Less fashionable brands

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Happy new year all...
Im thinking of selling my ping g15s, full set irons and woods for some newer tech....... was thinking gmax, g400 or 410 etc but ive been looking at cheaper clubs.
Now i'm no brand snob so anything that helps, i like the look of and is good value is good for me.
Ive been looking at the wilson d300, d7s and the cleveland launcher cbx irons and i like the look, sound and value for money these seem to offer.
I dont use fairway woods or hybrids so just the irons and driver is all i want.
Does anyone have any educated opinions on any of these clubs and be kind enough to share.
Much appreciated to anyone who responds, thanks

D

Deleted member 1740

I don’t know what your standard is but I doubt you’ll see massive improvement in from the quality of Pings to a newer version of Wilson’s.

I played with a guy once who had a battered old set of Slazenger’s with brand new grips on every year, played off 2 and proper fizzed the ball.

Point of the story?? The kit doesn’t really matter until you’re consistently striking the ball.

Good lessons and lots of practice will help better than a new set of sticks.

Good luck.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wilson make some of the best forged better player irons out there, I played a set for about 3 years and loved them. Not sure what their GI stuff is like but the reviews are very good. I have just moved into a set of Cleveland UHX launcher irons from Titleist AP2'S, some would think I'm a bit crazy as they are quite chunky in the longer irons but I absolutely love them, they are so easy to hit and have the milled grinds like their wedges and the shorter irons are as nice as anything out there.

I think certain brands get a name of being unfashionable just because they don't throw buckets of money at tour players like Taylormade and Callaway do but they still make fantastic equipment.

I certainly would have no qualms about putting either brand in my bag as I have one of them right now and have had the other in the past

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t know what your standard is but I doubt you’ll see massive improvement in from the quality of Pings to a newer version of Wilson’s.

I played with a guy once who had a battered old set of Slazenger’s with brand new grips on every year, played off 2 and proper fizzed the ball.

Point of the story?? The kit doesn’t really matter until you’re consistently striking the ball.

Good lessons and lots of practice will help better than a new set of sticks.

Good luck.

As above, played with a guy who had lost everything in a divorce. He bought a set of Dunlop irons & hybrid and putter from sports direct at £2.50 a club... YES £2.50 per club!!! his mate gave him an old stand bag and 5-6 year old cally driver. All clubs were stand regular reflex although based on the irons played more like senior flex.

We played off the blocks on a mega windy day and he shot 2 over!

D

Deleted member 1740

Stuart.... thanks for the advice, i fully understand everything you say, i just fancy some newer tech, im a high handicapper btw.
Hammertoe... thanks also for your insight which is very interesting. It would be the GI irons for me.

We all do mate, its the cure for all faults ??

Before you splash the cash, just try a few lessons, and don’t be fooled by the GI marketing. There’s plenty of clubs out there, try as many as you can. Don’t be afraid of buying 2nd hand neither.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a bag with 12 Cleveland clubs a couple of years back and they make good drivers, irons, wedges and putters and these are right up there in quality and performance. I won some GI Ping irons and have been using these for a couple of years, but have kept the Clevelands and intend to go back to them as my game improves.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play Cleveland CG16 irons and I love them. I got them from new so they must be about 9 years old.
I’ve got enough money put aside for a new set and often find myself looking, but I haven’t hit any yet.
Due to their age the 7 iron head flew off recently, (rust related). However a club fitter at my club put a replacement shaft in, although not identical. I’m now considering just getting the rest of the irons reshafted.
This would save me about £600 compared to buying new.
I’m striking the Cleveland’s well enough, so part of my thinks if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Mike79

Visit site
Got my Titleist 755 irons back in 2007. They do look a bit aged now, but I still like their feel. Regripped them a couple of times and won’t change them for a while yet. In the short term I’d rather put £300 towards half a dozen lessons to see improvement

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
They dont scream high handicapper to me but do seem a bargain but i know nothing about them.
Yeah, the 588s came in TT, MT & Altitude. TT were at the players end of game improver (I had a set for 3 years, around 12 to 10 hcp). You could blend clubs from each into a mixed set if you wanted. If urging for something shiny maybe a little old, but if you came a across some MTs.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I have benross wedges and i love em !!

Can certainly vouch for benross gear. I've got a bag full (as per sig) and they're great. Sneaking up in price atm though, it would appear so not perhaps quite as appealing as they were as a brand 2/3 years ago?

I've got HTX series stuff (2016 release), a mate has compressor type r irons (2018 I think) and they're brilliant, too. It's definitely my talent that is holding the clubs back, than the other way round!

BubbaP

Visit site
As above, played with a guy who had lost everything in a divorce. He bought a set of Dunlop irons & hybrid and putter from sports direct at £2.50 a club... YES £2.50 per club!!! his mate gave him an old stand bag and 5-6 year old cally driver. All clubs were stand regular reflex although based on the irons played more like senior flex.

We played off the blocks on a mega windy day and he shot 2 over!
Think I recall I guy who was on the forum for a bit, had a full set of Dunlops, loved those gecko grips. Was a lower handicap than I'll ever reach!

BubbaP

Visit site

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, the 588s came in TT, MT & Altitude. TT were at the players end of game improver (I had a set for 3 years, around 12 to 10 hcp). You could blend clubs from each into a mixed set if you wanted. If urging for something shiny maybe a little old, but if you came a across some MTs.

I had the TT's for a few years, went from 22 to 18, plenty forgiving imo.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What makes the difference between the brands you mention and other well known makes is often just the difference spent on playing pros and marketing.

My last experience of Wilson dates back to the CI7 and the FG Tours the former I thought were as good anything I think Harrington has some in the make of his combo set. The FG tours were forged and I thought the chrome 'aged' a bit prematurely.

Only one experience of Cleveland (Srixon) clubs some time they were great, 588TTs. I have never see a set of theirs I would not try. Love the wedges.