Boarding the loft

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
sorry for the misundrstanding... the loft currently has about 250mm glasswool insulation by the prev owner in 2009. The architect was saying, rather than simply compressing it, add 2 inch of Cellotex board and then put cross ply.
I paid upstairs a visit... i am now wondering if I should bother since it will eat up most of the headroom. But i was thinking all the solar battery and electrics could go on the far wall...

View attachment 48950
We had a company looking at ours and with 1,50m hight they said it was too low and not worth it.
Your roof looks roomier than ours, though. On ours they couldn’t even fit a hatch with attached ladder.

We also thought about inverter and battery then, but we possibly have a better solution outside which is also much more accessible when needing to.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had a company looking at ours and with 1,50m hight they said it was too low and not worth it.
Your roof looks roomier than ours, though. On ours they couldn’t even fit a hatch with attached ladder.

We also thought about inverter and battery then, but we possibly have a better solution outside which is also much more accessible when needing to.
I am just under 6'.... I can comfortably stand in the middle bit and about half a foot either way.... after that it is starts falling off... so it depends on how high the floor will be raised

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
But i was thinking all the solar battery and electrics could go on the far wall...
This comment is nothing to do with how to board the loft, but about your solar plans.

When I was considering a battery, some installers I contacted said they weren't prepared to put it in the loft due to the fire risk. We've all heard stories about Lithium batteries shorting out and bursting into flames - perhaps they have a point?

Also, when I had solar panels in the previous house, I was advised that the loft isn't the best place for an inverter as it gets so hot in summer, and overheating the inverter could shorten its life. It ended up in the garage. It was an SMA 4kW Sunny Boy. Perhaps modern inverters are more resilient?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This comment is nothing to do with how to board the loft, but about your solar plans.

When I was considering a battery, some installers I contacted said they weren't prepared to put it in the loft due to the fire risk. We've all heard stories about Lithium batteries shorting out and bursting into flames - perhaps they have a point?

Also, when I had solar panels in the previous house, I was advised that the loft isn't the best place for an inverter as it gets so hot in summer, and overheating the inverter could shorten its life. It ended up in the garage. It was an SMA 4kW Sunny Boy. Perhaps modern inverters are more resilient?

@pauljames87 out of curiosity, where did u put ur solar kit?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a carpenter come around and he mentioned loft legs rather than cross batten. another thing that came up in my social.. looks interesing

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a carpenter come around and he mentioned loft legs rather than cross batten. another thing that came up in my social.. looks interesing

We had one of their installers around to measure and quote, he was the guy who said our loft is too low for it. But the system seems ace if it works for you.
We still got their local installer to do our insulation.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had one of their installers around to measure and quote, he was the guy who said our loft is too low for it. But the system seems ace if it works for you.
We still got their local installer to do our insulation.
Do you know what kind of money they cost?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately I don’t have a quote including the boarding, just without.

Best I can remember is that the 1st initial educated guess they gave us before the survey visit was somewhere between £1k and £1.2k, but I could be wrong here.

I guess it was £500 to £700 for the boarding installed, based on us ending to pay £430 for laying insulation and removing the old water tank, and £110 for a proper hatch taken out because they couldn’t fit it.

We inquired with Instaloft which are an approved supplier on the Loftzone web page.