LIV Golf

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Didn’t the Saudi money already try that but got turned down ?

And most of the players have already at some points played in ET events over the years

But I would hope a major tour wouldn’t be paying £4mil to an Amatuer just to play in events

My question was more hypothetical, i.e. imagine if it had bought the ET. It worked for Man City… imagine all of those players turning up to the same event, not just the odd few that the ET paid to come across.

I’m not fussed either way, but (thinking whimsically) it worked for City.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My question was more hypothetical, i.e. imagine if it had bought the ET. It worked for Man City… imagine all of those players turning up to the same event, not just the odd few that the ET paid to come across.

I’m not fussed either way, but (thinking whimsically) it worked for City.
The Football analogy doesn't work. Buying City is more equivalent to buying an individual player. Buying the ET is more like buying the entire Premiere League.

D

Deleted member 21445

Just watched the start of the Liv Portland event.
No doubt that it has stepped up massively since the London event with considerably more recognisable faces..

Also being in the USA with nicer weather looks better

Feels more like a proper tournament, unlike London that had a lot of players nobody knew.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just watched the start of the Liv Portland event.
No doubt that it has stepped up massively since the London event with considerably more recognisable faces..

Also being in the USA with nicer weather looks better

Feels more like a proper tournament, unlike London that had a lot of players nobody knew.

The pictures being shown on social media look like the crowds are very sparse - wonder if that’s because of the incident in the area

D

Deleted member 21445

The pictures being shown on social media look like the crowds are very sparse - wonder if that’s because of the incident in the area

Crowds are not massive for sure but the marquee groups, Brooks group, BDC group, Mickleson group have most of the gallery

D

Deleted member 15344

Crowds are not massive for sure but the marquee groups, Brooks group, BDC group, Mickleson group have most of the gallery

Those are the pictures - if they are most of the gallery then that’s not great , looked like about 10 people watching BDC putt

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just watched 2 minutes of it. I don't know which American was commentating but he was describing an incident on the practise ground this morning where Matt Jones shouted over to Richard Bland "they've put a wheelchair over there for you", Richard Bland replied with a hand jesters and the crowd laughed.

The commentators went on to cheesily say how this sort of camaraderie is what the tours is about and that the guys there are now friends for life now blah blah blah ? ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like plenty of people but hey, if you want to watch with fingers over your eyes ?. LIV won't mind the comments, if you are watching how few spectators there are then you are still watching the stream.......

Commentators need to calm down with the tub thumping. I think they have had too many Haribo's and are a bit excitable.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Plenty of people there for a day 1.

I’ve been to a good few ET comps in mainland Europe…sometimes there might be as many as 10 spectators on a hole. Whilst I neither support or disagree with the LIV tour, some of the negativity is about as accurate as a dead rat with a bazooka.

D

Deleted member 21445

Those are the pictures - if they are most of the gallery then that’s not great , looked like about 10 people watching BDC putt

There are some decent crowds for some groups.
Must remember It's only the 2nd ever event at the end of the day.
It's going to take a lot of time and more players to move across before they can dream of the crowds the PGA Tour gets.

I like having the caddies microphoned up so you can listen to the conversations.
The announcers arnt great but it may be that we're just not used to them.
The coverage is pretty good, see lots of shots not just putts

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_221404.jpg
    IMG_20220630_221404.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 8

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Amount of spectators seems ok compared to 'normal' tournaments - until the fact that there are no grandstands (well, none that 've seen yet). That would give the impression of considerably more when compared to normal tour events.
Whole broadcast seems to be a bit 'rushed' switching from player to player far quicker than normal. I'm not a fan of that. Commentators are pushing the 'team' concept which is bollocks imo as there's nothing 'teamy' about it. I do like the mic in the hole innovation though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not exactly a stacked crowd at the John Deere either… I’ve been watching an empty course all evening

I’m guessing they haven’t spent £100mil plus on players just to play though ?‍♂️
There are some decent crowds for some groups.
Must remember It's only the 2nd ever event at the end of the day.
It's going to take a lot of time and more players to move across before they can dream of the crowds the PGA Tour gets.

I like having the caddies microphoned up so you can listen to the conversations.
The announcers arnt great but it may be that we're just not used to them.
The coverage is pretty good, see lots of shots not just putts

When the players are offering free tickets to everyone they can and there are still small crowds that could maybe say that whilst the players are happy to ignore where the money comes from the fans don’t - even more so with the story about the local killed

It’s still essential a very rich exhibition comp and not sure if that will change

D

Deleted member 21445

I’m guessing they haven’t spent £100mil plus on players just to play though ?‍♂️

When the players are offering free tickets to everyone they can and there are still small crowds that could maybe say that whilst the players are happy to ignore where the money comes from the fans don’t - even more so with the story about the local killed

It’s still essential a very rich exhibition comp and not sure if that will change

Time will tell, so hard to predict.

Fully expect their field to strengthen again before their next event.
Reports say more top players are waiting till after the open before they go.

As little as 6 months ago its was being reported Liv was dead in the water and now it has plenty of credible names.

Like it or loathe it every player has his $$ number and it's a number the PGA Tour can't afford.
You can bet your bottom dollar plenty of players on the PGA Tour will be asking the LIV guys about the Portland experience.

Right now I can only see LIV getting stronger with their super aggressive recruiting policy and their chequebook

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite enjoying the LIV coverage. No adverts is nice, and there's always something going on. The commentators are pretty dumb though to be honest, not a fan of them. Shame I'll probably be going to bed before it finishes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Not sure your comment on players giving out free tickets is a particularly valid comment. How many players do you think have friends and family living either close enough to the event or are willing to take holidays and travel at all or even for the final round.

As for the “very rich exhibition comp,” comment, is it a comp or an exhibition match? And how would you class the Masters with half the field being has-beens and pointless invites?

If you want to debate the morality of where the money comes from, fine I’m with you on that, but the rest of your argument is weak nitpicking.

D

Deleted member 21445

Still not feeling this team aspect to LIV.
Not bothered about the names TBH.

There is something there as a new dynamic for pro golf coverage but its not there right now.

Maybe they should actually play together as teams for the 1st 2 days.