LIV Golf

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
They've mentioned money plenty of times in previous rounds, and taken criticism for it. LIV have repeatedly said they'll refine the product until they get it right, and I guess now they feel there's no need to drive home the prize money aspect .

So maybe the whole concept isn't about money and gloating about it?

That aspect is not part of the press lead agenda to belittle and criticise LIV at every opportunity.

There is plenty of room for all to coexist and benefit from each other. Work together, grow together.

D

Deleted member 15344

Always going to be tough to work together with the way LIV went about things from the start - getting players to poach others to join

It’s gone way to far now and LiV will have their events and their players , all the other tours will have theirs and anyone who has an exemption will play in the majors

LIV made two big mistakes

Appointing Greg Norman who had motives beyond growing a game or creating a tour

And two aligning with Trump

How long it lasts will be up to how long Saudi want to keep feeding it with money.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just meant the whole thing is all about the money, which is why I haven't bothered with it, but then they didn't mention it as though it was a vulgar subject. I am quite intrigued as to how much someone was paid after playing nine holes in 52 shots

Got to say Mark, you are a golf editor of one of the UK's biggest golf magazines and you haven't 'bothered' with it.
Surely you need to take a view from both sides of the argument and put them across rather than your own personal opinion, People are wanting to read both sides of the argument?
Is that what you put in the magazine, I never bothered doing my research as its a vulgar subject.
I've got to say you should be disappointed in yourself as a journalist with the above statement.
I'd also be surprised if your Boss was happy with this as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Which post from which poster was a ‘bitter and disgusting post’?

I guessed that @JamesR was making a joke - is that to what you are referring?

Wouldn’t worry - it’s standard craw

He has always been very critical of a number of English golfers whilst blowing smoke up the odd Scottish golfer who maybe good enough to play on the tour - nowt wrong with the national pride but point it out even in jest to him and he shouts out racism - most just ignore it as opposed to pandering to his nonsense

D

Deleted member 21445

Always going to be tough to work together with the way LIV went about things from the start - getting players to poach others to join

It’s gone way to far now and LiV will have their events and their players , all the other tours will have theirs and anyone who has an exemption will play in the majors

LIV made two big mistakes

Appointing Greg Norman who had motives beyond growing a game or creating a tour

And two aligning with Trump

How long it lasts will be up to how long Saudi want to keep feeding it with money.

Do you honestly think either of those 2 things make any difference to players who are going to be offered the chance to switch for the $$$ ??

Truth is It's impossible to predict what's going to happen in the next 12 months.

This time next year Liv could have a big streaming TV contract, franchised sold teams, event sponsorship and all of a sudden its wiping its nose or making a profit, then the PIF ain't going anywhere.
Thats not fantasy, it could easily happen.

PGAT will have its own liv style multi event no cut money making events which could stop the stream of players leaving and put the brakes on Livs momentum
That could also happen..

Who knows but that Netflix Doc is going to be freaking amazing with behind the scenes footage while all this has been going on.
Hope John Rahm is signed up for that, got a feeling he isn't totally on the same page as Rory and Tiger.
Grab your popcorn for that series.

evemccc

Visit site

He has always been very critical of a number of English golfers whilst blowing smoke up the odd Scottish golfer who maybe good enough to play on the tour - nowt wrong with the national pride but point it out even in jest to him and he shouts out racism - most just ignore it as opposed to pandering to his nonsense

?
It’s an overused phrase but it’s so true…
‘Life is too bleeping short’ to deal with nonsense like that. Especially on the internet

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Has there ever been this much excitement around golf at this time of year when the RC isn't on?

How can anybody not be engaged in this - the golf world tilted off axis - billions more investment coming into the game, stories, heroes and villains.

Wentworth should be a great watch this weekend and we've still got 4 LIV events to come in the next 8 weeks - although I think Boston has set the bar high, and they're will definitley be a different vibe in Thailand and Jeddah. The final round in Florida could and should be pretty good though.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I confess, I have not read every post on this subject (323 pages and rising), so I apologise if this subject has already been covered.
What happens to an LIV player who goes off the boil, and there is another (up and coming or otherwise) player who is willing to join LIV?
Can that "off the boil" player return to the PGA, the DP, or the Asia Tour, or is he banned for life?

What happens to the unwanted 20/30/40 players who initially signed, but can’t play in the LIV event because LIV have now signed “better” players? Do they all just go back en masse & turn up to play on the European Tour? Will they get an “amnesty” if they then say sorry & sign a new contract with the European Tour? I don’t have the patience & time to check through 325 pages of posts either!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What happens to the unwanted 20/30/40 players who initially signed, but can’t play in the LIV event because LIV have now signed “better” players? Do they all just go back en masse & turn up to play on the European Tour? Will they get an “amnesty” if they then say sorry & sign a new contract with the European Tour? I don’t have the patience & time to check through 325 pages of posts either!

I could tell you but I can't be bothered...;-)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has there ever been this much excitement around golf at this time of year when the RC isn't on?
There probably has, given that there is little or no excitement. Controversy maybe. A dogfight between two businesses maybe. But I dont think there is any excitement around golf itself. (apart from a 79 I had last weekend, best in a long while. Quite excited about it actually).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, into the pockets of a handful of multimillionaires. Not into 'the game' as such.

Where would it go on any of the other tours, or any top level sport for that matter?

Hasn't Bryson already invested millions back into his business ventures which include grass roots developments?

D

Deleted member 15344

Where would it go on any of the other tours, or any top level sport for that matter?

Hasn't Bryson already invested millions back into his business ventures which include grass roots developments?

The level of “billions” going into pockets is vastly different in a number of ways from the LIV tour - not sure giving golfers £200mil just to play golf when they are already very rich is something that should be seen as a positive right now

And I believe the PGAT donate a significant amount to charity each year ( over £3bn in total )

Liv money is mainly going into the pockets - LIV donate around £1mil to local charities

But it’s not news that it’s the players benefitting from LIV

evemccc

Visit site
Shout out to Niblicks GC!! So far they’re the worst team in LIV Golf.
But they have the coolest name and logo

These things matter ??

In all seriousness, Niblicks, Punch, HyFlyers, Ironheads, 4Aces and Crushers have quite cool logos…

The others though, look like they’ve been done by a 4 yr old

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Oh the irony.

Mike Mike, Mike.

You forget how long I've been around here and I have a very good memory. And for the record I don't appreciate casual racism nor see why my nationality was brought into it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its a tiny part of this but I'm wondering what the LIV players will do regards the ET 'request' for them not to wear LIV logo on their clothing for the BMW

Have they ever done this kind of thing before?
(I mean there was a fella playing The Open with major league baseball sponsored clothing and iirc another player with huge PGAT lettering all over his shirt)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Respect is determined by the quality of the field. The quality of the field is determined by the number of world top 30 golfers teeing up. The World Tour will have respect according to the number of top players like Fitzpatrick that play. Thats why the Euro tour was respected in the haydays of Monte, Seve, Faldo, Lyle, Olazabal etc. But isnt now. The same as the Saudi tour isnt respected now, but could be if it twists another half dozen top 30s to defect. If it doesnt achieve that it will remain unrespected.

Last edited: