Machrihanish ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few of us [6 or 8 ], are debating about going for a couple of games , possibly flying, staying for one or maybe 2 nights. Sometime near the end of April 2018.
Any advice re travel, accommodation and what courses to book, would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance
Billy.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great place for a golf trip. I've always driven it, which can be long and a bit frustrating if you get stuck in traffic but very manageable.

Stay at Ugadale hotel (or cottages) in Machrihanish and play Machrihanish and Mach Dunes. Dunaverty isn't in the same league but a good fun course if you want another option.

Or if you want a bit more option for pubs etc stay in Campbeltown - we stayed in the Royal Hotel there which was fine too.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Machrihanish Dunes 2 years ago. Drove down for a 11am tee off(4+ hour drive), played my round then drove home 😂. The course was pretty good but I've heard the Championship course is meant to be the mutts nuts.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great place for a golf trip. I've always driven it, which can be long and a bit frustrating if you get stuck in traffic but very manageable.

Stay at Ugadale hotel (or cottages) in Machrihanish and play Machrihanish and Mach Dunes. Dunaverty isn't in the same league but a good fun course if you want another option.

Or if you want a bit more option for pubs etc stay in Campbeltown - we stayed in the Royal Hotel there which was fine too.

What she said.

The cottages are very good, they’ll each take 4 people, full kitchen facilities in them

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks Karen, cottages seem the favourite ATM, but early days yet.:cheers:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best deals are stay at dunes resort with golf chucked in. Try n play dunes at least twice to take it in. ( took me a few rounds love it) also try the old mach has some nice holes but poor last few ( due to its history) dunaverty is a fun course have fun . Also the folk u go with make it , Val FD brilliant weekend. Also dont be suprised if u fancy joining one of them. Its been known to happen

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Can't really add to the above all good advice. Played the Campbeltown open at the dunes two three years ago and having only seen the course the day before I was gutted not to break 80 but hey ho. Longish drive to get there but if the weathers good the views are worth it. We stayed at the cottages, top class.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I played Machrihanish Dunes 2 years ago. Drove down for a 11am tee off(4+ hour drive), played my round then drove home 😂. The course was pretty good but I've heard the Championship course is meant to be the mutts nuts.

Very little difference between both courses in terms of quality and standard if course/layout.

Well unless you are affiliated to a certain golf magazine.

I like parts of each course but would suggest that the Dunes is slightly stronger overall. You'll also always get a far greater and warmer welcome at Machrihanish Dunes.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Heading there at the end of the Month. Playing Mach old (not played here), Mach Dunes (very good) then Dunaverty. You'll love Dunaverty. Yes the quality isn't the same as the dunes but it has to be my favourite golf course ever. So much fun.

We're staying in Campbeltown at Craigard House. Stayed there before. It's not the Ritz but it does us. They were very helpful the last time we stayed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played there in the 90’s when doing some work and based over in Benbecula - played two courses - enjoyed them from what I can recall.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Heading there at the end of the Month. Playing Mach old (not played here), Mach Dunes (very good) then Dunaverty. You'll love Dunaverty. Yes the quality isn't the same as the dunes but it has to be my favourite golf course ever. So much fun.

We're staying in Campbeltown at Craigard House. Stayed there before. It's not the Ritz but it does us. They were very helpful the last time we stayed.

Dunaverty was in top condition last month, greens were excellent and yes Dunaverty is just fun. Wonderful wee golf course.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Dunaverty was in top condition last month, greens were excellent and yes Dunaverty is just fun. Wonderful wee golf course.

Last time we were there one of the boys just missed a cow on the first fairway. We keiched our breeks as it nearly caused a stampede.

Got good reports on the condition from last week as well. The setting is just different class.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very little difference between both courses in terms of quality and standard if course/layout.

I like parts of each course but would suggest that the Dunes is slightly stronger overall. You'll also always get a far greater and warmer welcome at Machrihanish Dunes.

Why not apply to join the course review panel then you can submit what you think is a fair review?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The Dunes is certainly a more consistent golf challenge but I'd say that Machrihanish has the stronger holes but also the weaker holes (if that makes sense), the finishing 2 holes are pretty poor as is the opening 2 holes although the opening tee shot on Mach is a bit special.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Dunes is certainly a more consistent golf challenge but I'd say that Machrihanish has the stronger holes but also the weaker holes (if that makes sense), the finishing 2 holes are pretty poor as is the opening 2 holes although the opening tee shot on Mach is a bit special.

If I was going back I’d be keen to play both again but suspect I’d be more excited about the dunes.