longest ever par 3

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What about for the average club golfers like us. I know the 12th at Wimbledon Common is 245 yards off the white (maximum length I believe) but are there any longer in play and if so what is the limit for a par 3.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is no set distance....consider the 286 Yd Par 3 8th at Oakmont for the US Open in 07 it really up to the course designer although they do usually tend to keep them under 240.

The 16th at Carnoustie is a toughie. I understand that during the Open there one year, Jack Nicklaus hit a Driver and 7 iron into the wind to get home..... :D :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Smiffy

I realise that in the pro game there are (virtually) no limits these days but I thought that for club golf there was a limit of 245 yards for par 3's and 475 yards for par 4's. I know those figures do go back a long way but thought it was to do with how SSS/CSS and the par of the course was calculated

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Biggest par 3 on my course is 210 yards..

Ours is 213yds from the back tees (16th SI 11), usually playing into the wind. Good knock with a 4 hyrbid usually gets me there (it's downhill but with a bloody big crossbunker about 30 yards short)...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is bugging me now. I'm sure there was/is a recommended limit (club golf obviously) where a par 4 became a par for members and a 3 into a 4. I'm sure it was 245 although 250 as freddielong suggest, is a better arbitrary figure for 3's and 475 for the end of par 4's/ There must be someone who knows how these things are cobbled together for calculating CSS/SSS and stuff. Maybe I'm wrong (again) and there isn't a limit at all although asking some of the seniors to hit 250+ par 3's would seem unworkable.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 16th at Carnoustie is 249 from the Hogan tees, protected by 5 bunkers.
When there's an easterly wind, which is most of the time, it's driver time.
In '75, Nicklaus was the only player in the Open to get it past the pin (with his driver).
Watson has never parred it(and he's won the Open here) and I remember Paul Casey saying that he's never been on the green in regulation.

hole16sslarge.jpg

It's not the longest though. Didn't Oakmont have a 290yd par 3?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I am sure the one at Oakmount played over 300yrds on the 2nd or 3rd day and on tour they play par 4's over 500yrds all the time. Which is why I am sure there is no rule that states a hole this lengh must be this par, but I am sure there are guideline lenghs of, 250 par 3, 475 par 4, 475+ par 5 or something similar.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I accept in the pro game the distances can be much longer but I'm sure there is something to restrict the length for club golfers. For example when does a ladies par 4 become a par 5 as it would unreasonable to expect most lady members to hit something 500 yards away in two