LIV Golf

4LEX

Visit site
I'm more pro PGA Tour in this situation but only because of the way Norman and a lot of the players he's signed up have handled themselves. Norman is a bitter old man who has more chips on his shoulder than Binley Mega Chippy bangs out in a day. He only cares about money and getting one over on the PGA Tour, nothing else. Poulter and G-Mac don't care about growing the game, they care about growing their bank balance. Which is fine but have the bottle to say so. Telling lies and squirming in a press conference isn't a good look. Ditto Norman having a journalist thrown out and lying about it. Or the LIV players banning replies on social media. Just underhand and not the way you want to do things.

Theres no doubt the PGA Tour needed a shake up. I'd be in favour of the US PGA losing it's major status and it being granted to a major that travels around the world, to golf countries like Australia, Japan, China and other European countries. It's unfair all of the majors are in 2 countries. That would genuinely grow the game.

It'll be very interesting what the European Tour does and what the majors do. That will make or break the LIV Tour. If they back up the PGA Tour it'll be finished in a year or two. If the European Tour senses a weakness and a chance to grow themselves, then they could allow all the LIV players access to events which would increase the field quality, especially as more players switch. I think the majors will ban or make it very difficult for the LIV players to qualify next year though. Throw in the Ryder Cup and it's going to be a lively end to the year!

The plus point is this has raised the profile of golf and seen it make headlines on a daily basis again..

Barking_Mad

Visit site
At present none of the American players in LIV are eligible for the Ryder Cup. To be honest if any of them on either side play I'll not watch.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
What surprises me is the amount of schadenfreude Americans especially have in the Saudis funneling billions into removing golf from their own country. Not that it shouldn't be as fixed as it is, but Twatter is full of flag flying, Americans actively wanting The PGA Tour to die on its arse. It's quite a thing to see. Too much Trump maybe? ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm more pro PGA Tour in this situation but only because of the way Norman and a lot of the players he's signed up have handled themselves. Norman is a bitter old man who has more chips on his shoulder than Binley Mega Chippy bangs out in a day. He only cares about money and getting one over on the PGA Tour, nothing else. Poulter and G-Mac don't care about growing the game, they care about growing their bank balance. Which is fine but have the bottle to say so. Telling lies and squirming in a press conference isn't a good look. .

Did you watch the full press conference. Both players said the money was a big influence. Poulter even pretty much admitted it was the main reason, with providing for his family number 1 priority.

Every press conference I saw, players were clear the money was a huge factor. So, I don't understand why some people have the impression they are pretending the money isn't important?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Meanwhile back in the real world..

"One community NHS worker said that the fuel price rise had outstripped the reimbursement they were given for petrol costs, so staff were now paying not just to get to work, but also to drive to patients’ houses to do their job"

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be in favour of the US PGA losing it's major status and it being granted to a major that travels around the world, to golf countries like Australia, Japan, China and other European countries. It's unfair all of the majors are in 2 countries. That would genuinely grow the game.

No one grants major status. You can call anything you like a major if you want. But they have acquired the status through the evolving history of golf. It isnt a franchise to be reassigned.

Swango1980

Visit site
Poulter has earned $27m. It's a bit tiresome to keep hearing that they need the money. Not like they're queuing outside their local foodbank or wondering how to afford putting money in their electricity meter.

Such is the protected bubble of top tier pro golf.
Of course they are already incredibly wealthy. But, it is human nature. I imagine few to none of us are queuing outside food banks either? I am sure some of us are quite comfortable. But, if you had the chance to increase your salary multiple times over, and have an extra day or 2 off a week, I wouldn't negatively judge you for taking that new job. If you don't, someone else will just take it anyway.

4LEX

Visit site
Did you watch the full press conference. Both players said the money was a big influence. Poulter even pretty much admitted it was the main reason, with providing for his family number 1 priority.

Every press conference I saw, players were clear the money was a huge factor. So, I don't understand why some people have the impression they are pretending the money isn't important?

I did and they mentioned it but it was talked about a level below the "growing the game" nonsense.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Poulter has earned $27m. It's a bit tiresome to keep hearing that they need the money. Not like they're queuing outside their local foodbank or wondering how to afford putting money in their electricity meter.

Such is the protected bubble of top tier pro golf.

Its is a pitiful line many of them are trotting out. 'looking after my family' does sound good on the face of it. Of course we all sympathise with a father wanting to feed and clothe his kids. But these guys are multimillionaires already. Just say - 'I am very rich already, like it, and want even more money. These guys are offering bucket loads to me, so I signed.'.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course they are already incredibly wealthy. But, it is human nature. I imagine few to none of us are queuing outside food banks either? I am sure some of us are quite comfortable. But, if you had the chance to increase your salary multiple times over, and have an extra day or 2 off a week, I would negatively judge you for taking that new job. If you don't, someone else will just take it anyway.

It's 100% human nature. I bring home a good wage but I don't turn down overtime to pay for extra holidays or golf clubs ..

If someone said double your salary, work half the time and no nights

Where do I sign

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Of course they are already incredibly wealthy. But, it is human nature. I imagine few to none of us are queuing outside food banks either? I am sure some of us are quite comfortable. But, if you had the chance to increase your salary multiple times over, and have an extra day or 2 off a week, I wouldn't negatively judge you for taking that new job. If you don't, someone else will just take it anyway.
I have no quibble with them signing for bigger and more secure money. But the 'Ive got mouths to feed and need to do this to put bread on the table' aroma is disingenuous.

4LEX

Visit site
No one grants major status. You can call anything you like a major if you want. But they have acquired the status through the evolving history of golf. It isnt a franchise to be reassigned.

The PGA Tour and media have been trying to give The Players major status over the last few years so you're right. Major status has been in place for so many decades it needs a shake up IMO. Totally wrong 3/4 majors are based in a single country.

Swango1980

Visit site
I did and they mentioned it but it was talked about a level below the "growing the game" nonsense.
I just watched it again, looked like it was the first thing Poulter said. Either way, they still said it, and the order things come out will largely be based on the journalists questions.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Meanwhile back in the real world..

"One community NHS worker said that the fuel price rise had outstripped the reimbursement they were given for petrol costs, so staff were now paying not just to get to work, but also to drive to patients’ houses to do their job"
That petrol money that goes to Saudi to go to Phil. Nice. Phil thanks NHS worker.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Growing the game is just a line trotted out because it seems impossible to criticise, like feeding their hungry children huddled in rags in the background. It just opens them to more criticism. Some of them sound very badly advised, or simply arent thinking about what they are saying. There is a rabbits in the headlights vibe from a lot of them, which does reveal they are very uneasy with what they are doing. But doing it nonetheless.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have no quibble with them signing for bigger and more secure money. But the 'Ive got mouths to feed and need to do this to put bread on the table' aroma is disingenuous.
That is your words, which is not what I heard once from any of them. I am sure they are not worried about putting bread on table.

Maybe he wants to ensure his immediate family have extremely comfortable lives. When his kids grow up, have the money to give them big houses, cars, the dream wedding, expensive university? Maybe he spreads the money to other family members? No idea how they all invest their money, but the more they make the more they can spread to their family.