garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Load and drive at target. Bang :eek:

[video=youtube;KllZ4mLUQ08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllZ4mLUQ08[/video]

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was fiddling around on the course on Monday evening and started doing this by accident. It worked really well. I think it makes me turn better rather than swaying onto my right leg at the start of the takeaway.

I don't remember having read the thread earlier, so not giving you any credit though ;)

Although it might have been somewhere deep in my subconscious. I have a bad habit of forgetting helpful swing thoughts until the 14th hole of any given round...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Light bulb moment #1957 wasn't far behind.

Ball striking has gone from hitting fats to some serious flush irons. Transferred through to woods. Hit some of the best 3 woods ever in my life.

Been told to watch henrick stenson's swing and watched this video of his swing thoughts. 1.15 to 1.29

He shifts onto his back foot. I decided to pre set this. Not so much of a big movement of weight but certainly feeling pressure set on my trail leg. Turn around this and drive.

Result has been a feeling of coiling up behind the ball. Ball turf contact has increased 10 fold. divots are much more shallow. Less pork chop, more bacon slice.

Tried it last few holes 3 games ago. Immediate results. Last two games been 8 and 6 over quite comfortably hitting the ball more solidly than I have in years.

Seems to reduce/ eliminate my reverse pivot.

Here is the stenson video. He does this all the time.

[video=youtube;PD4yTt_Lw6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4yTt_Lw6Q&t=1s[/video]

My original thoughts on this. Start on page 5. let me know how you get on.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was fiddling around on the course on Monday evening and started doing this by accident. It worked really well. I think it makes me turn better rather than swaying onto my right leg at the start of the takeaway.

I don't remember having read the thread earlier, so not giving you any credit though ;)

Although it might have been somewhere deep in my subconscious. I have a bad habit of forgetting helpful swing thoughts until the 14th hole of any given round...

Just make sure to remember it on the first the next time, or even better, at the range. Make it a habit.:thup:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had mine today, probably the best lesson I've ever had.

Most of you who've seen my swing will know it's not a thing of any beauty. Some of the problems are;

Backswing - Left leg collapsing, stand up out of posture, flat shoulder plane, arms way behind body.
Downswing - Early extension, transition with top 1/2 of body, left leg collapses the other way this time(!), no power / direction.

Other than that I'm pretty decent.

So today I sat down with our Pro and explained how I seem to be repeating the same mistakes and, no matter what I try to do to correct any of the above I never show any real progression on video. I also feel that tips etc. / standard lessons aren't helping.

We decided to walk through the feel and find ways to get into positions.

First, with the backswing we worked on where the correct position was and then some easy drills with how to get there. I felt loaded, realised what a glute was and found some actual muscles in my body! Also, instead of rising 4" in the backswing I'm now actually dropping height which means I can create some power from the ground.

Now I've been in that position before but I always felt stuck and unable to get back to the ball. So then we did some drills using hips and driving into the impact bag to generate some speed without using my arms to generate 'power'.

After about 50 minutes we then hit a few balls and, Jebus, the difference was frightening. The Trackman stats showed the following improvements from the start of the lesson;

(7 iron)
Average 9mph clubhead speed increase.
Average 20 yards carry increase.
Tighter dispersion.
A 'proper' ball flight trajectory.

:whoo:

Walked out laughing at the simplicity of hit then went to the range to confirm it wasn't some sort of hallucination.

Think the moral of the story is that it's really important to work on feeling how you get into the right positions to hit a golf shot, and get your pro to not only talk about but help you position yourself correctly. Was the best lesson I've ever had by a long way because of this (and I've had a fair few).

Apologies for the long winded post!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great to hear. The trick now is to repeat it without the pro on your shoulder reminding and prodding you. That's always the hard bit. At least you know it's possible. Could be a big step forward 👏👏

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably doesn't read that way as I was in a rush but, the lightbulb moment was more about communication / learning how to get into positions in lessons than how much faster I swung / further I hit the ball .

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad it works mate. Practise makes permanent ;)

I was always told to swing using the big muscles and not just my 'pipe cleaner' arms

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had mine today, probably the best lesson I've ever had.

Backswing - Left leg collapsing, stand up out of posture, flat shoulder plane, arms way behind body.
Downswing - Early extension, transition with top 1/2 of body, left leg collapses the other way this time(!), no power / direction.

So today I sat down with our Pro and explained how I seem to be repeating the same mistakes and, no matter what I try to do to correct any of the above I never show any real progression on video. I also feel that tips etc. / standard lessons aren't helping.

I have idea what the bit in bold means! :rofl:

The second bit is probably some of the best advice I've read on here, I don't think enough people sit down with/challenge the pro and explain they simply aren't improving despite numerous lessons (whatever the reason) and just carry on the same path. From my (anecdotal/personal) experience a tiny proportion of people who take regular lessons actually see any improvement.

Great to see you being positive rather than frustrated mate, keep up the good work :thup:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually don't post on this thread as lightbulb moments I take with a pinch of salt as some other fault usually kicks in but I've been struggling a lot with driver, 3 wood and even hybrid recently- being far to steep.

I have known in the back of my mind a lot is to do with my rotation (or lack of) due to hip issues so have taken to flairing my left foot really open- probably more than 45 degrees then also getting more spine tilt and it has been a revelation.

Managed to practice for an hour this morning before having a lesson at lunchtime and even the pro commented how it was much better than previous lessons. I still occasionally come over the top and need to feel I keep my back to target a lot more but if this is something you struggle with give it a try.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually don't post on this thread as lightbulb moments I take with a pinch of salt as some other fault usually kicks in but I've been struggling a lot with driver, 3 wood and even hybrid recently- being far to steep.

I have known in the back of my mind a lot is to do with my rotation (or lack of) due to hip issues so have taken to flairing my left foot really open- probably more than 45 degrees then also getting more spine tilt and it has been a revelation.

Managed to practice for an hour this morning before having a lesson at lunchtime and even the pro commented how it was much better than previous lessons. I still occasionally come over the top and need to feel I keep my back to target a lot more but if this is something you struggle with give it a try.

flared lead foot very helpful to allow lead hip clearance

what may well help everything become more than just a lightbulb temporary moment is some stuff have just posted in the thread "body getting ahead of the ball in the downswing" in experts

although the title of thread maybes appears to have nothing to do with the issue you speak to here - the advice written over the angle of the direction of travel that the hands/handle/arms need to move to have the trail elbow move to front of trail hip in the downswing & how that happens plays a real key role in the relative shallowness of the shaft during the first half of the downswing from transition

just how and where the trail elbow moves in the first half of the downswing is a real key to an optimum shaft angle - meaning not getting a ways too steep

if can get the drift of this it would assist a real bunch in a more solid path & AoA into impact

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It always comes back to what the shoulders are doing. They rotate around the spine and play a huge roll on the shot you are trying to play.

I seen friends recently lose the ball out right and sure enough they have open shoulders at address. Even my nephew who usually hits a bit of a hook will lose the ball right if the tee box points left and his shoulders follow suit.

Anyone who had read my posts this last load of months with know I've struggled with contact issues. Ive tried all sorts of funky back swing ideas with the club, many different weight shift ideas too.

My bad shot has been the fat. Constantly hitting behind the ball. finally cured it this last 4 rounds or so and its been right there all along. My swing or more to the point, shoulder turn has been too flat.

Fixed this by simply thinking

One piece take away then left shoulder down to the ball.

So simple. Working a treat.

Couple of things here to explain.

[video=youtube;b9tN2yWDH5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9tN2yWDH5w[/video]

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got another one, I even reckon this ones for keeps!

😂😂

watching a crossfield video on practising strike, and he says to try and hit it out of the different parts of the club, toe, heal etc (not the grip :) )

so with my constant battles with the low hook, I try to hit it out the top of the face. BOOM! I've never been so happy to hit a weak high slice. Tried to dial it in, usual varying degrees on quality of strike, BUT overall a much higher ball flight.

Daveys cracked it :rofl: