Churchillian Home Insurance ripoff

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Got my Home Insurance renewal quote from Churchill. £350.56, including the basic cover of £263.20, the rest was for Legal protection / emergency cover. Thought that was a bit steep so consulted the Meerkats & got 52 quotes, the lowest being £106, plus one from Churchill for the same cover as I've got now for £169.12. Rank Churchill to tell them I wasn't renewing. The girl on the phone said, "Let me see what I can do". I told her I didn't want her to do anything but cancel my renewal. Today, three days later, I get a letter from Churchill. "Thank you for contacting us for a home insurance quote" How does £126.56 sound?

How do these people get away with this? I have friends not so financially astute who simply renew automatically each year & it must be costing them a fortune. It almost amounts to fraud, especially when old people are involved. I had the same thing from SAGA Insurance a few years ago and that's worse because they know they're dealing with old people.

The moral of this story is clear.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They get away with it because so many people do not check. It is the same with gas, electric etc. For many people I say more fool them. However, big however, for the many, mainly elderly people, who are not computer literate it is appalling and I wish a plague on these firms that have this attitude

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As LT says, me old mum and dad do not have a clue when it comes to renewing bills etc. I dread to think how much extra they have had to pay over the years.

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
Companies no longer reward loyalty by discounting prices, they only care about new customers as that's increasing market share. Obviously the customers leaving is on slide 2 of the presentation by which point the shareholders have stopped reading/paying attention.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It is shocking how they get away with it, in my experience car insurance companies have been the worst for it, but it is the same with any service provider, even sky/virgin keep putting up heir prices.

I haven't used them, but for those interested take a look at www.lookaftermybills.com , they appeared on dragons Den and got a dragon on board. It works like other comparison websites, but they claim to be better by auto switching you at renewal time to the best deal for your requirements, so in theory you just sign up once and that's it done.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
It is what it is - most people want their investments to go up and costs to go down. Investments ie stocks and shares usually only go up if companies are able to charge more or find new products

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got my mum and dad to look at compare sites etc a few years ago after they stuck with the same companies year after year. Think in the end they saved around £1000 for the year by switching.

I got my car insurance renewal through last month and it had gone up by around 35% which was around £115. Rang them and told them no details had changed and that I was cancelling. I didn't even do any comparisons and told them that. In the end my car insurance this year is a £1 more than last year.

Tashyboy

Visit site
It is what it is - most people want their investments to go up and costs to go down. Investments ie stocks and shares usually only go up if companies are able to charge more or find new products
Most people dont have “ investments” and above all else want to feel valued as a customer and not ripped off.
PS missis T rang Sky yesterday and said bill has gone stupid again. Its now £16 a month better for 18 months with more to watch.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Shock horror, age just had me car insurance through, it's gone down £16. What's that all about. Still checking online though.😉

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Most people dont have “ investments” and above all else want to feel valued as a customer and not ripped off.
PS missis T rang Sky yesterday and said bill has gone stupid again. Its now £16 a month better for 18 months with more to watch.
Everyone has investments their state pension and personal pension some of those funds being invested in companies on the basis the value will go up or a decent annual return is paid. The only way the value of that company is going up is either by increased profits from either charging more or innovative products.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Shock horror, age just had me car insurance through, it's gone down £16. What's that all about. Still checking online though.😉
So your car insurance has come down and you are still not happy - what price reduction did you want before you felt valued as a customer and not ripped off.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
In the past month i have moved my car and house insurance from Aviva and Santander to Esure and saved £300, also had a renewal through from More Than for dogs insurance, first year it was £207 then £224 last year this year renewal £297 so did not even bother calling them.
Went online and got same cover from Tesco for £168,paperwork came through a few days ago and it is underwritten by Royal and Sun alliance the same as with More Than, unbelievable !!!

Tashyboy

Visit site
So your car insurance has come down and you are still not happy - what price reduction did you want before you felt valued as a customer and not ripped off.
Seeing as you don't get sarcasm del I will explain it. Every year my insurance like everything else has gone up. This year it has gone down hence my shock horror comment. 👍
PS, can get it £10 cheaper but won't bother moving.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Everyone has investments their state pension and personal pension some of those funds being invested in companies on the basis the value will go up or a decent annual return is paid. The only way the value of that company is going up is either by increased profits from either charging more or innovative products.
So where does a companies priority lie, with its customers or its " investors". I don't buy my insurances etc to keep a pensioner I don't know happy. And seeing as the government is robbing half of me pension anyway I deffo don't buy summat overpriced to keep them happy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Everyone has investments their state pension...
No investment involved in that!

... The only way the value of that company is going up is either by increased profits from either charging more or innovative products.
So reduced costs, more efficient use of resources and greater sales, from general expansion, don't contribute a all!

I agree with MiB's earlier description! Daft post!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID decided to shop around for a new gas/electric provider. Moving to EDF from EoN and we're saving around £260 per year. It's laziness from the majority of the public that insurance companies and utility providers pounce on knowing most won't waste time looking for better deals.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not just insurance that do it. I've just searched two quotes for going away with the kids for October half term. Half term dates are 19/10/18 to 28/10/18. The first quote is for 11 nights from 18/10 and the second is for 10 nights from 19/10. How is it possible that I can stay for 11 nights from 18/10 for £105 less than the cost of 10 nights from 19/10? Rip Off.png

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Seeing as you don't get sarcasm del I will explain it. Every year my insurance like everything else has gone up. This year it has gone down hence my shock horror comment. 👍
PS, can get it £10 cheaper but won't bother moving.
I get sarcasm - you said people just wanted to feel valued and not ripped off by this I presumed you meant when you get your renewal you would go that’s fine I’ll pay that and move on for a year. I was just asking at what price point would you do that or will you always check the price elsewhere.