Loft insulation.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back to the old diy again unfortunately.

I'm looking at boarding the loft over the winter for extra storage and making it slightly more heat efficient, I've just poked my head in there for a quick measure and noticed the gap between the existing insulation (which seems quite thin) and the top of the joists is only about 50-60mm. What are my options to make her nice and cosy?
Rip out the old insulation and replace it with 100mm stuff?
Increase the floor height with either those feet extension things or new beams screwed above the existing?
Or none of the above?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would go with replacing the old with new 100mm insulation, then using loft board just screw to the joists, the weight of the boards will compact the insulation if required

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ta, I've read you're not supposed to compact the insulation, is it Ballcocks?

It works by trapping a layer of air if I remember correctly, the more you compress it, the less air content hence less effective.

And whatever you do wear gloves, long sleeves & safety glasses, it's horrible stuff to work with.

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Get yourself some cheap disposable painters overalls, latex gloves and a decent p3 mask. The old stuff is horrendous

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
the latest stuff dosent need all that protection ,i worked with it day in day out and its not itchy like the old stuff [fibre glass]
wear a mask as it is still a little dusty ,but nothing like the old gear.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The house was converted from an old police station some years ago (50s or 60s I'm led to believe) so the existing insulation may be quite old. Should it be a concern if I'm handling it?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The house was converted from an old police station some years ago (50s or 60s I'm led to believe) so the existing insulation may be quite old. Should it be a concern if I'm handling it?

It's just itchy due to it being glass fibre, long sleeve top, gloves and maybe a mask for the dust you will be fine.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You could replace with new 100mm insulation but it would still be nowhere near current regs of 300mm. Depends how bothered you are, you could send some timber the opposite way to your joists and get an extra 100-200mm depending on what size joists you use.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could replace with new 100mm insulation but it would still be nowhere near current regs of 300mm. Depends how bothered you are, you could send some timber the opposite way to your joists and get an extra 100-200mm depending on what size joists you use.

One for the future that mate when it will be done right. I left the existing insulation in even though I bought 3 rolls myself and have boarded over most of the largest section. Need 3 more packs of boards to finish that bit off.
I also got some of that reflective stuff to put in between roof beams but i need a staple gun to fit it.
Found couple of strange looking things hanging from a bit of loose roof cover stuff, look like mini nests of summat. How big are wasps nests? These are about the size of a duck egg.