Home Emergency Cover

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You see my situation pretty correctly. I have ‘backup’ PoA to my wife’s PoA for her mums affairs. My BiL has separate PoA (don’t ask…🙄), but he seems not bothered/competent when it comes to sorting anything out, he just wants the ’power’….😡/🙄. My wife has left doing the legwork around sorting out my MiLs financial matters to me.

And so I find myself sorting out her H&C renewal and asking about HomeServe.
Surely then, it's just a matter of sending them a letter stating you're desire to cancel the contract and also contact the bank to cancel that direct debit/standing order. With you MIL now in a home they have no arguement against it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely then, it's just a matter of sending them a letter stating you're desire to cancel the contract and also contact the bank to cancel that direct debit/standing order. With you MIL now in a home they have no arguement against it.
Hopefully that’s all I need to do. I’m only a little uncertain as a previous insurer wouldn’t discuss her insurance with me over the phone as I wasn’t registered against her policy as someone to act on her behalf.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully that’s all I need to do. I’m only a little uncertain as a previous insurer wouldn’t discuss her insurance with me over the phone as I wasn’t registered against her policy as someone to act on her behalf.
I wasn't registered with many things with my mum, but they still allowed me to make the changes I wanted when they were confronted with a LPoA proof.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There’s two POA’s, one being Power of Attorney and the other being Lasting Power of Attorney. LPA is the one to have, especially if they go down the dementia route.
My MiL has LPAs for Mrs SILH in place 👍

Aside…Just a few days my MiL was diagnosed with onset of dementia (though she hadn’t yet been told this) as her short term memory is now very poor, almost gone for even stuff the day before (on Boxing Day she’d forgotten Christmas Day had been…😕)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wasn't registered with many things with my mum, but they still allowed me to make the changes I wanted when they were confronted with a LPoA proof.
I’ll find out what proof they might need as I have the relevant LPA scanned. I’m not sure if the policy is for a year and you cant cancel ‘midstream’ - even though she‘s paying quarterly by DD.

Meanwhile…my BiL has asked that I compare HomeServe Ts&Cs with those of cover provided alongside H&C cover. As if I can be bothered with that faff…and so I ask the nice folks on here for help 😘

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll find out what proof they might need as I have the relevant LPA scanned.

Meanwhile…my BiL has asked that I compare HomeServe Ts&Cs with those of cover provided alongside H&C cover. As if I can be bothered with that faff…and so I ask the nice folks on here for help 😘
Tell him then if he wants either, then he has to enactit and pay for it. As far as your MIL is concerned, her policy will be cancelled as it's her money paying for it and she doesn't live their anymore.
Will her house have to be sold to help fund her care home fees?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ll find out what proof they might need as I have the relevant LPA scanned. I’m not sure if the policy is for a year and you cant cancel ‘midstream’ - even though she‘s paying quarterly by DD.

Ref your BiL, if I remember correctly he’s not a well man. For the sake of an easy life long term I’d do as he asks - you know you’re going to end up doing it eventually anyway. If you do it now, you’ll have all the stuff to hand if something crops up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ref your BiL, if I remember correctly he’s not a well man. For the sake of an easy life long term I’d do as he asks - you know you’re going to end up doing it eventually anyway. If you do it now, you’ll have all the stuff to hand if something crops up.
Correct B…and as much as a little gratitude and thanks from him might be nice, I’m sorting this stuff for my MiL and Mrs, and him.

Meanwhile he’ll continue to live in the house for however long…MiL has sufficient funding for a few years about 6) before we’d have to look to the house to fund her care.