irons upgrade

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I haven't got this straight, I'm sure. Perhaps you could enlighten me further.
Is it the case that,

Clubs made before 2010 that do not conform to the 2010 groove specifications can continue to be used in non-elite amateur club events unless the committee introduces a local rule to not allow them to be used.
And a change to this approach, should it happen, will be given a 4-year lead in. A "new" R&A decision could occur in 2024.

So I can continue to use my non- compliant 2010 groove-rule Ping i10 irons and Eye2 irons in club competitions unless my club introduces a local rule to stop anyone from using non-compliant 2010 groove-rule irons that were manufactured before 2010.

Any post-2010 made non-compliant 2010 groove rule irons are per-se illegal clubs for all.

That is what I have gleaned, but I may be very wide of the mark.

My take on it is, that it's a nonsense for handicap golfers.
I play irons that are non conforming in competitions; non parallel grooves, punch dot faces that don't exactly meet the spacing requirements.

The way I look at it is, if a hollow bodied, hot faced iron with multi-materials to aid forgiveness is perfectly legal, then some very worn grooves that aren't quite parallel won't be giving me an unfair advantage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't got this straight, I'm sure. Perhaps you could enlighten me further.
Is it the case that,

Clubs made before 2010 that do not conform to the 2010 groove specifications can continue to be used in non-elite amateur club events unless the committee introduces a local rule to not allow them to be used.
And a change to this approach, should it happen, will be given a 4-year lead in. A "new" R&A decision could occur in 2024.

So I can continue to use my non- compliant 2010 groove-rule Ping i10 irons and Eye2 irons in club competitions unless my club introduces a local rule to stop anyone from using non-compliant 2010 groove-rule irons that were manufactured before 2010.

Any post-2010 made non-compliant 2010 groove rule irons are per-se illegal clubs for all.

That is what I have gleaned, but I may be very wide of the mark.

Yes that is now my understanding.

Where I read the guidelines (USGA) one comment was that they did not expect players be using clubs that are 15 years old in 2024.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My take on it is, that it's a nonsense for handicap golfers.
I play irons that are non conforming in competitions; non parallel grooves, punch dot faces that don't exactly meet the spacing requirements.

The way I look at it is, if a hollow bodied, hot faced iron with multi-materials to aid forgiveness is perfectly legal, then some very worn grooves that aren't quite parallel won't be giving me an unfair advantage.
The way you played yesterday...I'm shopping you in Buddy...... :ROFLMAO: ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Furthermore, shouldn't anyone purchasing a set of irons 10 years younger than their current set, be required to submit 20 general play scores before being allowed to play in club competitions?
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
This would include me, of course.