Leicester Lockdown ?

D

Deleted member 21258

Thank you. That seems to show that the rise is Doncaster was 29 in the second week from the DM figures rather than 32 (data doesn't go back far enough to see the full previous week). Using the second link it shows Leicester as 36 new cases, rather than the 41 in the DM article. So my question would be where has the 944 new cases figure for Leicester come from? This is a massive difference in the numbers.

To be honest I don't really read the main newspapers, as their summarys and twisiting is not my cuppa of tea. So pass on the figures you quote and if I would trust them:oops:

That data above is taken from the governments website :-

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.77500629.1570535821.1593424156-625179317.1538567292

As you will note from the above 'Includes tests carried out by commercial partners which are not included in the 4 National totals', as mentioned in my previous post not all results are included.

So unless you are called Matt Hancock and can get the internal test commercial results(which may well be a bit of a pain even for government, if I had to guess...), that's it, no more data available as far as I know:LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Eid was over 5 weeks ago and, in any event, much of the South Asian population of Leicester is Hindu and Sikh rather than Muslim.

Apologies, been a while since I lived there (OK guessing my memory may be a bit hazy as I moved out of Leicester in 1995) only get back for Tigers matches every now any again now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been hearing quite a few from Leicester today making it clear that it's not just been the BAME community in the city and around who have been ignoring guidance and partying away of late. Implication being that what is happening in Leicester today - that has been developing for over two weeks - could happen in any town or city in the country. And it seems that the authorities in Leicester - never mind the people - were unprepared for what was announced yesterday - certainly did not expect the imminency of the measures being reapplied.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Eid was over 5 weeks ago and, in any event, much of the South Asian population of Leicester is Hindu and Sikh rather than Muslim.
Over the past seven years that I’ve worked in Leicester the majority of my work colleagues of South Asian origin have been Muslim - many of whose families went to East Africa or Malawi and later came to the UK. Whether this has any bearing at all on the current cases is pure speculation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the past seven years that I’ve worked in Leicester the majority of my work colleagues of South Asian origin have been Muslim - many of whose families went to East Africa or Malawi and later came to the UK. Whether this has any bearing at all on the current cases is pure speculation.

Totally agree, and did not mean anything by it over and above one possible event that could cause contact between an increased number of people.

D

Deleted member 18588

In my experience the majority that settled in Leicester from East Africa were of Hindu origin.

Obviously there is a strong Muslim community but proportionally I would expect it to be less than it is in cities like Birmingham and Bradford.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thank you. That seems to show that the rise is Doncaster was 29 in the second week from the DM figures rather than 32 (data doesn't go back far enough to see the full previous week). Using the second link it shows Leicester as 36 new cases, rather than the 41 in the DM article. So my question would be where has the 944 new cases figure for Leicester come from? This is a massive difference in the numbers.

Leicester City Council said the latest figures obtained by the authority showed that 3,216 Covid-19 cases had been confirmed in the city since the start of the epidemic. "Of these, 944 cases were reported in the last two weeks," a spokesman said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leicester City Council said the latest figures obtained by the authority showed that 3,216 Covid-19 cases had been confirmed in the city since the start of the epidemic. "Of these, 944 cases were reported in the last two weeks," a spokesman said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371

What this effectively means is that the figures being released to the public are completely useless, so what's the point in having such misleading figures out there. There's a massive difference between 70/80 cases in a two week period and the actual value of 944. And that's without even taking into account that the higher figures might not include Pillar 2 test results.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been hearing quite a few from Leicester today making it clear that it's not just been the BAME community in the city and around who have been ignoring guidance and partying away of late. Implication being that what is happening in Leicester today - that has been developing for over two weeks - could happen in any town or city in the country. And it seems that the authorities in Leicester - never mind the people - were unprepared for what was announced yesterday - certainly did not expect the imminency of the measures being reapplied.

and that along with everything is is totally Bojos fault, the dirty charlatan!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
What this effectively means is that the figures being released to the public are completely useless, so what's the point in having such misleading figures out there. There's a massive difference between 70/80 cases in a two week period and the actual value of 944. And that's without even taking into account that the higher figures might not include Pillar 2 test results.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Which people always have and always will use to prove their particular point. Suspect the 2 linked sources are not comparing like for like, as for whatever reason that seems to be impossible in the current crisis. I'm sure the figures the Daily Fail used are correct in some interpretation of the stats somewhere. But then again you have no sympathy from me for using the Daily Fail as evidence. ;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Which people always have and always will use to prove their particular point. Suspect the 2 linked sources are not comparing like for like, as for whatever reason that seems to be impossible in the current crisis. I'm sure the figures the Daily Fail used are correct in some interpretation of the stats somewhere. But then again you have no sympathy from me for using the Daily Fail as evidence. ;)

The only reason I can see for having the lower figures in the public domain are to make it look like the government is handling this better than they are. Surely they wouldn't be massaging the figures and trying to hoodwink the public. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 18588

Serious stuff now.

Whilst our Club is outside the limits our clubhouse staff all live within them and as a result we cannot reopen on 4th July.

Also all members who live within have been asked to refrain from coming to the Club.

Just have to hope that this proves to be a short term issue.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Which club do you play at MetalMickie? We’ll have to arrange a round when we get the opportunity.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In my experience the majority that settled in Leicester from East Africa were of Hindu origin.

Obviously there is a strong Muslim community but proportionally I would expect it to be less than it is in cities like Birmingham and Bradford.

Complex issues of housing density, number per household. And a very large proportion of the older people do not speak or read English: those are also at the vulnerable end of the age spectrum.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Serious stuff now.

Whilst our Club is outside the limits our clubhouse staff all live within them and as a result we cannot reopen on 4th July.

Also all members who live within have been asked to refrain from coming to the Club.

Just have to hope that this proves to be a short term issue.

Interesting, this is not something we are doing at the moment although a little further outside of lockdown area than you we never the less have a good number of members who do live in the City. Suspect your club are being a little over-cautious pending further advice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that is totally false and PHE had been in constant discussion with Leicester council and local health authority and there was always an intent to close the town down. Whether that had filtered out to the wider public is a different discussion

D

Deleted member 18588

Interesting, this is not something we are doing at the moment although a little further outside of lockdown area than you we never the less have a good number of members who do live in the City. Suspect your club are being a little over-cautious pending further advice.
Hardly over cautious.

The rules are that those living within the Red Zone should not travel unnecessarily.

We might think golf is necessary but I somehow don't think the authorities would agree with us.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that is totally false and PHE had been in constant discussion with Leicester council and local health authority and there was always an intent to close the town down. Whether that had filtered out to the wider public is a different discussion

You should have realised that on this Forum conspiracy theories always trump and gain more exposure than the truth - the city was mentioned by PHE a couple of weeks ago. I fear the Labour Mayor may be a little disingenuous.