LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Why have a go at antipodean players ? they seem to punch above their weight when you look at population in all sports.

Now we are finally getting some of them back playing here, which can ONLY GROW THE GAME :ROFLMAO:

Haven’t Australia had multiple golf events each year that all these Aussie golfers and indeed any top golfer can play ? Why didn’t those Aussie players play in those events ?

Why are they now playing in this event in Adelaide when they couldn’t be bothered to play in the Aus Open or Aus PGA ?

I wonder if it’s because of the millions being given to them ?

And what happened to the events being at one of the top courses in Aus ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven’t Australia had multiple golf events each year that all these Aussie golfers and indeed any top golfer can play ? Why didn’t those Aussie players play in those events ?

Why are they now playing in this event in Adelaide when they couldn’t be bothered to play in the Aus Open or Aus PGA ?

Top Aussies stopped playing in Aus since the wraparound PGAT schedule came in.

And.
Sporting truism : EVERY country believes it punches above its weight in sports.

AussieKB

Visit site

No it was because the PGAT started a wrap around season, so everyone stayed in States to earn points, they have now gone back to the old system of having an off season, maybe due to LIV, and if they asked for a release to play in their Home Open then there was a price to pay.....is that how you grow the game ?

(The Grange) The host site for the South Australian Open and multiple PGA Tour of Australasia events, the Club has also welcomed marquee amateur tournaments including the Australian Amateur and Interstate Team Series, as well as women’s amateur events. Most recently, the Club hosted the 2019 and 2016 Women’s Australian Open, boasting record crowds and receiving tremendous fan feedback.

And is where Greg won his first Pro tournament, the Victorian Government turned down the opportunity to host a LIV event, siding with the PGAT, due to Presidents Cup being played there I assume.

The SA Government have a 4 year deal which they are very happy with, I am trying to organize a trip there, only 1700 miles from where I live, not sure when we had such a great field here in OZ.

D

Deleted member 15344

No it was because the PGAT started a wrap around season, so everyone stayed in States to earn points, they have now gone back to the old system of having an off season, maybe due to LIV, and if they asked for a release to play in their Home Open then there was a price to pay.....is that how you grow the game ?

(The Grange) The host site for the South Australian Open and multiple PGA Tour of Australasia events, the Club has also welcomed marquee amateur tournaments including the Australian Amateur and Interstate Team Series, as well as women’s amateur events. Most recently, the Club hosted the 2019 and 2016 Women’s Australian Open, boasting record crowds and receiving tremendous fan feedback.

And is where Greg won his first Pro tournament, the Victorian Government turned down the opportunity to host a LIV event, siding with the PGAT, due to Presidents Cup being played there I assume.

The SA Government have a 4 year deal which they are very happy with, I am trying to organize a trip there, only 1700 miles from where I live, not sure when we had such a great field here in OZ.

They weren’t forced to stay and play in a “wrap around season”

There was nothing stopping the Aussie players from grabbing a flight home and playing in their home events -

They would have earned points playing in the Aus Events

Let’s all be honest - they are only going there now because of money and they are contracted too - got nothing to do with “growing the game” - the players including Smith and Greg Norman don’t care about growing the game in Aus , if they did then they would have played there during the Aus Open and Aus PGA

Also looking at the LIV events for next year - they don’t seem to be global ?! If anything the European Tour is more global now

In fact the ET has “two” events in Australia next season- maybe Cam Smith and Co should be playing those events - oops sorry not enough money of course ?‍♂️

AussieKB

Visit site
They weren’t forced to stay and play in a “wrap around season”

There was nothing stopping the Aussie players from grabbing a flight home and playing in their home events -

They would have earned points playing in the Aus Events

Let’s all be honest - they are only going there now because of money and they are contracted too - got nothing to do with “growing the game” - the players including Smith and Greg Norman don’t care about growing the game in Aus , if they did then they would have played there during the Aus Open and Aus PGA

Also looking at the LIV events for next year - they don’t seem to be global ?! If anything the European Tour is more global now

In fact the ET has “two” events in Australia next season- maybe Cam Smith and Co should be playing those events - oops sorry not enough money of course ?‍♂️
Learn what the wrap around season is or was......it also killed a lot of other tours.

I thought the ET tour did not want LIV golfers ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Learn what the wrap around season is or was......it also killed a lot of other tours.

I thought the ET tour did not want LIV golfers ?

I know what the wrap around season was

But no Aussie golfer was “forced” to play in those events instead of events in Australia - they made the choice and they made the choice based on money. And that’s the only reason they are going to Aus now - money

Smith and Co can resign their LIV membership , become ET members and play on a true global tour and also play two events in Aus

Swango1980

Visit site

In all seriousness, what is so special about Australia? Not being disrespectful, I am sure it is special to Australians. But, it is just another country, population about 25 million. There are plenty of other countries, with much bigger populations, that may also love to have big golf events locally. Maybe they feel they equally deserve this, if not more so given their populations are so much bigger.

What really was stopping top Australian golfers from playing in Oz? I could understand if the events were played at same time as the Majors or the other biggest evens on the PGA or DP World Tour. However, if not, surely the top Australian golfers could have shown some loyalty to their nation, and played in Oz on whatever week they needed to? I'm not sure the PGAT prohibited them from doing so? Outside Australians, then I'm not sure what the incentive would be for other top golfers to play in Australia? Unless they were given a pay packet to do so, or they were generally interested in travelling the world, and going to another English speaking developed nation seemed like a decent option available to them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
PGA Tour players could have played there if they wanted. Someone in Australia could have organised and funded a tournament at a time when PGA Tour players could have been tempted to go.

No one did. Why? Even the Aussie players didn’t seem that bothered.

LiV players will travel there why? Because they have to.

I’m sure the event will be a raging success and open the floodgates to other tours rushing to hold events there, and golf in Australia will boom.

AussieKB

Visit site
I know what the wrap around season was

But no Aussie golfer was “forced” to play in those events instead of events in Australia - they made the choice and they made the choice based on money. And that’s the only reason they are going to Aus now - money

Smith and Co can resign their LIV membership , become ET members and play on a true global tour and also play two events in Aus
Sounds great join the ET feeder tour and go back to the PGAT if they finish in the top ten :ROFLMAO:

AussieKB

Visit site
In all seriousness, what is so special about Australia? Not being disrespectful, I am sure it is special to Australians. But, it is just another country, population about 25 million. There are plenty of other countries, with much bigger populations, that may also love to have big golf events locally. Maybe they feel they equally deserve this, if not more so given their populations are so much bigger.

What really was stopping top Australian golfers from playing in Oz? I could understand if the events were played at same time as the Majors or the other biggest evens on the PGA or DP World Tour. However, if not, surely the top Australian golfers could have shown some loyalty to their nation, and played in Oz on whatever week they needed to? I'm not sure the PGAT prohibited them from doing so? Outside Australians, then I'm not sure what the incentive would be for other top golfers to play in Australia? Unless they were given a pay packet to do so, or they were generally interested in travelling the world, and going to another English speaking developed nation seemed like a decent option available to them.
Maybe those non Aussies could have thought about growing the Game....and yes players have to ask the PGAT for a release even to play in your national OPEN, and there were consequences.

AussieKB

Visit site
PGA Tour players could have played there if they wanted. Someone in Australia could have organised and funded a tournament at a time when PGA Tour players could have been tempted to go.

No one did. Why? Even the Aussie players didn’t seem that bothered.

LiV players will travel there why? Because they have to.

I’m sure the event will be a raging success and open the floodgates to other tours rushing to hold events there, and golf in Australia will boom.
you are missing the point, the PGAT created the wrap around tour which the now have abandoned, due to LIV in my opinion, before that we had US and Euro players turning up, but if you cannot get World Players then it is very hard to get sponsors.

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe those non Aussies could have thought about growing the Game....and yes players have to ask the PGAT for a release even to play in your national OPEN, and there were consequences.
I know they had to ask, but what were the consequences? Surely the PGAT would have happily said yes to Cameron Smith if he asked to play in the Oz Open. What would have been the negative implications to him? Would they have told him he could only play with 10 clubs in the next 10 PGAT events or something? Would they fine him?

If I was a professional golfer, what motivation would I have to go to Australia to play golf? I'm a golfer, it is not up to me as an individual to "grow the game". It is up to the administrators of golf to do that. As far as I am concerned, I'd be thinking golf was in a pretty healthy position, given the prize money available to be. Clearly it is attracting big money from sponsors and broadcasters. So, I wouldn't be having this desperate urge to "grow the game", a phrase I never remember hearing until LIV came about. Suddenly it has become the most important thing in the world to some.

And, even if it were true, why does "growing the game" mean playing in Australia? Why do I care about that? What about France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Poland, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, New Zealand, etc. etc. That goes to my original comment, what is so special about Australia? I'd argue nothing, so I can only see Australian golfers having an interest, or those offered a lot of money. And, as a professional golfer, I probably don't want to be jet setting all over the world simply to "grow the game". I'd probably be more interested in minimising travel as much as I could, spending enough time at home and practicing, and being very selective in choosing events worldwide.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
you are missing the point, the PGAT created the wrap around tour which the now have abandoned, due to LIV in my opinion, before that we had US and Euro players turning up, but if you cannot get World Players then it is very hard to get sponsors.

I’m not missing the point. If someone put on a decent event opposite a weaker PGA event the players would go if they were that bothered. They aren’t.

I’m sure Cam Smith and the other Aussies (probably all the LiV players as they will have to) will all say how great it is to be playing back on home soil/in Australia. But do they really care? Seems they were perfectly happy on their fishing boats in Florida.

It’s not even like they would have to travel cattle class. They would all be on private jets so travel isn’t even an excuse.

No one puts big events on there because there just isn’t the interest.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know they had to ask, but what were the consequences? Surely the PGAT would have happily said yes to Cameron Smith if he asked to play in the Oz Open. What would have been the negative implications to him? Would they have told him he could only play with 10 clubs in the next 10 PGAT events or something? Would they fine him?

If I was a professional golfer, what motivation would I have to go to Australia to play golf? I'm a golfer, it is not up to me as an individual to "grow the game". It is up to the administrators of golf to do that. As far as I am concerned, I'd be thinking golf was in a pretty healthy position, given the prize money available to be. Clearly it is attracting big money from sponsors and broadcasters. So, I wouldn't be having this desperate urge to "grow the game", a phrase I never remember hearing until LIV came about. Suddenly it has become the most important thing in the world to some.

And, even if it were true, why does "growing the game" mean playing in Australia? Why do I care about that? What about France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Poland, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, New Zealand, etc. etc. That goes to my original comment, what is so special about Australia? I'd argue nothing, so I can only see Australian golfers having an interest, or those offered a lot of money. And, as a professional golfer, I probably don't want to be jet setting all over the world simply to "grow the game". I'd probably be more interested in minimising travel as much as I could, spending enough time at home and practicing, and being very selective in choosing events worldwide.

14 tournament league next year (leaving you 38 free weeks) - huge prize funds and Ill throw in a 20m signing bonus. Interested?

Ian_George

Visit site
Please explain your reasoning - apart from timing! Surely, you are not considering that a 'victory' for LIV! Do you consider the change from wrap around to pure calendar schedule a good thing? It certainly means Golf tournaments can be arranged in Southern Hemisphere in more reliable weather, though Summer might not be the optimum time for some parts of Oz! Remember, the PGAT is US-centric, as that's where by far the greatest audience (primary driver) and source of top level players is!

Ian_George

Visit site

Most of us would be happy to ignore it but the level of evangelism that its disciples bombard us with means it's very difficult to. If you want to look for a reason why people hate it rather than ignore it, it's because it's being shoved down your throat like it's the second coming, when the truth is it's nearer to golf's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. I've nothing against the Harlem Globetrotters, it's great light-hearted entertainment but serious sport it ain't.
That was certainly my attitude to the last 2 or 3 individual events! The Team Final event was interesting as 'something new', even though the Team part of other events was, for me, just unwanted noise and a turnoff.
I haven't seen a reference to Harlem Globetrotters for several decades! I used to enjoy their antics in their shows, but agree - not proper matches! I saw on Wiki that, under their n-th ownership regime, they recently applied to become a proper team!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want to look for a reason why people hate it rather than ignore it, it's because it's being shoved down your throat like it's the second coming

I’m struggling with this as I genuinely struggle to find any real news about LIV.
The BBC don’t really report on it nor do Sky unless it’s some negatively biased report. Are you talking about Twitter? I don’t go on Twitter so maybe that’s why I don’t see it.
Are you talking about golf websites or magazines? Well it is a golf related topic so I’d expect a lot of discussion about it in those media types as it’s probably the biggest golf story since Tiger won the Masters.
It’s easy to avoid LIV news if you really wanted to ?