Leicester Lockdown ?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Are Leicester-ites allowed to drive to Bernard Castle if they dont have childcare in place?

Well if the opticians are closed then what else is any right thinking person supposed to do? Some happily bemoan beach goers for not having any common sense and not thinking about the consequences of their actions, but as this is now clearly a government authorised way of testing your eyesight (I mean what other explanation is there for it) it seems common sense to me. So unless they reopen the opticians then you've got to expect an increase in essential trips to Barnard Castle. Especially from blokes if it happens to be their wives birthday.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is there no responsibility on people to speak the language of the country they are living in?
I agree, using language is a very lame excuse. Sure there may be elderly relatives that have moved here but I'm pretty sure that EVERY household will have at least 1 English speaking person (or access to one English speaking person) that can translate if necessary.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, using language is a very lame excuse. Sure there may be elderly relatives that have moved here but I'm pretty sure that EVERY household will have at least 1 English speaking person (or access to one English speaking person) that can translate if necessary.
I know there are some cultural issues where women in particular, who have not been to school in the UK, are not encouraged to speak English by their husbands, to keep insular within their community, but as you say at least one person in the household will speak English. Looking at the other areas that are seeing high numbers, in the NE for example, the issues with high density populations would seem to be more relevant and understandable. Very hard to keep apart when you are squashed together.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely, as test and trace is working, this isn't actually necessary?
And if, as is rumoured(!), the increase in recorded cases is a result of a more widely available testing regime in Leicester, why would anyone in their right mind agree to be tested in future?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
And if, as is rumoured(!), the increase in recorded cases is a result of a more widely available testing regime in Leicester, why would anyone in their right mind agree to be tested in future?

AFAIK they only added the increased testing ability in recent days after they noticed the spike.
Maybe another classic Facebook rumour doing the rounds?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
AFAIK they only added the increased testing ability in recent days after they noticed the spike.
Maybe another classic Facebook rumour doing the rounds?
Entirely possible, hence my caveat. The point remains though, why get tested if the result is a shutdown of your city?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure, I guess on the flipside, imagine the uproar if extra testing wasn't rolled out after a spike?
Truly. It's a lose/lose situation atm.
In more tin foil hat news, the most plausible reasons I have read for a spike are the prevelance of food processing plants in the area and incoming infections flown in from parts of the world currently experiencing high rates of infection. Neither are anything to do with the general behaviour of the local population, and would probably be better addressed by specific, targetted action. I see no hope of this occurring.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely, as test and trace is working, this isn't actually necessary?
This is how test and trace works though. It is what they have done so well in S.Korea, Germany etc. We either accept this is the way to restrict spreading this or accept it is going to be here with restrictions for a lot longer than in other countries. Watch the Panorama programme from last night, it was quite interesting. It particularly covered test and trace in Germany well, how they do it, why it works.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so the government implements it's Level X lockdown plan for Leicester - problem is the good folks of Leicester don't seem to have much idea of what it means in any detail and have any expectations on how long Level X Lockdown is likely to last.

As Bernard Jenkins (and others) have been calling for for some time - public explanations of what went right before and what went wrong - and from the lessons learned here - dear public - are the various levels of Lockdown and what will each mean for you. So that when we have to implement a lockdown in a town, city and region you all understand what is required of you and why.

hmmm - instead Johnson continues to talk about the government following the science and doing everything at the right time - despite where we are today - and he refers to his plan for controlling the pandemic as 'whack-a-bloody-mole' as if controlling the pandemic is a game.

Yet even at this very moment he is saying we should learn the lessons. We need to have already learned them and put plans in place accordingly. But no. We have whack-a-bleedin-mole.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is how test and trace works though. It is what they have done so well in S.Korea, Germany etc. We either accept this is the way to restrict spreading this or accept it is going to be here with restrictions for a lot longer than in other countries. Watch the Panorama programme from last night, it was quite interesting. It particularly covered test and trace in Germany well, how they do it, why it works.
I agree, i was trying to point out that our test and trace is a bit more chocolate teapot than it might be.

D

Deleted member 18588

And so the government implements it's Level X lockdown plan for Leicester - problem is the good folks of Leicester don't seem to have much idea of what it means in any detail and have any expectations on how long Level X Lockdown is likely to last.

As Bernard Jenkins (and others) have been calling for for some time - public explanations of what went right before and what went wrong - and from the lessons learned here - dear public - are the various levels of Lockdown and what will each mean for you. So that when we have to implement a lockdown in a town, city and region you all understand what is required of you and why.

hmmm - instead Johnson continues to talk about the government following the science and doing everything at the right time - despite where we are today - and he refers to his plan for controlling the pandemic as 'whack-a-bloody-mole' as if controlling the pandemic is a game.

Yet even at this very moment he is saying we should learn the lessons. We need to have already learned them and put plans in place accordingly. But no. We have whack-a-bleedin-mole.
You really can't wait to show yourself up as a know all.

You have absolutely no idea what the "good folk of Leicester" might know about the local restrictions but don't let that get in the way of your anti- government daily moan.

BTW I have just returned from Leicester, but I didn't see you there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, i was trying to point out that our test and trace is a bit more chocolate teapot than it might be.
I had not quite grasped how important it is, why it should have been done from day 1, properly, before watching last night. A half hearted approach is very much chocolate teapot territory.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had not quite grasped how important it is, why it should have been done from day 1, properly, before watching last night. A half hearted approach is very much chocolate teapot territory.
Yep. It really shouldn't be necessary to shut down a city to isolate a (relatively) small number of cases likely related to quite specific kocations/workplaces/incoming flights. But here we are, 4 months in....

D

Deleted member 18588

Yep. It really shouldn't be necessary to shut down a city to isolate a (relatively) small number of cases likely related to quite specific kocations/workplaces/incoming flights. But here we are, 4 months in....
10% of all last week's new cases in England were apparently in Leicester.

If we accept that the virus is with us for the foreseeable future then surely action was necessary.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
10% of all last week's new cases in England were apparently in Leicester.

If we accept that the virus is with us for the foreseeable future then surely action was necessary.
If the action would make the blindest bit of difference, then maybe so. But will it? I dont think so. Given that we have been in lockdown for 3 months, how will more lockdown of the general population make things different?
As said above, there are almost certainly specific reasons for the rise. If we concentrated on a functioning policy on incoming flights and contact isolation it would surely be more effective than this.
Also, lets be a bit more sensible about numbers. Many of them are very low at present, so just quoting perecentages is not particularly illuminating.