friday medal.
Seemingly it's not allowed in an internal club comp, only in an open comp.:(

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
for those of you interested, Burnham & Berrow has confirmed they are happy for a guest to mark my card as long as i tee off outside of the members tee times - which makes perfect sense.