Looking For Dirt Cheap Super-Forgiving Ladies Clubs!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As you may have seen from my other posts, my wife has taken up the game, is currently using my mum's clubs which are 15-20 years old. I want to see if she'd get on better with something more modern and forgiving (circa 5 years old say) but she has instructed me in no uncertain terms not to waste money on her!

So I was wondering if anyone has any really forgiving ladies clubs they're wanting to get rid of. Whether it be a set of irons, or just one iron knocking about that she can try on the driving range, or a nice modern driver, anything really. (Except putter, don't need that.) If it's a ladies club that's easy to hit and you don't want much for it, there's a good chance I'll take it off your hands. :p

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
As you may have seen from my other posts, my wife has taken up the game, is currently using my mum's clubs which are 15-20 years old. I want to see if she'd get on better with something more modern and forgiving (circa 5 years old say) but she has instructed me in no uncertain terms not to waste money on her!

So I was wondering if anyone has any really forgiving ladies clubs they're wanting to get rid of. Whether it be a set of irons, or just one iron knocking about that she can try on the driving range, or a nice modern driver, anything really. (Except putter, don't need that.) If it's a ladies club that's easy to hit and you don't want much for it, there's a good chance I'll take it off your hands. :p
How long have you been married, spending money on your wife is never a waste its an investment. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How long have you been married, spending money on your wife is never a waste its an investment. ?
Not in this case, she made it clear there are plenty of other things she'd rather money was spent on before golf clubs.

@SaintStu has been very kind in sending me a ladies 7 iron he had lying around, so she'll get the chance to try that out and see if it makes a different before we invest any money in a new set. So big thanks to SaintStu for that. ???

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Super-forgiving clubs are no good for an early beginner. The way to learn consistently good ball striking is to play with blades for your first year or so.
These are in great condition and collect-in-person is possible for you I think.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384481923920?hash=item5984e89350:g:WuAAAOSw2yJhgzAS
Bit of a ferule issue with the wedges - not sure what the problem is - could be easily fixed.
Move on to cavities after the good swing and ball-striking have been established.
You could probably sell these at a profit later on - not so with cheap cavities.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Super-forgiving clubs are no good for an early beginner. The way to learn consistently good ball striking is to play with blades for your first year or so.
Bit of a ferule issue with the wedges - not sure what the problem is - could be easily fixed.
Move on to cavities after the good swing and ball-striking have been established.
You could probably sell these at a profit later on - not so with cheap cavities.
Just what a beginner would want heading into winter! She'll not feel her hands after 2 rounds! ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not often you hear super really forgiving and woman in the same sentence :whistle::p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Err thanks but no thanks on that one. Don't want her to give up the game altogether.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m sure there’s a set of Mizuno JPX800s with Lite (ladies) flex Exsar shafts in my attic.
Might not fit your bill though as >5 years old.

You might struggle with the conditions of dirt cheap AND <5 years old.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Its a great myth that blades are "instantly" and "inherently" difficult to play with and that only a skilled golfer should play with them.
Far greater and swifter improvements can be made by playing with blades for the early beginner.
In terms of getting the club to the ball correctly and playing a decent shot - there is no significant difference for the early beginner.
Well made and well designed blades are far, far better than cheap cavities for an early beginner to take up the game.

I find hybrids are the most difficult clubs to master. A well struck long iron - I'm fairly sure how that will fly and where I hope it to land. But the trajectory, landing place and stopping/running of a hybrid seems less predictable to me. This should not be an issue for an early beginner however and I recommend a couple of hybrids in the bag for your missus.

And blades are simply better looking.

jpx.jpg ls.jpg

I play all my handicap qualifying games with Ping G10 3 and 4 iron and Ping i10 5-PW. But I like playing with blades occasionally, because doing so lets me know whether I'm swinging and striking the ball well/correctly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a great myth that blades are "instantly" and "inherently" difficult to play with and that only a skilled golfer should play with them.
Far greater and swifter improvements can be made by playing with blades for the early beginner.
In terms of getting the club to the ball correctly and playing a decent shot - there is no significant difference for the early beginner.
Well made and well designed blades are far, far better than cheap cavities for an early beginner to take up the game.

I find hybrids are the most difficult clubs to master. A well struck long iron - I'm fairly sure how that will fly and where I hope it to land. But the trajectory, landing place and stopping/running of a hybrid seems less predictable to me. This should not be an issue for an early beginner however and I recommend a couple of hybrids in the bag for your missus.

And blades are simply better looking.

View attachment 39449View attachment 39450

I play all my handicap qualifying games with Ping G10 3 and 4 iron and Ping i10 5-PW. But I like playing with blades occasionally, because doing so lets me know whether I'm swinging and striking the ball well/correctly.
You are wasting your breath, and you're also wrong. ? My wife has already tried the TaylorMade RBZ 7 iron that SaintStu kindly sent us, and she immediately found it easier to hit, and thus enjoyed it a lot more, which is all that matters. And I don't even agree that blades universally look nicer, from your pictures I much prefer the modern look of those Mizunos. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Thanks for your input all the same though (genuinely). ??

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Thank you.
I hope you will find what you are looking for.
It is good to have differing views.
Afterall, you and I won't be the only ones reading this and others might find both views useful and/or interesting.

My nextdoor neighbour has given me (not loaned) an RBZ driver. I'll be giving it a go soon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you.
I hope you will find what you are looking for.
It is good to have differing views.
Afterall, you and I won't be the only ones reading this and others might find both views useful and/or interesting.

My nextdoor neighbour has given me (not loaned) an RBZ driver. I'll be giving it a go soon.
Exactly, it's just different schools of thought. I see your points about improving with thinner irons, but in my wife's case I'm sure she has no ambitions of becoming a great golfer, it's just about having fun and spending time together, so she'd be happiest with the most forgiving clubs.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
MacGregor DCT range for women isnt a bad start, bag and about 10-11 clubs including putter etc for sub £400 new, I'm sure some will surface on ebay etc used. I got my youngest girl a set as she is 5ft9" and only 13, as shes only getting into golf really its impressive how well she hits the driver with a half swing and lots of swaying yet.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres a set of ladies clubs in my garage not going a great deal,MD Golf with purple or pink ( I cant remember) graphite shafts irons, driver and hybrids . I can ask the wife if youre interested.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Theres a set of ladies clubs in my garage not going a great deal,MD Golf with purple or pink ( I cant remember) graphite shafts irons, driver and hybrids . I can ask the wife if youre interested.
Thanks for your response! But I think we would be more likely to take GreiginFife's offer of the Mizunos first, if anything, as I'm more familiar with the brand and model.