lightbulb moment #1956

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Delighted to say I was out today and my game is back on track. 6 over with 3 3 putts on spiked greens. best round in months.

I can even hit fades again. it is an absolute pleasure striking irons well again. its my same old crappy back swing but the ball striking it night and day better from last week.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last week, if you put a gun to my head, I could not hit a fade. I'm back baby :)

[video=youtube;EXT-1Oz8bN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXT-1Oz8bN0[/video]

D

Deleted member 16999

Are you consciously slowing your swing down to think about the shoulder and are you removing all other swing thoughts as well?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you consciously slowing your swing down to think about the shoulder and are you removing all other swing thoughts as well?

Honestly its just my same old backswing and usual super strong grip. swing back as per and than only thought it to drive my shoulder to the ball.

It seems to make the rest of the swing fall into place. Hips clearing better.

Looking at the video I am loving how stable the face is through impact. I am usually fighting that from flipping over.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got to try this, will it prevent shanks?

if you throw the shoulder too much then no (i actually hit one earlier when doing this)

if anything for me it means the path is going to be more neutral and im going to hit it nearer the neck than the toe as I would when Im stuck on the inside never really been a sufferer though so prob not the best to comment

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Honestly its just my same old backswing and usual super strong grip. swing back as per and than only thought it to drive my shoulder to the ball.

Looking at the video I am loving how stable the face is through impact. I am usually fighting that from flipping over.

Likewise for me, dropped all other swing thoughts and went with this. Eventually I was swinging harder than I have for months.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got to try this, will it prevent shanks?

This video talks about outward forward and downward. its getting the right amount of each.

[video=youtube;UhPxUXEKADg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhPxUXEKADg[/video]

I got the idea watching my friend who hits fades who has too much outwards. I just thought, sod it, my shoulder is going AT THE BALL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Tried it today on the course and hit a couple of lovely shots, also hit a couple heavy, hitting the ground behind the ball, almost felt as if I was dropping the shoulder too much down and the club was then too low.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tried it today on the course and hit a couple of lovely shots, also hit a couple heavy, hitting the ground behind the ball, almost felt as if I was dropping the shoulder too much down and the club was then too low.

2.05 in that video was me getting stuck hitting it fat. Post 29. Too much down and not enough outward and forward. probably feels over the top to people who swing out to right field.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I hope that this can help me, believe it or not there was a time when irons were by far the strongest part of my game rather than the weakest link.

Thinking about this move has reminded me of one of the swing thoughts I used to use a lot, it was from the great John Jacobs and the thought was, from the top of the backswing to pull the club down to the ball. I'm hoping that this will have the same effect!

Damn it! Why do I have to wait until the weekend before I can play and try it? :angry:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just watched Mr Watson's lessons of a life time. I've had the DVD for quite some time but never got around to seeing it.

Here is a brief clip of section 8. "the secret''

I find it amazing that he went through pretty much the same frustrations and thought processes that I did to arrive at this point. The story of how he arrived at this pretty much matches up with my one word for word. The only difference is he says he tried to keep his shoulders on the same plane, where I thought about firing my shoulder at the ball. Brings about the same net result.

Anyway I am sure this boring the trunks off some people. You know what, I don't care. I am buzzing with this and hope it can help others.

[video=youtube;Fpq0-dPTqkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpq0-dPTqkI[/video]

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just watched Mr Watson's lessons of a life time. I've had the DVD for quite some time but never got around to seeing it.

Here is a brief clip of section 8. "the secret''

I find it amazing that he went through pretty much the same frustrations and thought processes that I did to arrive at this point. The story of how he arrived at this pretty much matches up with my one word for word. The only difference is he says he tried to keep his shoulders on the same plane, where I thought about firing my shoulder at the ball. Brings about the same net result.

Anyway I am sure this boring the trunks off some people. You know what, I don't care. I am buzzing with this and hope it can help others.

I thought that video was errily similar to one I have had book marked in my YT playlists. Its always been my go to video for a while, the great Tom Watson. He did pretty well i think although his memory must be shot as he talks about Jack N not corey in my video link :)

[video=youtube;b6cntSpVbZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo[/video]

Last edited:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I put this into practice today and hit the majority of irons very well, a nice clean strike with what felt like not a lot of effort.
I think its certainly something that I need to work on and ingrain as I know my swing is overly shallow, this is promoting a much better downward strike.
Thanks for sharing Gaz :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glad to help. Seems so simple that I can't belive I missed it for so long.

This can help anyone who swings too far to the right and gets hooky.

I imagine over the toppers could reduce that by stopping the right shoulder going out so much and more down at the ball.

Get the energy moving in the right direction. Right at the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is just no end to these videos. They keep coming up on my recommended videos.

For those that drop the shoulder back and swing out to the right field, this move initially feels like it might push you over the top. It does anything but.

[video=youtube;HhmabGc7HkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmabGc7HkY[/video]

If you are hitting monster hooks, trying to weaken off your grip a touch won't do much if your path is still significantly out to the right. My grip is still crazy strong and I can now hit fades and draws quite easily.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hows this going mate, Is it still the golden egg?

Ive had a few more since, todays was a beaut! Wonder what tomorrow will bring :rofl:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is just no end to these videos. They keep coming up on my recommended videos.

For those that drop the shoulder back and swing out to the right field, this move initially feels like it might push you over the top. It does anything but.

[video=youtube;HhmabGc7HkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmabGc7HkY[/video]

If you are hitting monster hooks, trying to weaken off your grip a touch won't do much if your path is still significantly out to the right. My grip is still crazy strong and I can now hit fades and draws quite easily.

Have just noticed this thread.

When you are coiled at the top of your backswing, are you still consciously thinking of "bumping" your hips towards the target, then trying to hit with your right shoulder ?