LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So, todays news.

Brooks now confirmed, and the money that Monahan has found to pay the players more - he already had from TV deals. Clearly undersetimated the threat of LIV, and is now trying to patch up the mess he's allowed to be created.

Maybe he was just waiting to see how succesful a no cut, big prize, limited field concept was before he decided to copy it?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Who missed out from last one?

Interesting the 3 to be announced I reckon they will be nobodies unless they can get another person in sharpo

Oggletree is one I think, not sure on the others.

The 3 could be biggish names that just want to compete in this weekends tournament, guess we'll have to see, but if they were nobodies, surely they'd have kept the ones from Centurion?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oggletree is one I think, not sure on the others.

The 3 could be biggish names that just want to compete in this weekends tournament, guess we'll have to see, but if they were nobodies, surely they'd have kept the ones from Centurion?

That's my point they will be but won't announce until they hear if the big names will sign or not

D

Deleted member 21445

Pretty sure the 3 Coming Soons will be 3 more major announcements.
Otherwise why not just name them now??

Liv have showed already their tactic to drip feed news to keep everyone engaged, keep in the news and talking about it

D

Deleted member 15344

Pretty sure the 3 Coming Soons will be 3 more major announcements.
Otherwise why not just name them now??

Liv have showed already their tactic to drip feed news to keep everyone engaged, keep in the news and talking about it

They will be spaces left for people to qualify from an Asian Event - (Korean Open ) just like they did at Centurion- a few spots were given for high places in the Slaley Hall event

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
So, todays news.

Brooks now confirmed, and the money that Monahan has found to pay the players more - he already had from TV deals. Clearly undersetimated the threat of LIV, and is now trying to patch up the mess he's allowed to be created.

Maybe he was just waiting to see how succesful a no cut, big prize, limited field concept was before he decided to copy it?

Or maybe he was trying to replenish the reserves he’d dipped in to keep a pga tour going during covid

$800 mil he was keeping from the players according to Phil … it was $300 mil before covid hit

They don’t have an unlimited pot of money like PIF

Monahan : "If this is an arms race, and if the only weapons here are dollar bills the PGA Tour can't compete with a foreign monarchy that is spending billions of dollars in an attempt to buy the game of golf."

It’s bang on what he’s said there tbh

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That team format is awful. It needs to go.

I think it is probably one of the worst ideas in sport ever. Possibly one of the worst ideas in anything ever. Possibly simply the worst. Can anyone else conceive of someone so out of touch as to come up with the thought that this would be a good idea? Was this an idea from Saudi Arabia itself, where its great history and feel for golf and sport in general is right down there with possibly no nations below it. If this actually came from Greg and company with a background in golf, then, can a human mind really be warped from reality to that extent ? Even the names. They are sooooooo bad. No, I cannot think of a worse idea.
LIV deserve an award for coming up with what at least will live on as the go to benchmark for bad ideas - "pineapple on a pizza ? Yuck, that's a LIV idea".

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
surprised we havent heard much fallout from the sponsors of the players. If you are Nike, for example, and you are paying a huge amount for a player to wear your clothes and shoes because they are on major tv networks every week around the world, are there not contractual implications if the player decides to move to a competition that doesnt even have a tv deal yet?

Harry Putter

Visit site
I think it is probably one of the worst ideas in sport ever. Possibly one of the worst ideas in anything ever. Possibly simply the worst. Can anyone else conceive of someone so out of touch as to come up with the thought that this would be a good idea? Was this an idea from Saudi Arabia itself, where its great history and feel for golf and sport in general is right down there with possibly no nations below it. If this actually came from Greg and company with a background in golf, then, can a human mind really be warped from reality to that extent ? Even the names. They are sooooooo bad. No, I cannot think of a worse idea.
LIV deserve an award for coming up with what at least will live on as the go to benchmark for bad ideas - "pineapple on a pizza ? Yuck, that's a LIV idea".

It was dreamt up by a 30-something year old marketing executive who thought they had a career until they stood in front of a flipchart and 20 suits and said they've got a good idea... let's ignore the past 150 years of golfing tradition and devise a format that people enjoy and follow something like the IPL team thing.. lets make up whacky team names that will draw the ignorant punters in, make pots of cash and no mistake. Sorry mate, golf is an individual sport and you bombed out. If you think I wake up in the morning looking forward to the Perez/Reed team score then think again...

4LEX

Visit site
Still a field of some of the most unsavoury players in the world with limited star appeal.

DJ, Bryson and Brooks are the only top tier players in my view. DJ is way past his peak and will struggle to win another major, Bryson has wrecked his body and has a limited shelf life, while Brooks looks half the player he was. Easy decision for all three to take the money and I don't blame them on a professional point of view.

However as a spectacle, LIV need way more than a shotgun and the current limited field to really take away the spotlight and kudos from the PGA Tour.

I also doubt the PGA Tour have been sitting on this money all along, it's most likely a haul of the major sponsors backing the tour in a fight for survival.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As has been mentioned, the qualifying conditions for the opens were set months ago so no surprise at all with announcements.
I wouldn't be surprised if the majors aren't acutely aware of their need to stay relevant. Whilst many of us punters love the history etc., the majors have been under some threat/competition with big purses elsewhere, and this latest escalation of cash will add to that I suspect.

Slightly amusing that field strength is now a hot topic. The US PGA consistently comes last when people rate the majors but for many years consistently had the strongest field. ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1418

Wow, I bet the people of Portland cannot wait to see the 1785th ranked player in the world chopping it around.............! ?