Lexus NX arrived yesterday

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Starting a new thread for this as I know there were a couple of people interested in real-life driving experiences once I took delivery...Firstly, here's the gratuitous first shot that I (quickly) took last night;

27776650836_a31e7a4ab8_z.jpg

I'll post some updates in here over the next few weeks after I've done a couple of refuels...However...First impressions are excellent; unbelievably comfortable to drive and just an absolute pleasure just being sat in it. Love being able to adjust the angle of the rear seats to suit the passenger's comfort/giving you more boot space without the need to put the seats down.

We have the Luxury spec, which is slap bang in the middle of the range - there's a few things that would be "nice haves" which we experienced on the F-Sport model we test drove, but I wouldn't say I'm missing them...It's got enough gadgets and convenience things as standard anyway! Pre-Crash warning, adaptive cruise control (which is amazing), rear parking camera, electric seat adjustment, to name a few. Storage is ridiculous, so many cubby holes and the centre console is nearly as big as the kitchen in my first house. The boot isn't massive, but it's big enough for our needs - We've been spoiled with the Mondeo and it's cavernous boot, so a smaller one will take some getting used to, but it's not small by any means, especially given the fact that there's the battery and spare under there. Depends on your needs I guess, but even if we had a child I don't think we'd struggle for space if we utilised it all. 2 kids AND a dog might be a squeeze but still doable probably!

We can fit a dog crate that's got the following dimensions; 53.5 x 49 x 77cm in the boot with space at either side for a smaller carry-on suitcase or overnight bag...So you'd easily get two or 3 large suitcases without the parcel shelf in if it's packed properly. Plus there's plenty of space in the back as well, which is nice.

Speaking of the parcel shelf, one thing I absolutely love, is the fact that you can fold it and there's a space to pack it away under the floor in the boot - it's silly what pleases, but this is just something that not a lot of manufacturers would think of, but saves having to chuck it in the back or keep it in the house. The aforementioned space saver is a nice (standard) addition too as so many cars come with a repair kit these days.

I'm sure I'll find negatives, but I've not found one yet! The MPG saga remains to be seen - but it was delivered with 12 miles on the clock a full tank of petrol and showing a range of 535 miles. I believe the tank is 50 litres..so If I get anywhere between 450-535 miles out of a full tank, I'll be pleased as punch as this won't be much different to our Mondeo which was giving us around an average of 600 miles out of a 70 litre tank.

White was the wife's choice (it was going to be black or white)...and I'm glad she got her way - the pearlescent paint job is absolutely STUNNING.

More updates (and photos, if people want them) to follow for those that are interested.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great write up keep it coming. Reviews stated the ride felt every bump so interesting to hear your different findings. Looks great.

Ah yes...forgot to mention the ride. It's certainly not the smoothest ride I've ever experienced....BUT it's not anywhere near as bad as the reviews make out. For me, having come from a Mondeo MkIV with Sports suspension and 18" low profile wheels - even the smallest pot hole made it feel like you'd buckled the wheels - so for me the ride in the NX is like driving on a cloud in comparison.

Perfectly acceptable in my opinion, and I can't say I've noticed "every bump" in the two short journeys I've had so far. I'm sure there are cars of similar ilk with a better ride, but none that would match the comfort and convenience of the interior. Words can't express how nice it feels to be in the cabin.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well that sounds cracking mpg for an auto. Must admit auto is a fantastic drive imo

It's the first tank, so I don't want to get too carried away. All reports from reviews and owners alike is that it doesn't achieve anything close to the 54mpg(ish) combined that's advertised (what car does achieve it's reported MPG???)...and some report MPG as low as 28-29mpg (which I find staggering - BUT, despite the hybrid element it IS a 2.5 litre petrol car for all intents and purposes)...

it's a 50 litre tank - so as I said, I'll be happy averaging 450ish miles out of the 535 mile range it's reporting (trying to temper my expectations!)...but if I can eek 500+ miles out of a tank, then I'm really not going to have many complaints.

The hybrid system really came into it's own this morning when I was stuck in nose-to-tail traffic coming through Gloucester after dropping the dog off at day boarding...Was basically in EV mode for the majority of it, except when getting up to 25-30mph, when the petrol engine kicks in..It's all so seamless and effortless though! And the auto box is smooth as silk. Not had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet, so can't comment on the "CVT whine" that's been commented on in various reviews - but I can't say I really noticed anything bad about it when I was ragging the demo model round the B-roads the other week.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a great start - the GPS on the Sat Nav wouldn't work for some reason. Put in a call to my friendly local Lexus dealer (aka Dad) and he picked the car up from my house this morning and left me with a courtesy car to use whilst he takes it in to get sorted...so can't complain too much. Probably (hopefully) just something that wasn't enabled or set up correctly.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Turns out it was a loose connection which was sorted immediately with barrels of apologies from all the guys at Lexus...

Everything else is still so far so good. Absolute dreamboat of a car. MPG is creeping up slowly. Annoyingly topped up the tank for my wife's trip up north this weekend - range was 550 miles, so we'll see how much we get out of a full tank...MPG since taking delivery has crept up from 13.5mpg (lol) to around 35mpg now.

Oh, I put it in Sport Mode last night....it certainly shifts if you want it to! And the "eco dial" (which shows whethet you're charging, driving economically or using "power") switches to a standard Tacho rev counter...It's the little things :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice, unexpected bonus arrived in the post today....Apparently with every Lexus purchase, you get Lexus Roadside Assistance/Breakdown cover included for you and (if you register them) a named partner. This, I presume is for the term of the PCP agreement we have. Didn't expect this, so it's nice to have it.

True MPG reality check this weekend - filled the car on Friday and the Range was 550 miles. Wife did a 300 mile round trip and the range was now stating just over 100 miles....so we ended up getting about 400 miles out of a full tank, which equates to 32mpg for that trip (and car is reading 37.2 average since collecting the car)...BUT it should be noted that we are still learning how to efficiently drive a hybrid auto...so I expect this to go up....and it's actually not a huge difference between what were were actually getting from our 2.0L diesel Mondeo Mk4 - about 37mpg (as opposed to the 45mpg average for the life of our ownership that it was telling us)...so I'm not too upset as it's a.) heavy and b.) petrol and c.) not as aerodynamic.

I'll post some updates once it has more than the current 500 miles on the ODO, but still overall really happy with the car. The adaptive cruise control is ridiculously convenient.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd recommend doing a brim to brim check rather than relying on the trip computer or range left. Range left alters all over the place depending on style of driving. After plenty of checks my trip computer has settled down and is around 2-3mpg optimistic. Previous cars have been up to 5mpg optimistic. You need to know how your trip computer works, how accurate it is.

People on the Volvo forum that have ACC state they could never have a car without it after having one with it. It's a bit like xenons. Never had it myself as it is too expensive an option but hopefully it will start to come down in price and even become standard. Keep the reviews coming.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd recommend doing a brim to brim check rather than relying on the trip computer or range left. Range left alters all over the place depending on style of driving. After plenty of checks my trip computer has settled down and is around 2-3mpg optimistic. Previous cars have been up to 5mpg optimistic. You need to know how your trip computer works, how accurate it is.

People on the Volvo forum that have ACC state they could never have a car without it after having one with it. It's a bit like xenons. Never had it myself as it is too expensive an option but hopefully it will start to come down in price and even become standard. Keep the reviews coming.

Yea, those numbers are worked out on actual mileage on full tank capacity (using the tank capacity to help calculate) to just about empty..I'm not brave enough to do actual brim to brim :D...Not great numbers, but the car has only done 500 miles, as I said, and I'm still learning how to efficiently drive an auto!

The best advert for the ACC is that my wife absolutely loves it, and she was very anti-cruise control until very recently. Said it was so good having it at the weekend for all the motorway driving she did.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been to the Forest Pines meet and back in a 2.4l petrol old man's Volvo at motorway speeds and returned 38.4 mpg (fill up to fill up). 3.5 hours for 190 mile trip

Is this acceptable????

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been to the Forest Pines meet and back in a 2.4l petrol old man's Volvo at motorway speeds and returned 38.4 mpg (fill up to fill up). 3.5 hours for 190 mile trip

Is this acceptable????

I know you're probably being facetious...but yes, it is. :thup: Volvo's tend to weigh a tonne (and have the turning circle of a container ship, which is why I will probably never buy one).