Looking for new driver

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Currently using a PING Rapture V2. Trying to get back in the game after 10y. SO MANY driver options and tech out there that it is overwhelming.

I'm a fader/slicer using Diamante X Flex for my shaft - standard length.
Hit my drives about 260 (carry).
I don't mind losing 10yards for straighter drives - so a more forgiving driver is prefered.
I stand 5'8", athletic.

1) With the Taylor Made M1/M2, will the adjustable weight correct my fade/slice?
2) I don't really know how the Rapture V2 will compare to the newer drivers - can anyone share their experience?
3) I don't even know if the V2 is forgiving or is the right club for me - 10y ago, i just bought it because it looked great.
4) Mizuno and Callaway also seem like good choices.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgiveness wise, it's hard to beat the Ping G400.

The G400 has a draw bias version (SF Tec) so worth a look at that if you're looking for help with a left to right shot, but at the end of the day, a slice will still be a slice no matter what driver you use or what weights it has.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks ger147.

Do those weight things really make a difference? I agree that a slice will still be a slice - but do those weights they put on drivers now really matter? I don't have the tech expertise (or experience) to form a conclusion.

Do draw bias clubs look specifically different? For some reason, I have a hard time hitting my driver if the head looks "off" in relation to the ball.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's probably not what you want to hear but no driver will be a magic fix for a slice, your swing massively overrides anything a club can do to help. There are more forgiving options now available but nothing serious, the Rapture is not far behind the modern drivers. Get a fitting if you can, you don't have to buy there and then, cheapest way to find out if anything will suit your game better and be sure to take your current club to compare.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks Tiger Man. Looking for any advantage that will help.

I usually aim left edge of the fairway and end up middle or right. A slice will leave me in the rough.

So since im upgrading drivers, i might as well get one that has a design that will offset (a bit) my slice/fade.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks ger147.

Do those weight things really make a difference? I agree that a slice will still be a slice - but do those weights they put on drivers now really matter? I don't have the tech expertise (or experience) to form a conclusion.

From what I recall all the sliding weights do is change how the club turns over, in theory anyway.
Weight at the heel means the toe turns over earlier as it's lighter (will promote a shot more to the left as face angle could be more closed at impact), weight at the toe has the opposite effect.
Think that's how it works anyway :D
A slice is a slice unfortunately, when driver adverts say "more forgiving" it generally means you don't lose as much distance on off centre hits.
For what it's worth, M2 get my vote all day long.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
M2 doesnt have that weight.

From experience with SLDR (which does) the simple answer is that it does in the shorter term - because it influences how you bring the surface through at impact.

Better to resolve the underlying issues though.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want to stay with Ping, have a look at Rick Shiels Ping driver comparison video where he compares the 2011-2017 drivers. Might save you a few £££

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Tiger Man. Looking for any advantage that will help.

I usually aim left edge of the fairway and end up middle or right. A slice will leave me in the rough.

So since im upgrading drivers, i might as well get one that has a design that will offset (a bit) my slice/fade.

A 7 handicapper friend told me one when I used to do this

"Your better off just aiming straight and thinking about it more"

almost if you aim left your going to try to hit a slice or you will go left

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, stick with your current driver. Then, put aside whatever money you were planning on spending on a new driver and use it to pay for lessons with a pro instead.

I guarantee you will be in a better place if you follow this course of action instead.

D

Deleted member 16999

Mate, get yourself along to a local American Golf and tell them you want to try different drivers as you're looking to buy, try as many as you fancy all makes and models, even those in the second hand area if there are any you like, and see what feels good or you don't like etc, say thanks walk out and search your local Pro shops or ebay for the one you like at the right price.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends if you want new or second hand. New G400 or second hand I'd go Ping G25. Plenty of good bargains and check out Rick Shiels on youtube as he's been comparing models from the last five years, so all of the TM in that time, all of the Ping etc, so you'll get a good idea what has stood the test of time

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would stick with what you have TBH a mate of mine had the V2 best results from a driver he had. got rid with the promise of new equipment... but gone back to the same driver

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I could find the fairway 260 out I wouldnt tinker too much. No forgiving driver will fix a slice nor reduce it much. When people talk of forgiving drivers I think more of distance loss on off centre strikes, not fixing slices/hooks etc. No driver will help much in this. If your persistent in trying out the most forgiving driver then the Ping G range is going to be hard to beat. G25/G30 etc