Acoustics in Open Plan living

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are planning to take a wall down to create an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. This will includes some updates to 15+ yr old appliances. One of my biggest bug bears of open plan living is the acoustics. When the kitchen hood is switched on, you can bearly hear the TV. Our hood is old, so i am going to find a lower decibel hood. Even then, the noise bouncing off hard floor, kitchen cabinets/worktop etc, can over power the TV. Anyone looked into doing anyting with sound damping?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are planning to take a wall down to create an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. This will includes some updates to 15+ yr old appliances. One of my biggest bug bears of open plan living is the acoustics. When the kitchen hood is switched on, you can bearly hear the TV. Our hood is old, so i am going to find a lower decibel hood. Even then, the noise bouncing off hard floor, kitchen cabinets/worktop etc, can over power the TV. Anyone looked into doing anyting with sound damping?

maybe a partition of some sorts, like a wall, between the kitchen and the living space? ;)

personally never been a fan of cooker hoods (partly from hitting my head on the corners in the past and a ludicrous up and down one we fitted in a prev house), personally would look to put a decent inline fan in the ceiling above

as many machines as possible in a separate (utility) room optimal too

RichA

Visit site
As long as the extractor vents to the outside, rather than being the type that just soaks up the vapour, you shouldn't ever need it on anything but the lowest speed. It's normally knackered motors and poorly assembled housings that make the racket.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
As long as the extractor vents to the outside, rather than being the type that just soaks up the vapour, you shouldn't ever need it on anything but the lowest speed. It's normally knackered motors and poorly assembled housings that make the racket.

This. Even better if you can mount a fan externally.

Use rigid ductwork. Even better if you can acoustically insulate it.