Less fashionable brands

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My only gripe with my 588's was the stick shaft, which I think was a little on the light side, 85g ?
The set I linked has a shaft upgrade ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think I recall I guy who was on the forum for a bit, had a full set of Dunlops, loved those gecko grips. Was a lower handicap than I'll ever reach!

It’s nice to see if I’m honest. I can remember thinking to myself “ my shoes are worth more than this guys complete set up yet he’s no doubt forgotten more than I’ll ever learn “

He’s creativity with shots was immense

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My only gripe with my 588's was the stick shaft, which I think was a little on the light side, 85g ?
The set I linked has a shaft upgrade ?
Yeah that shaft was a bit marmite. I actually had nippons in mine, but did pick up the gap wedge later in the stock and found it fine - maybe because a short shaft.
Sorry OP, drifting off topic ?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't do it. I sold my G15's for shiny new clubs and have regretted it ever since. I'm a high handicaper, still am, play for fun (sometimes) and I've realised that my G15's were perfect. Spend your money on playing a few decent course's, new shoes/bag etc.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Don't do it. I sold my G15's for shiny new clubs and have regretted it ever since. I'm a high handicaper, still am, play for fun (sometimes) and I've realised that my G15's were perfect. Spend your money on playing a few decent course's, new shoes/bag etc.
Do you mind if i ask what you replaced the g15s with ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I added the Wilson Staff D7 iron into the bag in august after being fitted by our pro!

Overall summery - lovely bit of kit. No worse than my mates brand new pings in my opinion, fully fitted, fraction of the cost. Look great in the bag and feel quality. Sweet spot strikes just fly.

I however, am not seeing all the benefits of "strong lofts". Distances seem to have remained similar to with my old irons. Ive read others saying that they've seen 10+ yards additional to their 7 iron but not sure how true that is!

D

Deleted member 18588

Bronty........one for the oldies. ;)
Serious question Doon, did they make anything other than putters and chippers?

I had a Bronty putter in the seventies but I cannot recall ever seeing any irons by them.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don’t know what your standard is but I doubt you’ll see massive improvement in from the quality of Pings to a newer version of Wilson’s.

I played with a guy once who had a battered old set of Slazenger’s with brand new grips on every year, played off 2 and proper fizzed the ball.

Point of the story?? The kit doesn’t really matter until you’re consistently striking the ball.

Good lessons and lots of practice will help better than a new set of sticks.

Good luck.

Exactly this.

I came back to golf a couple years ago. And got some new irons.
Now I'm playing some old blades from the loft.
But, what was an eye opener, is that last year some old work acquaintance ( late sixties)also came back to the game at my club. I played a round with him.
I had my new clubs. But I couldn't believe what he had. They were ancient, scruffy in an old bag.
His driver was almost persimmon size head. It was metal but really small and he teed it up just a bit.
A year later he is off 7. Still using the same clubs!
Makes you sick, doesn't it??
He was a good golfer in his youth, and with practice, he got it back.
It's the archer, not the bow and arrow

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Serious question Doon, did they make anything other than putters and chippers?

I had a Bronty putter in the seventies but I cannot recall ever seeing any irons by them.

• B100
  • Bronty CB
  • Classic Pro 17-4
  • International
  • International BG
  • Mach 1
  • Matchwinner
  • Regency
  • Rustler
  • Rustler AS
  • Silver Fox
  • Spectre
  • Tournament
Maybe they were more common around their Yorkshire heartland.
I've got a set of the Tournament model.
1610012915337.png

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I always liked my Wilson’s. Their mid handicap (c range) were better weighted for me. The key is to get properly fitted for them. My last set were too long from American golf.