LIV Golf

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He took z punt on a horse - pity it turned out to be lame.

However some his comments on the PGA ought not to be written off to quickly.

4LEX

Visit site
His behaviour on and off the course has been bizarre for a few years now. All that 'Fireside with Phil' stuff and his huge money matches. His ego is writing cheques his golf can't cash and he had his head turned by easy money. He won't win another major or play in a Ryder Cup so he had nothing to lose.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
No Ryder Cup captaincy for him though, and the possibility of being banned from PGA Tour/Champions Tour for a period of time. Some are saying that this 'break' is actually a ban. That's what happened to DJ a few years back too, when he had some 'personal' issues to deal with.

I have no sympathy for him at all. He tried to manipulate the PGA Tour for his own financial benefit, and did it in a very sneaky way. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't keep his mouth shut about it when talking to the journalist and now it has backfired hugely.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am quite intrigued by Shipnuck's book. I've always found Phil a hard one to judge - exciting player, seems very positive with the fans and generous with tips but on the other hand there were the FIGJAM comments, insider trading, gambling, throwing Watson under the bus, this and some penalty issues.

I appreciate all of us aren't perfect, but I've never quite know whether he's one to warm to or be wary of.

Edited to add - definitely suspended by tour i reckon, we'll see him back at the Masters.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
He took z punt on a horse - pity it turned out to be lame.

However some his comments on the PGA ought not to be written off to quickly.
like what ? The made up 20 billion they’re hiding … the way they nastily own his image rights so they can sell the product to tv

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Smacks of self protection https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...ments-and-says-he-is-taking-a-break-from-golf and trying to placate everyone he's upset without actually coming out and being totally sorry. There are lots of rumours that he's upset a lot of fellow pros and that he's got a lot of issues off the course (gambling debts). I don't think too many fellow pros will give him too much support and perhaps a break and dealing with whatever is clearly going on behind the scenes isn't a bad idea and then perhaps focus on the senior tour

evemccc

Visit site
Am I right in thinking if Shipnuck hadn’t released PM’s comments then the SGL would have had the 20 big names to launch and to torpedo the PGA Tour?

Is this all about Phil vs the Tour re: NFT’s? And did he have no intention of leaving, just wanted ‘leverage’ in NFT negotiations with the Tour?

If so, then surely it’s the SGL-committed 20 named who’d be hacked off with him, why would any other pros be?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s pathetic.

He tries to paint himself as the hero, only apologies to the people he needs money from and the Saudis. Blames someone else for his comments. Then tries to paint himself as the hero and he was only thinking of others. Before blaming mental health issues. It’s the easiest cop out.

He was getting a ban, and this is his way of trying to save face.

He’s showing his true colours, and what was behind that fake smile for all these years.

phillarrow

Visit site
He's a funny one Mickelson. That languid walk, the miracle short game, always being the underdog against Tiger, all these things paint a picture of a people's champion. However, he just doesn't come across as very likeable. For me, the stuff he can't out with about Tom Watson was worse that this - legends of the game deserve more respect than public criticism.
Mickelson is just an odd fish!

The only thing I would say in his 'defence' is that I would hate to live my life in the spotlight the way he has, and it surprises me that more players don't end up stuffing things up like this.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overplayed his hand rather a bit. I think a lot of people found Mickelson's comments about greed to be rather hypocritical. Isn't he the guy who got into, ahem, some difficulties with some rather colourful people involved in the gambling business? And who has been sanctioned more than once by the Tour for gambling? He has scooped up a ton of money from the Tour and ought to be very thankful. Mickelson has always had a reputation for being two-faced, smiling to the cameras and then a barsteward off them. The Don Johnson character in Tin Cup was thought to be inspired by him, and his nickname on Tour used to be FIGJAM, which means, paraphrasing, Flip, I'm Good, Just Ask Me. I would not miss him if he disappeared off to the Saudi Tour and their Trump courses.

The Saudi Tour looks like it is only going to get players who can't really cut it any more on the PGA Tour. The reality is that Poulter, Westwood, Mickelson, Stenson and the like are probably never going to win again, so may as well cash in. The biggest US name still seemingly attached, after Mickelson, is Jason Kokrak, and he is planning a money grab and early retirement.

D

Deleted member 15344

like what ? The made up 20 billion they’re hiding … the way they nastily own his image rights so they can sell the product to tv

Most sporting bodies hold the image rights for the players - it’s pretty standard

In regards Mickleson- most people have thought that he hid his true colours

He had no issue with the PGA when they gave him millions for social media Interactions

No issues if he isn’t seen on the tour again

evemccc

Visit site
Irrespective of anything else, I would be happy to see the current iteration of the PGA Tour taken down a peg or two. Would it not be desirable to see golf be like the ATP Tennis tour, which, relative to golf is truly global?

Instead of all its events in the US, wouldn’t it be good to see a few in Europe, SE Asia, Japan, Middle East as well as Mexico and North America. The Asian Tour, European Tour, and US Tour (Korn Ferry) could be feeder tours for the global PGA Tour

Obvs never going to happen!

phillarrow

Visit site
Irrespective of anything else, I would be happy to see the current iteration of the PGA Tour taken down a peg or two. Would it not be desirable to see golf be like the ATP Tennis tour, which, relative to golf is truly global?

Instead of all its events in the US, wouldn’t it be good to see a few in Europe, SE Asia, Japan, Middle East as well as Mexico and North America. The Asian Tour, European Tour, and US Tour (Korn Ferry) could be feeder tours for the global PGA Tour

100% yes in my opinion. I'd love to see this too... but you're right, it won't happen.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Really? I think that is precisely what is going to happen. The PGA Tour has been trying to grow their brand, and have done deals with various Tours recently to support that.