LIV Golf

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone ever gone out and bought something because a golfer was advertising something on his shirt ?
I know I haven't, but hey I am sure there must be people out there who do.

On a similar theme, I don't understand Coke and Pepsi spending so much on advertising. Has anyone ever been in a bar or restaurant and ordered a Coke, when the waitress says we've got Pepsi? If so, do you decline and leave or do what I do and reply "Yes that's fine"?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You've forgotten to add that as part of sponsorship a player will do a number of personal appearances at sponsors events, whether golf days or other events for staff/clients.

So you can see why a number of big global brands are dropping the LIV players as they're thinking of their wider business interests.

Good point... and since some of these commitments are very likely to take place at PGAT events and the player is banned from attending... well it kinda scuppers that portion of their contracted obligations and a change of agreement is the least that'll be needed

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You've forgotten to add that as part of sponsorship a player will do a number of personal appearances at sponsors events, whether golf days or other events for staff/clients.

So you can see why a number of big global brands are dropping the LIV players as they're thinking of their wider business interests.

I was going to mention similar, but with a different angle. As you say the sponsorships come with a number of commitments - photo shoots, clinics, etc. The players may be feeling they aren't so in need of the extra, and regular income from the sponsorships, and may welcome the diary days back.

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/id...pg9x6Ku7h5Wv07IayMhiedbvQ#l5js7q8sstr9h9ln3a8

“There is no such thing as a free lunch,” he said. “I believe the model we've seen at Centurion and Pumpkin Ridge is not in the best long-term interests of the sport as a whole and is entirely driven by money. We believe it undermines the merit-based culture and the spirit of open competition that makes golf so special. I would also like to say that in my opinion the continued commentary that this is about growing the game is just not credible and if anything, is harming the perception of our sport which we are working so hard to improve.””

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/id...pg9x6Ku7h5Wv07IayMhiedbvQ#l5js7q8sstr9h9ln3a8

“There is no such thing as a free lunch,” he said. “I believe the model we've seen at Centurion and Pumpkin Ridge is not in the best long-term interests of the sport as a whole and is entirely driven by money. We believe it undermines the merit-based culture and the spirit of open competition that makes golf so special. I would also like to say that in my opinion the continued commentary that this is about growing the game is just not credible and if anything, is harming the perception of our sport which we are working so hard to improve.””

What have the R&A done to grow the game then, realistically?

What changes are they making that take it to new audiences, and get non golfers interested?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They took the Sky $

See, the terrestrial TV coverage of golf isn't worth a shiny shite these days is it?

If they wanted to grow the game, they'd be showcasing their premier event to as many people as possible wouldn't they - even if it was a worthwhile highlights package.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/en/what-we-do

And wasn’t moving to Sky all about reaching newer audiences and sky bringing innovations to the way they broadcast The Open

I've clicked the link and watched the video - and Martin Slumbers has said golf particiaption is up because of Covid, and we need to keep those people involved....

That's it!!

As for the Sky Coverage of The Open, there was nothing better than watching it on the beeb, and it should have remained that way. They just took the money - the very same thing that the LIV players are castigated for.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've clicked the link and watched the video - and Martin Slumbers has said golf particiaption is up because of Covid, and we need to keep those people involved....

That's it!!

As for the Sky Coverage of The Open, there was nothing better than watching it on the beeb, and it should have remained that way. They just took the money - the very same thing that the LIV players are castigated for.

Did you not see the playbook ?

https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent...0b-9407-20918eeafb5b/The RA Playbookfinal.pdf

£200m Investment
We are aiming to invest £200 million into golf over a 10-year period (2017-2026) in supporting a range of participation, coaching, grassroots, inclusion, sustainability and Rules education initiatives across the world, as well as maintaining our governance of the sport and staging world class championships. Working through our network of 159 affiliated organisations in 144 countries, we promote accessible, affordable and sustainable golf. This investment is largely supported by the proceeds of The Open. The profits made from our Championships are re-invested in the sport to help us achieve our goal of ensuring golf is thriving 50 years from now.”

I also enjoyed watching on the BBC but the money from Sky will help go towards growing the game.

I guess giving £200mil to grassroots is better than giving £200mil to Mickleson

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Did you not see the playbook ?

https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent.com/c42c7bf4-dca7-00ea-4f2e-373223f80f76/a017b024-46e9-470b-9407-20918eeafb5b/The RA Playbookfinal.pdf

£200m Investment
We are aiming to invest £200 million into golf over a 10-year period (2017-2026) in supporting a range of participation, coaching, grassroots, inclusion, sustainability and Rules education initiatives across the world, as well as maintaining our governance of the sport and staging world class championships. Working through our network of 159 affiliated organisations in 144 countries, we promote accessible, affordable and sustainable golf. This investment is largely supported by the proceeds of The Open. The profits made from our Championships are re-invested in the sport to help us achieve our goal of ensuring golf is thriving 50 years from now.”

I also enjoyed watching on the BBC but the money from Sky will help go towards growing the game.

I guess giving £200mil to grassroots is better than giving £200mil to Mickleson

Ok, we're 5 years in on that ten year period - what has changed?

American dominance of the game has increased, municipal golf clubs are shutting down all over the country, but the prize money at The Open has gone up.

D

Deleted member 15344

American dominance of the game has increased, municipal golf clubs are shutting down all over the country, but the prize money at The Open has gone up.

Very strange criteria ?‍♂️

American dominance ? How is that anything to with them R&A ?‍♂️ - even though the most recent major winner is English

And municipal clubs are run by councils and could be closing for many reasons - none of which have anything to do with the R&A ?‍♂️

Barking_Mad

Visit site

And the answer is to think Saudis can do a better job. ? Baby and bath water.

Mod Edit, Political

Last edited by a moderator:

Barking_Mad

Visit site

American dominance ? How is that anything to with them R&A ?‍♂️ - even though the most recent major winner is English

And municipal clubs are run by councils and could be closing for many reasons - none of which have anything to do with the R&A ?‍♂️

He's taking the 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' view. He hates all golfing bodies so much he doesn't give a flying fig which bunch of shysters throw a load of money at it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

A typically obtuse reading of the argument by the apologist in chief (not you, obvs), as we have come to expect.

As for American domination, where is LIV Golf headquartered?. West Palm Beach, FL. Isn't that where Trump lives? What are the chances?

The R&A runs lots of grassroots events and Championships, professional, amateur, men, women, juniors. I must have missed the LIV Golf announcement of their versions.

This week the R&A is hosting arguably the biggest global golf event in the game, at a public course you and I can play. The LIV Tour events all look like they are at private exclusive courses or very expensive resorts. That'll really draw in the golf-curious. They also are main players in development of the rules, including distance limits and other things to preserve the courses we have.

In the growing the game contest, it is laughably one-sided. In truth, we know that the LIV Tour have no interest in growing the game, just growing their power and the bank balance;ances of their top players. Soon enough they will squeeze out some of the chaff. I don't think Jediah should bank on being there for the long term.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

So what good has the 200 million investment done then?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
A typically obtuse reading of the argument by the apologist in chief (not you, obvs), as we have come to expect.

As for American domination, where is LIV Golf headquartered?. West Palm Beach, FL. Isn't that where Trump lives? What are the chances?

The R&A runs lots of grassroots events and Championships, professional, amateur, men, women, juniors. I must have missed the LIV Golf announcement of their versions.

This week the R&A is hosting arguably the biggest global golf event in the game, at a public course you and I can play. The LIV Tour events all look like they are at private exclusive courses or very expensive resorts. That'll really draw in the golf-curious. They also are main players in development of the rules, including distance limits and other things to preserve the courses we have.

In the growing the game contest, it is laughably one-sided. In truth, we know that the LIV Tour have no interest in growing the game, just growing their power and the bank balance;ances of their top players. Soon enough they will squeeze out some of the chaff. I don't think Jediah should bank on being there for the long term.

How much is a green fee at St Andrew’s Ethan. That public course that we can all play?

D

Deleted member 15344

So what good has the 200 million investment done then?

Have you even bothered to read their vision ?

What exactly are you looking to see from £200mil investment into the sport ? Do you need me to break down the £200mil ?

it could be anything from coaching , funding for local authorities, schemes to get people into golf , schemes to target demographics who don’t normally play or interested in golf

How much is a green fee at St Andrew’s Ethan. That public course that we can all play?

A lot cheaper than Wembley , Twickenham or Lords