Letting people through while in a comp?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
May as well start another as this happened to me quite recently.

We couldn't play in a comp the other week so my regular PP and me decided to go out afterwards for our usual unfriendly matchplay game :D.
The course was empty behind the final group so we'd caught them up by around the 5th or 6th hole, by this time they had lost 2 clear holes on the group in front. They were proper painful to watch, 30 practice swings, never ready to play a shot, bags left in front of the greens, a whole array of slow play skills were on show.
Are we allowed to be let through even though we'd effectively be in the middle of a comp?
We didn't bother asking as we walked off after 11 anyway, a combination of bad weather and extremely slow play, plus I've heard numerous members say competitions always have priority on the course.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, yes, and most defenitely yes

They must maintain pace of play
Or step aside and let you play through

The comp has no bearing on good manners and etiquette
They still apply

D

Deleted member 23270

At my club we have a booking sheet online. Anyone can book a time on a medal day without obligation to enter the competition so you often get a mix of games out on the course so I would say yes, etiquette (speed of play) wins in a case like this. If it was a major competition like club champs and all the games in front were in the competition then I guess you could possibly argue the case about letting someone through depending on what rules the committee have put in place.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We quite often call 'general' players through when we are in a comp, if they are faster than us (which they often will be if they don't have to find lost balls, putt out etc) and if there is clear space ahead

Unless there's a specific club rule it'd be pretty selfish not to!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As mentioned on another thread I was in a 4BBB comp on Saturday, last group off. There was a gap between our group and the one ahead of us so we let 3 x 2 balls not in the comp through. Only an absolute jobsworth would not do the same in my eyes. Comp or not, we play for fun, same as the blokes we let through.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Never heard of a group in a comp calling a casually playing group behind them through at our place. It is just not done. I think the reason is that it will further slow down the group playing in the comp, and since it is common practice in Germany to have the award presentation directly after the comp, all the other players will be sitting around and desperately waiting for the last group to finally come in. If it is a big comp with a hundred players or so (not that common, but we have about 4 of those every year), that means you might have started your round at 9 o'clock in the morning, probably came off the course a about 1 pm, but will have to wait around till 6 or 7 pm until the last group finally comes back to the clubhouse (there are always a few who leave early anyway, especialy if they have played badly and have no chance to be in the prizes anyway, but it is considered bad style and somewhat rude). I think that's why playing through for non-comp players is just not happening. Becasue that would add an extra few minutes here and there, and if you are playing in a comp, your responsibility is towards your fellow competitors slightly more than to other people playing behind. There's no official rule against it, of course, and I think, if the last comp group was held up searching for a ball or something, they should let faster non-comp groups through. But never heard of it happening.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're not in the Comp, you shouldn't be anywhere near the people playing in the Comp.......go back and replay the holes you've already played.
You're playing for fun and not worried about making a score, back off and leave them to it.
People who go out last in a Comp do so for a reason.......to not have to worry about others pushing them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were last in a comp as some of my pp were travelling a distance. No skin off our nose to let people through. I don't see why playing a comp gives you priority.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're not in the Comp, you shouldn't be anywhere near the people playing in the Comp.......go back and replay the holes you've already played.
You're playing for fun and not worried about making a score, back off and leave them to it.
People who go out last in a Comp do so for a reason.......to not have to worry about others pushing them.

this is the reason why golf clubs struggle in my opinion. we are all playing for fun unless you happen to be fortunate enough to be a pro.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because you're playing in a comp doesn't mean you own the course. If I'm playing a friendly game with a pp I would like to play the course, not the first 4 holes and turn around and play the same holes again. What if other players are following us up or are on the 1st if we were to take you're advice. What do I pay my membership fees for? If your in a comp you should still play at an acceptable pace. Not 2 holes behind

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Because you're playing in a comp doesn't mean you own the course. If I'm playing a friendly game with a pp I would like to play the course, not the first 4 holes and turn around and play the same holes again. What if other players are following us up or are on the 1st if we were to take you're advice. What do I pay my membership fees for? If your in a comp you should still play at an acceptable pace. Not 2 holes behind

Why would you want to play a sociable game on a Comp day anyway:confused:
You know the course will be full of Golfers trying to make a score and hopefully being able to concentrate on that without some inconsiderate players who are out for a friendly knock trying to force their way through them.:whistle:
I don't get it, I really don't.:rolleyes:

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You know the course will be full of Golfers trying to make a score and hopefully being able to concentrate on that without some inconsiderate players who are out for a friendly knock trying to force their way through them.:whistle:

Because maybe it's the only time that week I can get out for a game. Slow play is killing golf. Why you find it ok is beyond me. Comps don't pay mortgages or bills. It's still just a game of golf

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Oh dear this is a selfish attitude. Surely good manners over-rules any two bit competition. Unless the course is 'closed' to other players they have every right to expect to be treated with full respect.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Because maybe it's the only time that week I can get out for a game. Slow play is killing golf. Why you find it ok is beyond me. Comps don't pay mortgages or bills. It's still just a game of golf

Why not enter the Comp then?

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh dear this is a selfish attitude. Surely good manners over-rules any two bit competition. Unless the course is 'closed' to other players they have every right to expect to be treated with full respect.

Why is it?
You've got 150 people going out in a Comp (in Summer) all looking to perhaps lower their h'caps or win something from the Comp, so they will be trying and concentrating to that end, you and C&R rock up for a knock just as the last group are going out,(at ours, there is a 4 teetimes slot difference before non Comp players can go out, after the final group), and are then pushing them for the whole round.
Who's selfish now?

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why is it?
You've got 150 people going out in a Comp (in Summer) all looking to perhaps lower their h'caps or win something from the Comp, so they will be trying and concentrating to that end, you and C&R rock up for a knock just as the last group are going out,(at ours, there is a 4 teetimes slot difference before non Comp players can go out, after the final group), and are then pushing them for the whole round.
Who's selfish now?

ok Rory stenson. You go girl😂

They were 2 holes behind the group in front Really? Come on. Comp or no comp. they should get on with it

Last edited: