Lost Confidence!!

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys I'm just after a bit of advice really. I have lost all confidence with my putter and don't know why. I went through a period of about 2 months where I was very confident with it and was holing everything or at most 2 putting. I don't know what happened but now I have no confidence whatsoever and 3 putt quite regularly and even 4 putted yesterday.

I am thinking of changing from my Odyssey White Hot XG #1 to a more mallet style putter. I have tried my friends Taylormade Raylor Ghost Fontana and found this to feel very ncie and provide an excellent roll and is also on offer in AG at the moment for £79.99.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong to buy a new short stick or do you think it might help?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It 'might' help, but then again it might not.

I started to putt relatively poorly a couple of months ago, then one day I picked up my putter and 'pretend' putted in front of a mirror and noticed my first move away from the ball was with my wrists.

Sorted that out and putting well again now.

What I'm trying to say is, it's possible that a bad habit has crept in without you knowing. This is why the pro's practice even the most basic of things, even (especially) when they're so good at them.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a bit catch 22 but your lack of confidence will lead to anxiety and tension when putting and that won't ever be helpful. If you feel a new putter would alleviate that and get you back on track then why not go for it. In the big scheme of cost of clubs it's not so bad and you could probably make a decent bit of the outlay back if you sold your current putter?

I have been trying a new technique called not trying and it works for me! Take a really wide perspective of the green between my ball and the hole. I no longer crouch down and verbalise in my head what's required and pick a clear target for my ball to start along. I stand behind calmly gazing at the green and hole and let my eyes get the information and my brain compute the solution. Then I stand over my putt and take a last look at the hole and bring my eyes back to my ball along the green and hit it. My distance control is way better and most of the time my alignment is too.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
when was the last time you had a full lesson from the pro on the putting green?

To be honest it was quite some time ago, so as already mentioned it may be that I have let some bad habits in without realising. It just seems odd that I can go from being very confident with the short stick only 5-6 weeks ago to no confidence now.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find if the putting is going bad then it is normally something really stupid in the swing. Maybe the ball is not in the best position, too far back in your stance will make you hit down on it and too far forward will make you hit it on the up. My weakness is taht sometimes my ball position can sneak forward, which makes me catch it on the up making me sort of scuff the ball.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Confidence is a funny thing - it takes ages to attain but can disappear in one swing of a club.

I think that buying your way out of trouble is just a quick fix - you'll feel more confidence with the new stick initially but you know full well that the club hasn't changes over the last 10 weeks while your putting has. That means it can't be the stick, it's you.

Now, if you want a quick fix then flash the cash, if you want a real fix get practising, see a pro for a lesson and work on the drills.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If only I could apply the confidence and optimism I have in every day life to the golf course!

I can play well for weeks and then a bad round starts the doubt and questioning.

Darned game!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest it was quite some time ago, so as already mentioned it may be that I have let some bad habits in without realising. It just seems odd that I can go from being very confident with the short stick only 5-6 weeks ago to no confidence now.

it's not just the bad habits, it will actually give you a basis for confidence.

I know a lot of people who putt pretty well most of the time, but when it goes it crashes - as highlighted in an earlier post on this thread; it's a classic negative feedback loop that can end with an inability to even hit the putt at all in extreme cases!

A good pro will both build up the competence and provide you with some confidence boosters.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you miss a two foot putt on the first bang goes the confidence. If you hole a ten footer on the first confidence is high. It's all in the mind. We must all remember those occasional runs when the hole is two feet wide and you just know that you cannot miss. If only.