Learner Driver Insurance?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Daughter sat her test 4 years ago, but failed it. She then went off to Uni, and was too busy to crack on with the driving.

She is now ready to start again. The wife is going to get a quote to add her to her policy, but I’ve just seen that it’s possible to get a separate “on-demand” learner only policy, you buy a set amount of driving days over a number of policy days, eg 28 driving days over 90 policy days.

Anyone got experience of this kind of policy?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On demand certainly looks good on paper but how does it work if you suddenly decide you have a bit of spare time and will take the learner out spur of the moment? Do you have to specify in advance when you have the days?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On demand certainly looks good on paper but how does it work if you suddenly decide you have a bit of spare time and will take the learner out spur of the moment? Do you have to specify in advance when you have the days?
It comes with an app. If you decide to go out last minute, you just register today as a driving day before you head out, and you are covered. They advise you not to register days in advance in case something comes up and you can't go ahead.

You can also top up on driving days or policy days if you are running short of either.

It's quite a clever concept.

Morfeen75

Visit site
I like the idea of “on demand” insurance.

28 driving days over a 90 day period is £65.

I suppose it what suits each individual circumstances. We looked at a similar policy but decided we didnt want to be restricted on usage. My son used it right throughout of that summer so we most definetly got our value for money.

Springveldt

Visit site
Daughter sat her test 4 years ago, but failed it. She then went off to Uni, and was too busy to crack on with the driving.

She is now ready to start again. The wife is going to get a quote to add her to her policy, but I’ve just seen that it’s possible to get a separate “on-demand” learner only policy, you buy a set amount of driving days over a number of policy days, eg 28 driving days over 90 policy days.

Anyone got experience of this kind of policy?
I'd ask them for a quote to just put her on the policy, it wasn't that bad for us. My wife's insurance went from around £260 to £550 for the year with my daughter on as a learner which I was surprised at. When she passed her test 9 months later they wanted over £1500 to have her on the policy for the year.

In the end we ended up buying her a car and I was shocked that her insurance was "only" £1580 for the year with both me and the wife on it as drivers but my daughter is the main driver. I guess it's one of the advantages of living in the sticks, car insurance is cheaper. My niece over in Gateshead was something like £2800 for her first year and even her renewal is £2000 for a car that is 4 years older and cost £3K less than my daughters car.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd ask them for a quote to just put her on the policy, it wasn't that bad for us. My wife's insurance went from around £260 to £550 for the year with my daughter on as a learner which I was surprised at. When she passed her test 9 months later they wanted over £1500 to have her on the policy for the year.

In the end we ended up buying her a car and I was shocked that her insurance was "only" £1580 for the year with both me and the wife on it as drivers but my daughter is the main driver. I guess it's one of the advantages of living in the sticks, car insurance is cheaper. My niece over in Gateshead was something like £2800 for her first year and even her renewal is £2000 for a car that is 4 years older and cost £3K less than my daughters car.
The cars they can potentially hit will cost the same so this is why the price can be higher for someone in the city. It isn't just their own car they can damage

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Yes, will be comparing on demand learner insurance with the traditional route. The other advantage of learner insurance is it won't affect my wife's NCD if something did happen.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had learner driver insurance for both my daughters. They were the named driver, and you had to provide proof of provisional license every six months(if you still needed the insurance that is). As soon as you passed, you had to notify them, and the policy was then cancelled. In the scheme of things, it was a viable option and allowed me to sit with them many times without worry.
It also was taken into consideration when they passed and they then went onto a normal insurance policy, again of their own.