LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

surprised we havent heard much fallout from the sponsors of the players. If you are Nike, for example, and you are paying a huge amount for a player to wear your clothes and shoes because they are on major tv networks every week around the world, are there not contractual implications if the player decides to move to a competition that doesnt even have a tv deal yet?

I think a number of the players have lost some level of sponsership deals - RBC has dropped all the players that went to LIV

Also Mickleson seems to have no more sponsership and using his own label

I’m guessing a lot of it we won’t know about

It will prob also be hard for companies to just drop them

Last edited by a moderator:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Read a couple of articles on Monahan's announcements on PGA Tour changes, and the (reader) comments on them. A lot of the comments seemed to be from our friends from the USA. Was a bit surprised with the amount sentiment that he'd made a mistake, or somehow justified comments from people like Phil.

I had some time for the kind of comments that came from Rahm - whilst the change details aren't completely clear it does maybe feel like the water is becoming muddier.

What's that saying - "we have the politicians we deserve", maybe we are having the pro golfers, or golf competition landscape that we deserve!
Hopefully n years from now people can look back at this turbulent time from a better place.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think a number of the players have lost some level of sponsership deals - RBC has dropped all the players that went to LIV
I think some of that was more to do with the timing of when they switched - just before a tournament that RBC were headline sponsors for! But they (RBS) are certainly 'committed' to/'invested in' The PGA Tour.
Loss of sponsorship was actually expected and part of the 'sign on bonus' was to cover such losses.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Got any actual evidence of that?
And I'm certain the Non-profit status of the overall organisation would have been fully examined, and approved, by IRS!

2017 - 3.91 million dollars
2018 - 4.37 million dollars
2019 - 5.38 million dollars

We know in 2020 he waived about 1.5 million as the tour was effectively shutdown due to Covid, but it's not beyond the realms that he's had a couple of pay rises since then.

Ok, that's specualtion, but this is from the tax return submitted to the IRS for 2019.

$9 million dollars, give or take.

Monahan income.png

Swango1980

Visit site
In the same Form 990 - listed as "Independant Contractors"

Rory McIlroy paid 25 million
Justin Thomas paid 9.5 million
Brooks Koepka paid 9.3 million

These are the top 5 highest paid "independant contractors" listed - the 3 above and 2 construction companies.

You can start to understand why Rory is such a fan of the PGA now, and why JT was so bemused about Koepka's decision to leave.

Money Talks. Literally.

View attachment 43192
Is this reliable? If so, I wonder how McIlroy earned that money? As far as I can see, he has won just over $7m in 2021. Not sure what he win last year, but apparently Rahm was money leader on PGA with just under $8m. So, even for a period longer than a year (assuming this form represents a tax year), how does McIlroy get over $25m from PGA?

Even if it was accurate, it is hardly a good reason to say why McIlroy is supporting PGA so much (I.e. money). Because, if that was his reasoning, then logic would dictate he would jump ship to LIV immediately, as his sign up fee alone would dwarf any money he had earned on PGA.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is this reliable? If so, I wonder how McIlroy earned that money? As far as I can see, he has won just over $7m in 2021. Not sure what he win last year, but apparently Rahm was money leader on PGA with just under $8m. So, even for a period longer than a year (assuming this form represents a tax year), how does McIlroy get over $25m from PGA?

Even if it was accurate, it is hardly a good reason to say why McIlroy is supporting PGA so much (I.e. money). Because, if that was his reasoning, then logic would dictate he would jump ship to LIV immediately, as his sign up fee alone would dwarf any money he had earned on PGA.

I've deleted that post mate as the info could be miscontrued, it is what he earned from the PGA including his FEDEX cup win - which was 15 million. I know a few on here like to accuse posters of making up unfounded claims, and I could see that happening with that post, hence the reason I removed it.

It's all reliable information though, and can be found on the IRS form 990

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/520999206/202023219349309777/full

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Monaghans compensation is less than 1% of one years PGA Tour revenue.

I don’t see what the problem is, that’s not an unusual or shocking number.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Monaghans compensation is less than 1% of one years PGA Tour revenue.

I don’t see what the problem is, that’s not an unusual or shocking number.

Well in the original post, which has been cropped, I was pointing out that the PGA Tour is registered as a NFP, to avoid paying tax.

When the commisioner alone is taking such a large salary, and they are getting nowhere near the charitable commitment of the top 100 NFP's in the USA, then I think it's worthy of discussion.

Also, Foxholer aasked me to provide evidence to back up my claims of his income - which is what I was doing.

Swango1980

Visit site
2017 - 3.91 million dollars
2018 - 4.37 million dollars
2019 - 5.38 million dollars

We know in 2020 he waived about 1.5 million as the tour was effectively shutdown due to Covid, but it's not beyond the realms that he's had a couple of pay rises since then.

Ok, that's specualtion, but this is from the tax return submitted to the IRS for 2019.

$9 million dollars, give or take.

View attachment 43190
Just so I am clear, is this part of the debate, using the salary of the head of the PGA Tour, being utilised as a means to put a negative spin on the PGA Tour in comparison to LIV? Perhaps to try and suggest "look how corrupt or greedy this guy is"?

To be fair, I don't think it is unreasonable for the head of a multi million pound organisation to earn that amount of money. I'd imagine it might be similar for any other large company. And, I'm sure a lot of the work he has done has helped generate the high funds coming into the PGA.

However, even if everyone were to agree he gets paid too much, I'm.not sure how it helps in this specific debate? I'd imagine the person(s) at the very top of LIV have a bit of money themselves. I bet they earn significantly more than the head of the PGA. Not through golf obviously. However, how fair or reasonable do we think that money is earned? I won't comment what I think, but if anyone is trying to be critical about what Monaghan earns, surely it is only fair to make a like with like comparison on both tours. Once done, then everyone can make their mind up which tour "wins" in this specific part of the debate.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a rather convoluted attempt to justify criticism of the PGA Tour. It is undisputedly a wealthy and well financed organisation, but haven't we been hearing for the last 20 years how well the players have been doing from it. In the US, CEOs earn good money. Plenty of CEOs from companies running a loss pull in as much as Monahan.

This is also the US, home of the American dream, where winners win big and losers ..... don't. The no cut, everyone gets paid aspect of LIV goes against that.

The essential question is whether players are fairly paid for their efforts. Since Tiger came on the scene, purses have rocketed, and many mid-ranking players have amassed considerable on-course earnings. For them to now start to whine about the rewards on the PGA Tour and run off to the LIV Tour is disgraceful. If they want to go, fine, go, but don't come back. They were warned that once they put a tee in the ground, they were done with the PGA Tour, so no good moaning about having earned their cards or wanting to play wherever they want.

I dislike the LIV Tour and won't be following it. I think it is rather vulgar and grubby. The ADD coverage is almost unwatchable and the team format is laughable. They will also be getting in bed with Trump, who is odious and an embarrassment to golf. It would seem there is little shame or dignity in the whole venture. The players who have gone to it are welcome to it, but they should shut up and wallow in their easy money. If I never hear about them again, fine.

Meanwhile, I will watch the PGA Tour, not that I get much chance to do even that, and hope that Rory and others win plenty. I even like Scottie Scheffler a bit more after his comments.

Other opinions are available.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well in the original post, which has been cropped, I was pointing out that the PGA Tour is registered as a NFP, to avoid paying tax.

When the commisioner alone is taking such a large salary, and they are getting nowhere near the charitable commitment of the top 100 NFP's in the USA, then I think it's worthy of discussion.

Also, Foxholer aasked me to provide evidence to back up my claims of his income - which is what I was doing.

what about how much money Greg Norman is making - is it £50mil a year ?

PGA Tour CEO is paid in line with standard CEO wages - not sure what the issue is ?‍♂️

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

And purely for balance can you tell me how much Mr Norman is being paid by LiV?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Guys, I'm just answering the question to validate my claims of Monahan's salary with facts - I've done that.

If the PGA Tour want to claim not for profit through charity status, then fine, but it's only fair to scrutinise their executives salaries isn't it?

If the Commissioner is making around 9 million a year from running a 'charity', he's doing rather well for himself.

We all know the LIV series is paying obscene amounts of money, buy equally Monahan's salary shouldn't escape scrutiny.