Sparky question.. socket in loft

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Change the switched fused connection faceplate for one with a flex outlet. Buy a switched extension. Take the plug off and wire the flex into the fused connection. Job jobbed!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because of how cold lofts get and boiler frost stats kick in at about 8 degrees generally so the boiler is running when it would not be in a warmer room such as a kitchen.

Next door when the house was being renovated the plumbers put the boiler in the garage and it was firing up 24 hours a day with nobody living in the house.

Judging by the shear number of unlagged water pipes in your loft I guess it must be pretty warm in there any way.

IIRC, the boiler has a frost protection... I had to look up and the manual says so to

1605220745206.png

Re our loft.. it can get bitterly cold since the gables are not insulated. The floor of the loft is insulated. When it snows, we do have the boiler pack up. I think this is more because of the outlets from the boiler which drain outside of the property freezes up. I cant lag it as it is 2 stories high . The boiler stops working and that is the error code that i get on the panel. Has happened twice in 4 years since we had the boiler in - both when we had a fair bit of snow.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Speaking to our boiler engineer tomorrow. The boiler is due for a service. Will see if he can run a spur for me as a side hustle.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
IIRC, the boiler has a frost protection... I had to look up and the manual says so to

View attachment 33525

Re our loft.. it can get bitterly cold since the gables are not insulated. The floor of the loft is insulated. When it snows, we do have the boiler pack up. I think this is more because of the outlets from the boiler which drain outside of the property freezes up. I cant lag it as it is 2 stories high . The boiler stops working and that is the error code that i get on the panel. Has happened twice in 4 years since we had the boiler in - both when we had a fair bit of snow.
That's the down side of only insulating loft floors , that reduces the heat getting into the loft. IMO you should insulate the rafters, eves and walls inside.
But the experts will be along shortly (y)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's the down side of only insulating loft floors , that reduces the heat getting into the loft. IMO you should insulate the rafters, eves and walls inside.
But the experts will be along shortly (y)

I think i will agree with you on this.. that is my theory talking. The floor insulation in the loft came with the house, so not much we can do with it. Also fairly difficult to remove it - it is bales of fibreglass that is standing on top of some aggregates/shingles. Also there are no floor boards up there (expect those supporting the boiler area)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't there a mains flex that goes into transformer, then a outgoing flex that plugs into the actual router ?

Dont know... all i have seen is the video so far.. Will let you know once i buy it. my virgin box, is similar to what u describe.. main - flex - xformer - flex - router

You would only need a small hole to pass the power jack through from the loft. Leaving the “power brick” above.

Would it reduce the efficiency of the router too much if you just mounted it in the loft?

Thats the current plan.. just drop a little bit of cable to reach the router underneath. Router in the loft is something i have given a bit of thought. I think it will have the same challenge as having a router downstairs.
Having said that, i am going to give it a try for a few days.. see how the signal goes. before we start drilling around.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Dont know... all i have seen is the video so far.. Will let you know once i buy it. my virgin box, is similar to what u describe.. main - flex - xformer - flex - router

Thats the current plan.. just drop a little bit of cable to reach the router underneath. Router in the loft is something i have given a bit of thought. I think it will have the same challenge as having a router downstairs.
Having said that, i am going to give it a try for a few days.. see how the signal goes. before we start drilling around.

I had a quick scroll through the video you posted. Tbh it’s not the sort of thing I would want on my ceiling. It’s big and black and with the Aeriels extended it might look like some massive spider! ?